R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Upholstry questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
claytonl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upholstry questions

I'm looking to place my order by the end of the month and I have a couple questions that can only be answered by someone with experience. I am trying to decide between leatherette seats or the checkered cloth. On the leatherette, how uncomfortable do these get on hot summer days? I will be getting the windows tinted eventually (not brave enough to ask dealer for any freebies like that), so I know that will help, as will the white roof. On the checkered cloth, does the heated seat option work as well through cloth? Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
MCEnvy
3rd Gear
My leatherette Mini is on order, but I've had a previous Bimmer with leatherette seats. Obviously they aren't as comfortable as leather and certainly on long drives you can really tell the difference. They get kind of sticky if your back is at all wet (came in from the rain), and I'd say your back sweats more than with leather. Having said that, I got them again with the Mini, as I just didn't feel it was worth the extra cash. If it was an MCS and I would be in it more, I'd definitely go for the leather upgrade.

Shouldn't feel any difference in heated seats between leatherette vs cloth.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CR Cooper = Leatherette and CWP = Love them ! I have tinted windows at 20% all around. The leatherette is as close to leather as you can imagine without the high cost. It wears better and is easier to maintain than the other options.

PW Cooper = Leather/Cloth combo seats and NO CWP = . They look nice but you have to be careful not to stain the cloth. This is my other half's car and she regrets not getting the CWP with the heated seats.

JB MCS convertible = Leather with CWP = . Looks nice, smells great, and keeps the fanny warm in the winter like the leatherette. But they are showing a little wear at 35,000 miles, take more time and effort to keep looking nice.

IMO... get the leatherette. Next MINI I order, I'll be sticking with that option.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've not ever had the cloth in any of our 4 MINIs. We've had Leather in 2 and Leatherette in 2. Liked them both - didn't see much difference in the Leather so we went with Leatherette in the Clubman. We used the $$ on other options.

Some people love the cloth. But for us, it just wasn't a good option.

Donna

Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by claytonl
I'm looking to place my order by the end of the month and I have a couple questions that can only be answered by someone with experience. I am trying to decide between leatherette seats or the checkered cloth. On the leatherette, how uncomfortable do these get on hot summer days? I will be getting the windows tinted eventually (not brave enough to ask dealer for any freebies like that), so I know that will help, as will the white roof. On the checkered cloth, does the heated seat option work as well through cloth? Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

where are you located? I'm in southern California and went with cloth. I've had leatherette in an older bmw and it was hot enough to give me a minor burn on the hot days. I ended up carrying a towel to put over the seats on hot days.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I'm a snob and I don't like fake things. Fake diamonds, fake handbags, fake leather... You get the idea. My mother didn't raise me that way, but that's the way I am. If I can't get the real thing I don't get it.

I love the cloth seats. The checkers are kind of cute. And the heated seats get REALLY warm. Some of my passengers are a little surprised, but I love it. I have tinted windows, but I got the car last August, so I suppose I can't really tell you how they fare in a hot July day yet.

I think like everything that's optional it's whatever you like. The leatherette really isn't that bad, it's just not my thing.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
claytonl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
where are you located? I'm in southern California and went with cloth. I've had leatherette in an older bmw and it was hot enough to give me a minor burn on the hot days. I ended up carrying a towel to put over the seats on hot days.
I'm in Kansas, where hot and humid is normal for the entire summer. Although, this year has been a lot cooler. My current ride has leather that got worn out, and the seats now have cloth seat covers.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I had gray leather seats in my former 2006 Mustang GT and now I have black/gray leatherette seats in my CR '08 MCS both with dark limo tint and living in South Florida with a scorching sun and 90+ degree temperature and high humidity never a problem with sweating or sticking to the seats.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have cloth seats. My only complaint is that they don't have the lumbar support that the leather seats have. Not sure whether leatherette has lumbar support, or not.

Haven't had any problem with stains (black cloth). There are plenty of detailing products you can buy to clean and protect them from stains.