R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Looking to get a Mini - What exactly should we get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Andres G
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to get a Mini - What exactly should we get?

Hello All,

I've introduced myself in the welcome forum and now wanted to go ahead and post my questions to see if I can get some direction from the people in the forum on what exactly should we get. The car will be driven mostly by my wife (just married) but I definitely know the Mini is the type of car we'll be fighting each other over the keys when the weekend comes... (I'll be driving the company car weekly)

First, a little background: My wife and I are of european descent, born in Argentina and moved up to the US on temporary business assignment, so we're probably going to be here for about 4 years. We both like the Mini and think of it as a nice and peppy toy, great for tooling around town and short distance sprints out of Northwest Arkansas were we live (Kansas City is 150 miles away, about 200 miles to St. Louis).

In the past, she has only had a few small urban cars, such as the Fiat Punto, the Citroen C3 and the Peugeot 206. I on the other hand, have previously owned many different cars, but would believe only 3 are really worth mentioning: The one I loved the most was my 1994 Alfa Romeo Zagato, then came the Citroen Xantia VTS and then the E46 M3.

We believe the Mini Cooper S can sum up most of the sporty feel I am looking for while she can still get the small size type vehicle she feels more comfortable with. We have almost sorted out the basics on Color (Black or Metallic Grey with Black roof), Engine (Turbo) and some other options (Panorama Roof, Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, etc), but would love to hear opinions on some other stuff, so here come the questions:

1 - Sports Package = Harsh ride?
I love the look of the Web spoke wheels that come with the sports package, but something in the back of my mind says the combination of 17's with a sports suspension setup will end up with a bone jarring ride and a very upset blonde cooking my dinner...

The question is: Is the ride really that tough? Also, is there a way to get the wheels only without the sports package that makes sense financially (Using the configurator online it seems wheels will cost more than the package if I get them just by themselves)?

2 - Leather Lounge interior...
I have always enjoyed a nicely done interior, especially when it combines with the right exterior color. We're getting a black or dark grey car, so interior options we've looked for are: Redwood Red (which seems more like tobacco when I see it on the configurator), and Black with the white piping. Anyone here has either? I have looked for pictures with the search function but could not find any.

Also, the Tuscan Beige seems like a great pick, but kind of out of place in a Black or Grey Mini... any ideas?

3 - Packages - What to get?
It looks like it only make sense to get every package (aside from the question on the sports pkg), although we've chosen to get only the Sports, Cold Weather and the Premium packages and not the Convenience. Is there a reason why I should get this one as well?

4 - Other Options/Extras
Thinking about getting stuff like illuminated door sills, chrome exterior mirrors and hood scoop, the driving lights and bonnet stripes. Are we missing a "must have extra" that the car has-to-have?

I guess this will get the answers coming. Please feel free to suggest any additions to the car we should consider making.

Thanks,
Andres G

Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
LOP
3rd Gear
We got the sports package with the 17" runflat webspoke wheels and do not feel it is any harsher of a ride than any small sports car. Mrs. LOP drives it daily and loves how it hugs the road.

We also opted for every option we could think of and have not regretted anything except the ipod adapter because it doesn't work yet, but the dealer is waiting on us to return.

The GPS is kinda tough but does work for us anyway. The bluetooth was a must for us.

We are also very happy we got the powerfold mirrors and the backup sensors.

We got an auto, but I occassionaly drive it in manual mode using the paddle shifters, but we are pleased with how the car handles in auto mode.

We may be different, but we typically order any vehicle with just about every option available...if we didn't, then there would be something later that we wish we would've ordered and if we get something we never use, then oh well, at least it is there for the next owner....

Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
redwood lounge lether would look very nice with black or dark gray exterior IMHO.. Here is the black LL if this help. I think it adds alot to the interior.

Last edited by emtrey; 03-30-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
LUCK219
5th Gear
I just picked up my MCS a little more than a week ago. She's dark silver and black. I have some pics in my gallery if you'd like to see.

I liked the lounge leather but it didn't really seem worth it to me (since my previous seats were just plain boring cloth) so i went w/ the simple leatherette.

I did get the prem and cold packages but not the convenient, as you've decided. I didn't get illuminating sills because as i later found out, the illuminating door handles, etc light up. I didn't know this when i ordered though.

Depending on what kinda look you're going for, i love the driving lamps. That was one sure-fire thing that i knew i wanted when i placed my order. I love the driving lamps! =)

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Shifti
2nd Gear
Here's my take. 17" tires- Yes. Driving lights and bonnet stripes- Yes, Yes. I didn't get the driving lights and I am still kicking myself.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 AM
CLAG
3rd Gear
make sure you get the limited slip diff and DSC (in sport package).

ride with sport package is not bad IMO (based on test drives only, but I ordered it)

have fun, there are lots of options !

Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andres G
I love the look of the Web spoke wheels that come with the sports package, but something in the back of my mind says the combination of 17's with a sports suspension setup will end up with a bone jarring ride and a very upset blonde cooking my dinner...
The factory wheels are quite heavy at 22.5 lbs (10.2 kios) each, and they are expensive. My recommendation is to get the most inexpensive 16" wheels with the car and buy some aftermarket 17" wheels that are lighter weight. You can find lots of recommendations in the Tires, Wheels, & Brakes forum here on NAM. Lighter wheels will give you better performance, braking, handling, and a more comfortable ride. You can use the factory 16" for snow tires, if needed, or sell them on the NAM marketplace forum.

I have a set of light weight 16x7 wheels, and a set of 17x7 wheels. There is a significant difference in ride harshness with the 17".

The question is: Is the ride really that tough? Also, is there a way to get the wheels only without the sports package that makes sense financially (Using the configurator online it seems wheels will cost more than the package if I get them just by themselves)?
I've not ridden in a car with the sport suspension, so someone else will need to answer that. There were no cars available to demo when I ordered my 2007 MCS. I can say that the stock suspension is still lots of fun on twisty roads. If you want to improve it, a 19mm sway bar is said to be the most cost-effective upgrade.

I have always enjoyed a nicely done interior, especially when it combines with the right exterior color. We're getting a black or dark grey car, so interior options we've looked for are: Redwood Red (which seems more like tobacco when I see it on the configurator), and Black with the white piping. Anyone here has either? I have looked for pictures with the search function but could not find any.
I was going to order lounge leather with my Pure Silver MCS, but did not like the look of the white piping when I saw it at the dealer. Takes all the dignity out of it, IMO. Mickey Mouse would be happy with it.

I really liked the Redwood Lounge Leather, but was afraid it would not go well with the Pure Silver paint. I think I was mistaken and wish I had ordered it. The Redwood leather reminds me of a 1960's vintage Jaguar family friends used to have. A very classic British sports car look.

Also, the Tuscan Beige seems like a great pick, but kind of out of place in a Black or Grey Mini... any ideas?
I haven't seen it in person, but think it should be fine in black or Dark Silver.

It looks like it only make sense to get every package (aside from the question on the sports pkg), although we've chosen to get only the Sports, Cold Weather and the Premium packages and not the Convenience. Is there a reason why I should get this one as well?
If you don't get the Sports Package, I highly recommend getting DSC. It is an excellent safety feature.

I have the 2007 version of Cold Weather Package (even though I'm in California) and like the heated seats. They warm up much faster than the heater, and a back warmer is very nice. The rain-sensing wipers work well.

I also have the Convenience Package. I thought the Comfort Access was a bit gimmicky, but I've changed my mind. I really like it. I just keep the fob in my pocket and never take it out. I can unlock the car, start it, lock it and automatically roll up all windows without touching the fob. Very nice. Once you get used to it you will think other systems are just too archaic.

I'm not a fan of the sunroof. It is too large and hard to block out. It also adds about 60 lbs. to the very top of the car. There are numerous posts here about rattles and other problems with the sunroof. In sunny areas, tinting it seems to be a must, but some dealers wont do it because it can cause the glass to overheat (trapped energy). There seems to be some tints that don't have that problem, but figure the added cost of getting it done.
4 - Other Options/Extras
Thinking about getting stuff like illuminated door sills, chrome exterior mirrors and hood scoop, the driving lights and bonnet stripes. Are we missing a "must have extra" that the car has-to-have?
The most commonly mentioned wish-I-had-ordered items are:
Anthracite Headliner - looks much better than stock, IMO.

Rear Fog Lights
- the MCS looks like something is missing without them from the rear, and a bank of toggle switches has a missing switch without them. If there is thick fog in your area, they make it easier for cars behind you to see you.

Park Distance Control - the visibility out the back of the MINI is not that great, due to the high waist and rear headrests. Low items behind you are hard to see. PDC helps. It also makes it easier to get into really tight parking places. If you have the NAV, a graphic shows you the area where things are getting close.

NAV - works well for navigation and traffic jam avoidance. The NAV replaces the cartoon speedometer with a more impressive screen and a circumnavigating speedo. It integrates more than just navigation. The screen also controls the audio system. It displays CD and iPod playlists (with iPod Integration). If you have the Bluetooth option, it manages your address book, dialing, etc. It also is where you set most options for the car. NAV equipped cars have one or two options not available without the NAV (don't recall which ones).

Audo - The HIFI audio upgrade isn't bad if you replace the speakers with something better. The HIFI amp isn't bad. IMO, the most cost effective way to get decent sound in the MINI. If you want to spend $3,000 on an aftermarket sound system, don't get the HIFI option.

LSD - the limited slip differential helps the S get its torque to the ground more effectively. Without it, the computer ASC system can bog the engine down when you start to get wheel spin. This can be disconcerting when making a left turn in front of oncoming traffic. Adding LSD later is extremely expensive.

Those are the things that come to mind at the moment. I've probably forgotten something.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:38 PM
macmike
Neutral
Go for the convenience package. I picked up a Cooper S hardtop with conv. and premium packages last month and love it. The best part is starting the car with the key in my pocket. The other features are great and well worth the cost.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
flaco
4th Gear
Don't worry...the ride is very comfortable and not jarring. It was actually a little soft for me and I live in a big bumpy city.

The Redwood looks a little to orange to me in person and I fear both it and the Beige won't wear with time and may negatively affect resale value. Their pretty personal choices, but that's just my opinion. Either way, don't get the leatherette unless you have dogs....they are extremely uncomfortable in the heat and on long rides.

Make sure you get the upgrade audio system, especially if you plan road trips.

I would opt for the all season tires because you'll encounter cold and snowy weather at some point and they don't lower perfomance measurably for the average driver.

Definitely get the self dimming mirrors. The car sits fairly low relative to other cars and the glaring headlights from other cars will drive you crazy.

Driving lights aren't really necessary if you get the xenon lights which I recommend.

Finally, make sure you have a good dealer nearby with loaner cars....the new models are problem prone and you'll need the flexibility to take it in for servicing. Not everyone has these problems, but enough do - I speak from personal experience. Mine's been in about once a month.

Best of luck and enjoy your stay in the States!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Andres G
Neutral
Thanks a lot guys! This is excellent feedback.

I'll consider the sports package some more in regards of the wheel choice. I wonder if some BBS' would fit nicely in the mini? I had a beautiful set of LM's that would look awesome in this car. Any suggestions on wheel/tire packages? I will check the Tires, Wheels and Brakes section as suggested by Robin.

Anyone have pictures of a Redwood Red interior? I wonder how it really looks like in person. Also, what happens when you order the car at the time of delivery? Is it true that the dealer owns it until delivery and that if you do not like what you've got, you can place another order?

It seems that some of my concerns about reliability are something to think about... closest' dealer to home will be in KC, so I do need a quite reliable car if I do not want to spend my weekends rushing up the Missouri state line to get the car serviced. Flaco, could you tell me what the issues were in your case?

Also, thanks for the must-have suggestions. I was tempted by the anthracite headliner and is now in the package, as are the dimming mirrors and the rear fogs. Still wondering on the LSD as I promised myself this car would not be tracked (I hate when she says "brakes are acting funny after you took the car to the track") .

Thanks again and please keep the info coming!
Andres

Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
Hi there...

I'm also of European descent, and have driven smaller cars. I use my 08 MCS as a daily driver, both for a freeway commute, and around town for errands. We also thought we'd share the car, but actually my husband has hardly had a chance to drive it. It's my commuter, and primarily my car, and I love it!

Originally Posted by Andres G
we've chosen to get only the Sports, Cold Weather and the Premium packages and not the Convenience. Is there a reason why I should get this one as well?
Yes! I picked up my 08 MCS about 6 weeks ago, and the convenience package is a must IMO. The multi-function steering wheel (MFSW) is fantastic, especially for the bluetooth phone operation - handsfree phone operation is a must in California.

I also love not having to have the key in my hand to open the car - leaves me with a hand free in case of emergencies. I used to carry my car key pointed out as a security measure when going out to my car in a dark parking lot; it's good to consider security concerns IMO. We girls do tend to think of ways to protect ourselves in a parking lot situation... - hope I don't sound too paranoid, just trying to be aware of my surroundings...could be something for you and your wife to consider.

I didn't get the sports package b/c I wasn't planning any too wild driving, but I still got the DSC (just in case). I wish I had gotten the LSD (just from what I've read here), but at the time I reasoned that I would be doing much extreme cornering. It's the #1 rated "must have" item (rated here on NAM) and I think for re-sale it would be an item in demand.

I didn't get the NAV system (get a Garmin instead for $500.00), or the parking assist, but I don't have many tight parking situations.

Well, that's it from me. It sounds like you're going with leather which sounds great (I have the leatherette - looks OK, but I do find it hot mid-back after a while).

Enjoy your MINI

Old 03-30-2008, 07:46 PM
surlycat
2nd Gear
P.S.

If you do decide to get the convenience package, make sure you check ahead to get one of the phones that is compatible with the MINI system. I get the impression that not all phones are recognized by their bluetooth system. But, I could be wrong about that....

Old 03-30-2008, 09:47 PM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
You need to see the Redwood Lounge Leather in person...it is not well represented in the configurator at all. I personally love it and ordered it in my Astro Black S. I would say it is...brighter and richer in person. Looks really nice with Piano Black. I can certainly see people not liking the color though, so you should check it out.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 PM
japtor
2nd Gear
All subjective, so I can only suggest doing a test drive and seeing how it is for yourself, hopefully the test drive route isn't completely smooth. I drove a 328 (with it's sport package) and the mini back to back on a road with some bumps and found the mini to be noticeably stiffer, but not too bad (for me at least). The 3 felt pretty smooth (but not overly soft) even over the bumps, similar to my brother's old (2004) 3. No clue how the other mini setups compare though.

As for wheels, if you really want the web spokes get the package + the spokes upgrade. Getting the wheels separately isn't worth the cost. Otherwise I would really suggest just getting aftermarket ones cause they'll cost way less.

Originally I was thinking about getting the regular black leather cause I didn't like the look of the gray cloth w/leatherette in pics, but when I saw it in person the gray was actually closer to black and didn't look bad. I just went with that instead and saved the $1500 (...then spent $500 on piano black + blue color line).

Convenience is pointless...but cool. Considering the cost of crap in the package separately, even if you just want a few things it's usually more cost effective to just get the whole package.

4 - Other Options/Extras
Nav is probably the main one I wouldn't go without. The giant speedo and whole center stack looks kinda crappy without it. Well another thing for the center stack aesthetically is the auto a/c, which isn't a bad feature on its own right.

If you go for tuscan beige (or redwood leather) you should get the anthracite headliner, just cause you'll have a funky clashing of different colors if you don't (light gray roof/pillars, black dash, colored doors). Otherwise you can go either way fine.