R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ECU Flashing/Programming/Re-Mapping on 07+. Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Marwan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU Flashing/Programming/Re-Mapping on 07+. Is it possible?

Hi guys, I do not know if this is sad or good information. But I'm quoting a friend of mine who's working at Mini Plant in Oxford:

"But remember that your R53 only has 3 ECU's in the car! With the NEWER MINI's you'll have no chance of changing to a non factory specified parts, cuz all the ECU's are linked and talk to each other, and if one of them so much as changes a digit you wont even get the thing started!"

The purpose of my thread is not to debate if the above information are right or wrong, because I'm sure they are right. I'm asking how would the new Mini owners modify their cars? Would it be a hard challenge for vendors?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marwan
"With the NEWER MINI's you'll have no chance of changing to a non factory specified parts, cuz all the ECU's are linked and talk to each other, and if one of them so much as changes a digit you wont even get the thing started!"

The purpose of my thread is not to debate if the above information are right or wrong, because I'm sure they are right.
There are already a few aftermarket piggyback ECU's on the market that seem to be working just fine and adding power as advertised... so you're right (in a sence): there's no debate whether your buddy is right or wrong... 'cause he's dead wrong!

Alta is using the Unichip piggy-back setup:

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...lug-N-Play-ECU

Helix was beginning beta testing in late August:

http://www.helix13.com/mini/news/article

From what I've heard on MINI2, GT Tuning is preparring to flash tune the R56, too:

http://www.gtt.uk.com/home.asp

...and I'm sure there are others out there. Just kidding about your friend. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about with regards to ECUs talking to each other, preferring factory parts and all that jazz. The bottom line though, is that aftermarket ECU tuning (as well as a slew of aftermarket hardware) is currently availible and by no means an impossibility with the R56.

Last edited by msh441; 12-23-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If they are similar to the way a Power Commander works on fuel injected motorcycles, Alta's piggy back unit wouldn't be detected by the car's system. A Power Commander goes between the injectors and the bike's ECU. The bike's ECU sends out signals just like it normally would but before those signals reach the injectors, the Power Commander changes them. This gives the ability to tune the bike for specific mods. So it could be possible. Depending on if the car is checking that the ECU instructions are being followed.