R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM
SharonandJames
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport suspension

We are in the process of ordering a 08 Mini S and need to know if the Sport Package which includes the sport suspension; does the sport suspension make a firmer ride. If in taking a trip is the sport suspension as comforable as not having it. We are looking for an easier ride rather than a hard suspension.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
old81
M6
Based on my experience with my 07 MCS, I would pass on the sport suspension. You can always mod out the suspension with lowering springs in the future, if you so desire.

My normal MINI suspension is pretty firm, but has a little body roll when your doing some spirited corners. I am going to add a 19mm sway after the first of the year. I have not lowered my MCS and I don't have a plan at this time to do so.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The body roll will be reduced with reducing the roll rate of the front, so you should get a larger front bar then turn the rear on how you want handling.

That being said you have to drop the front sub frame to install a front bar.

Factory front sway bar, and the rear are good. In terms of handling, i can slide the car with throttle lift most of the time, or one the high speed sweeps just a slight dab on the brakes. The SS dampers are faster then the stock ones and are good and perfect for the street for the track i will upgrading the Koni Yellows.

Last edited by Bhatch; 12-15-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:13 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I have the Sport Suspension on my 06 but when ordering my wifes 08 we decided to pass on it as it will be more of a commuter than anything and it wasnt worth the extra money and stiffer ride for her....and like old81 said you can always do after market suspension that is more to your liking.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM
pigwidgin
3rd Gear
If you say you're looking for an easier ride, I would probably pass on the sports suspension. I have an 07 Cooper S with the sport suspension and it's definitely a firm ride with my 17" wheels and stock run-flats. On a wash-board area on I-5 it can be positively jarring. My 16" winter wheels and snow tires seem to have made the ride a little softer, but that may just be a subjective thing. I happen to like the firmness of the sport suspension and am happy I bought it, but it really is a personal choice.

Kathy

Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Diploman
3rd Gear
The MINI, unusually lightweight at @ 2600 lbs, is quite sensitive to changes in the sprung.unsprung weight ratio. Otherwise expressed, a heavy wheel/tire combination will adversely affect suspension performance, while a lightweight wheel/tire set will confer a variety of handling benefits.

While the stock MINI suspension is still quite firm relative to the overall universe of automotive suspension, the sport suspension is firmer still. To achieve the comfortable ride you seek, your best bet is to get the stock suspension, then ditch the OEM wheels and runflats for a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels and non-runflats, which will allow you to save 12-14 lbs per corner without extravagant expense. The stock suspension will then be able to control the significantly reduced unsprung rotating mass as if it were the SS suspension with the OEM wheels/tires. You will experience a more comfortable, more compliant, better damped ride, better handling and a more satisfying MINI. Dollar for dollar, you will gain more handling benefits from reducing unsprung weight with a lightweight aftermarket wheel/tire setup than by opting for the sports suspension. The MINI's handling is remarkably responsive to unsprung weight reduction.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Diploman
The MINI, unusually lightweight at @ 2600 lbs, is quite sensitive to changes in the sprung.unsprung weight ratio.
My ITR was 2350 lbs with the spare and full wishbone suspension with a 1.8L motor. The MINI is unusually heavy for 2 seater FWD hatch back.

Although it is much safer then my ITR was.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhatch
My ITR was 2350 lbs with the spare and full wishbone suspension with a 1.8L motor. The MINI is unusually heavy for 2 seater FWD hatch back.

Although it is much safer then my ITR was.
My turbo sprint was 1460 lbs, same hp/torque as the MCS (after extensive work)..
safety equipment, a rigid unibody, nice interior, bigger wheels/tires/brakes.. it all adds up. Ya the mini's heavy by 80's econo-box standards, but compare it to an '07 VW Gti @ 3200 lbs, a 1-series coupe 3440 lbs, civic coupe 2890 lbs...

When we were at the dealer test driving a couple R56's one w/ the JCW kit and another regular, they were both quite smooth, the sport suspension had a bit less body roll. I think your choice of tires are going to make a bigger difference.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 PM
flaco
4th Gear
I had the Sport suspension on my R56 and hated it. It was like riding on marshmellows and my old Toyota performed better. Go for the JCW if you want to stay stock or just do aftermarket shocks and springs to lower the ridiculous height of the factory set up. I've gone through all three and ended up with a blend that looks good to me and rides well albeit with a little rubbing here and there.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
I have the sport suspension on my 07. I commute 120 miles a-day and have no problems with the ride.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
If you're looking for an easier ride then I'd pass on the sport suspension, and potentially also the 17" wheels (unless you prefer the looks of them).

Really the best way to tell what's right for you is to do a comparison test drive. Suspension stiffness is a very subjective thing - what's way too harsh for some is marshmallowy to someone else. Whether you feel it's too harsh/soft could also depend on what car you're coming from previously.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Robb's 07 Red MCS
2nd Gear
Sharon & James,

The only difference with the sport suspension is the roll bars (thicker on the sport); there's nothing different with the shock valving nor the spring rates between stock/sport. Unless you're going in to a tight turn, you'll never notice the difference between stock and sport set-ups.

Robb

Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Robb's 07 Red MCS
Sharon & James,

The only difference with the sport suspension is the roll bars (thicker on the sport); there's nothing different with the shock valving nor the spring rates between stock/sport. Unless you're going in to a tight turn, you'll never notice the difference between stock and sport set-ups.

Robb

That is false. go ask your parts guys for a parts list. Even the bump stops are different.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bhatch
That is false. go ask your parts guys for a parts list. Even the bump stops are different.
A quick check on realoem.com reveals that the sport suspension changes both front and back roll bars, the springs, and the shocks.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM
unorthodox
1st Gear
Is it a little firm, yup! But I would have it no other way. Can the aftermarket do things better, sure, but for what 99% of us need on the street you can't beat what MINI/BMW has done with the new generation.

Shawn Baumgartner
President
Unorthodox Racing