R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 New Garage Floor For the MINI...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:29 AM
FP
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
I think we're talking about two very different types of tile here.
I know, I was referring to spfdhed's application. He paid .59 per tile.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, so was I... at $.59 per sf, I'm fairly certain he's talking about the same kind of vinyl tiles the OP used on his floor.

The ones you're talking about at Sam's look more like the tiles in my garage, right ?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 AM
FP
5th Gear
Yeah, so was I... at $.59 per sf, I'm fairly certain he's talking about the same kind of vinyl tiles the OP used on his floor.

The ones you're talking about at Sam's look more like the tiles in my garage, right ?
OK, i got the posts confused . So how much did you pay for your tiles. I really liked what you did.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Those were around $3 a square foot when I bought them about 10 months ago. Not sure if they're still the same price right now though.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
This all started when I was given info on a site called The Garage Journal ( http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20 ). I was hooked.
I have lain over 900 square feet of VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile) following the instructions of the many links on the site. I have sealed, waxed and shined.
The final cost will be under a grand. I still get to rent a 17-inch high-speed polisher to put the final touch and mirror like finish on it.
Looks smart, but very slippery.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 AM
FP
5th Gear
Those were around $3 a square foot when I bought them about 10 months ago. Not sure if they're still the same price right now though.
You see, that's what I mean. That would be around $1800 for me, plus the incidentals. I struggle philosophically spending $2K on a garage floor when I put it in perspective with all the other projects at home, as much as I like it and want it. So that .59 sq. ft. looks very tempting.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I'm just afraid that if you put vinyl tiles down on your garage floor, a few months later or a year later, you'll be sorry you did.

Vinyl has serious drawbacks in the garage... one of them rockridge just pointed out: slippery when wet and garage floors get wet often.

It's also high maintenance of you want to keep it looking good.

It's also a b*tch to put down and even more of a b*tch to take back up again.

IMO, it's worthwhile to save up and buy the rubber/plastic tiles like those at Sam's or Race Deck. They'll last you decades. And let's face it, if you don't spend that money on the floor, you'll just spend it on more mods for you MINI.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 AM
FP
5th Gear
And let's face it, if you don't spend that money on the floor, you'll just spend it on more mods for you MINI.
Can't argue there

Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just afraid that if you put vinyl tiles down on your garage floor, a few months later or a year later, you'll be sorry you did.

Vinyl has serious drawbacks in the garage... one of them rockridge just pointed out: slippery when wet and garage floors get wet often.

It's also high maintenance of you want to keep it looking good.

It's also a b*tch to put down and even more of a b*tch to take back up again.

IMO, it's worthwhile to save up and buy the rubber/plastic tiles like those at Sam's or Race Deck. They'll last you decades. And let's face it, if you don't spend that money on the floor, you'll just spend it on more mods for you MINI.
I wonder if a guy could put the clear epoxy over the vinyl, and add a touch of sand for non-skid.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:32 AM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
I wonder if a guy could put the clear epoxy over the vinyl, and add a touch of sand for non-skid.
Straight from garagejournal.com. You guys that are interested should read this thead over there. There's a lot of good information from guys who have installed VCT even in cold weather climates.

They do have a VCT called Safety Zone that has a texture built in that would be a good product to avoid slipping. Also from Armstrong.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...t=11812&page=6

Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
I just installed the Race Deck flooring. Got is at Costco. It was $79.95 for a box of 42 tiles (12" X 12"). I needed 9 boxes to do a 20' X 20' floor. It's easy to install. I went back later and got the edge trim and corner pieces.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
I just installed the Race Deck flooring. Got is at Costco. It was $79.95 for a box of 42 tiles (12" X 12"). I needed 9 boxes to do a 20' X 20' floor. It's easy to install. I went back later and got the edge trim and corner pieces.
Not bad, this means I can do mine for around $1K.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
pooper, Race Deck makes about 7 different types of tiles. Which are those ? I can't tell in that pic.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:34 PM
spfdhed
3rd Gear
I considered several options: interlocking tiles as above, epoxy etc and since I am "frugal" went with the VCT made by armstrong. This is not the same tile you would use in your kitchen (it is the commercial grade stuff-like on the dealer showroom floor or in a hospital, etc). It is not slick when wet and it has not been problem with "marking" from hot tires, etc (I did use black tiles in the areas where the cars are parked). It is pretty easy to keep clean. I put a coat of silicon sealer on it to give it a sheen (but not slick). I live in SW MO where it goes from 100-0 degrees summer to winter and I have not had any problems with lifting, etc (the only issue was for the first few days after laying the tile. My wife had the habit of turning her wheels with the car sitting still and the tiles "moved" a bit before the glue had cured necessitating replacing a couple of tiles). I like it and you can do any kind of pattern you want. There are a number of color choices. I took a couple of quick pix (poor light and old camera) to give you an idea.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM
mini pooper
6th Gear
I bought the "Costco" brand that was available. This brand only comes in black & white and in 12" squares. However you can set the squares any way you want so you can make clever designs.

After I installed it I still needed the edge trim so I called Race Deck/Snap Lock and they sold me the outer edge trim & corners.

Best things that I can see about this is that it is easy to walk on, easy to clean, easy to install, you can use a floor jack on it, and best of all it can be removed and taken with you if you move. Plus you can replace the squares if you need to or change the design if you get tired of it.

I just wish I had known about the color options offered by Race Deck before I bought these. I am happy with what I bought and paid a reasonable price, I just didn't know the other options beforehand.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Oakland Raiders Mini
5th Gear
I had a dream and my Mini said he doesn't like to stay inside because he's a wild animal.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
I just wish I had known about the color options offered by Race Deck before I bought these.
I wonder if you can get the other colors through Costco? I've been working with Racedeck or one of their distributors, and they are pricing it at $2.99 per foot. You paid just about $1.90 per ft. Yet the VCT option is about .59 per foot.