R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 '07 MCS Automatic....Getting used to it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 PM
bruceink
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 MCS Automatic....Getting used to it?

I got the automatic on my new MCS, and I am starting to get used to it. I had an '03 MCS JCW with the 6-speed for five years, so I am familiar with it. Just wondering how others are feeling about getting the automatic, any likes/dislikes?

For instance, I can't bring myself to drive it without pushing the sport button

I like the way it downshifts around town and provides some engine braking as I approach one the countless stop signs in my area

Still figuring out the best times to use the paddle shifters (haven't been doing a lot of spirited driving because I'm still breaking it in)

Side notes....275 mile drive today, 30 mpg
And....even though I haven't really gassed it yet, I think it might be faster than my old one......

Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It definitely took some getting used to but I'm liking it quite a lot. Although I'm a big fan of the sport button I only use it when an extra spurt of power is needed, as it affects mileage significantly.

The engine braking of the trans is actually one of my favorite features. I'm not sure if it's a MINI thing or just a 6 speed thing (coming from a 4) but I love it. Literally the only time I use my brakes is when I need to come to a complete stop. And that's in 'non-sport mode' without even using the paddles!

Also it impresses me that although the engine is only 1.6L the trans still allows it to turn at 2,000 RPM's while doing ~60mph. It seems to time shifts in direct accordance with how I'm driving. When cruising it shifts rather slow for smoothness, but when I get on it the shifting is almost instantaneous - again in fully automatic mode without the sport button.

The main thing which was a bit disconcerting at first is that you can feel it engaging the torque converter when playing with the throttle at lower speeds. Also, when coming to a stop it downshifts through the gears in a pretty noticeable manner. Adds to the sportiness of the MINI though, so I personally like it. Would still prefer a DSG, but it's a pretty close second.

Last edited by Msteadman; 11-12-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:15 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
I find it shifts smoother when controlled manually-especially downshifting. Wait till break in is done and experiment. It is an very good auto trans.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 AM
ToMiTa
2nd Gear
I like my auto alot. Made by Aisin, a subsidiary of Toyota, it works well with the MINI. I manually shift only once in a while for fun. I pull the lever to the left, hit the sport button and then choose paddles or stick. You can mimic a manual trans well so that bystanders will think you are truly shifting. The only thing I do not like is the fraction of a second delay from input to the actual changing of the gears. The big advantage of autos is that we do not lose boost.

Last edited by ToMiTa; 11-13-2007 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Boost