R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 First oil change...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread has been mind-numbing. After careful consideration, I have decided to wait on deciding.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
If you want it done for free under the 3yr/36k maintenance agreement, I think you have to take it to a MINI dealer.

If you just want an oil change and are willing to pay for it, I personally wouldn't have a problem taking it to a BMW dealer, or any other shop that you trust to work on your car.

Wherever you decide to go, it would be a good idea to call ahead and make sure that they carry the oil filter for your car, or at least can get one on short notice.
OK, thanks. Yeah, I will definitely call first. MINI's are few and far between here and I wouldn't want to get that look like I have three heads when I drive in and ask for an oil change.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spectral Glider
Anybody here get their oil changed at a BMW dealer? My MINI dealer is a 2 hour drive and I was thinking I'd get my oil changed around 5,000 miles but have it done closer at a BMW place here. Was just wondering if that'd be a good idea or not.
They're not going to have the filter, and any dealer's hourly rate is going to be unusually high. I'd order the filter online (buy a few from Chicago or Morristown to keep shipping cost down) and go to a good independent shop. You can print instructions from the thread here on NAM to be safe.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
That's because Mobil doesn't pay BMW to have their name stamped on the engine...
Then how do you explain the Mobil 0W-40 getting BMW's approval (and MB, and Audi and Porsche)?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aus
Then how do you explain the Mobil 0W-40 getting BMW's approval (and MB, and Audi and Porsche)?
They may have BMW's approval, but MINIs have 'Castrol' stamped on the bracket next to the dipstick and on a label right on the engine. They pay for that, just like Coke pays for Simon Cowell to have a Coke cup sitting in front of him on American idol (even if it's filled with Mobil 1 vodka).

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lacning74
This thread has been mind-numbing. After careful consideration, I have decided to wait on deciding.
You should send a sample of your brain in for analysis so you will know the right time to decide.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:00 AM
aus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
They may have BMW's approval, but MINIs have 'Castrol' stamped on the bracket next to the dipstick and on a label right on the engine. They pay for that, just like Coke pays for Simon Cowell to have a Coke cup sitting in front of him on American idol (even if it's filled with Mobil 1 vodka).
That I won't argue with.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
Simon Cowell is filthy rich. He goes through exotic cars like I go through my toilet paper.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Golsco
2nd Gear
I just had my first change at just over 12k. The mechanic laughed at me when I brought it in after break-in to change. He said the rings or pistons (whatever supposedly produce the metal specks) are sealed by ceramic somethings. As you can tell I didn't pay much attention, but just remember him saying it was a whole new engine nothing like the 06 and definitely did not need to change.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Chili Cart
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lacning74
Me too!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
smackboy1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Duffer
I was thinking about getting the oil analyzed after break-in to see if there's evidence of excess metals in the oil, but I'm not sure when to take the sample, 1200, 1500, 2000.

Any thoughts? It may shed some light on this issue. Maybe others have already done this.
FWIW, we've had our MINI about 2 weeks, 1,500 miles. I'm going to change out the oil + filter soon with full synth 5W30. I'll run the 2nd oil fill till the odo reads about 5,000 miles, pull a sample and send it off for UOA. I don't think there's much point sending the factory fill in for UOA after 2,000 miles because as pointed out in another thread, it's going to show assembly lubes, break-in metals and other things which are kind of expected. If you really want to go nuts, you can change out the oil + filter 3 times and send a sample of the 3rd fill for UOA after running it for a few thousand miles. The interesting data will be what is going on inside the engine AFTER all the expected crap is flushed out.

Last edited by smackboy1; 10-27-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Duffer
3rd Gear
I just read this in another thread, has anyone else seen this amount of debris in their 1st oil change?

Oil change at 2900 kms.. guess what?
So I broke down and changed the oil in the Mini Cooper about 900 km after the break-in period.

I got the filters and 27mm socket from Mini Mania, good guys to deal with, not fast, but good guys.

Castrol Synthetic 5w30 4.25 lts

And a T-50 rotax to remove the drain plug.

Everything went smooth, I did not have to move the coolant reserve out of the way. There is lots of room.

I drained the start of the oil into a clean margarine container, so I could see if there were any bits of metal in the oil.

Guess what, there was! Not a large amount, however, it is more than I have every seen in all my years of oil changes.

On the filter, there was lots of little bits stuck to the side of the filter.

Boy am I glad I changed it. It is good to know that some of the old habits, changing oil early to get out the metal, are still relevant.

One cool thing: after the change the oil sensor read 30,000 km until next oil change. It had been at 16,000 or 17,000 kms. So it either knew I changed the oil. Or it read the clean oil.

Either way, time well spent on a Sunday afternoon.

ps: none of the pictures turned out sorry.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
I just read this in another thread, has anyone else seen this amount of debris in their 1st oil change?
I did mine at about 3,500. I didn't do a real careful inspection, but didn't see anything unusual in the oil or filter.

What I was wondering was how the hell you could get the filter out without moving the coolant tank? Even with it moved, I had to squeeze my hands in to get the cap and filter out.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
If there is enough debris in the oil for you to see I'd be taking my car to the dealer & asking what's up. No way, no how should you be seeing pieces of metal in the oil & filter. IMO something is very wrong.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
I spoke to Flow Mini in Winston-Salem, NC this morning. I've got to take the car in for something else and asked about the oil change. They said it was unnecessary and didn't recommend it.

At $80 one has to wonder why they would make this recommendation unless it was indeed completely unnecessary.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
I spoke to Flow Mini in Winston-Salem, NC this morning. I've got to take the car in for something else and asked about the oil change. They said it was unnecessary and didn't recommend it.

At $80 one has to wonder why they would make this recommendation unless it was indeed completely unnecessary.
Because dealers don't always give the best advice. And, now you think they are honest and straightforward, so when your car is out of warranty, you'll be taking it to them for expensive repairs and procedures.

They just made a smart investment, and it only cost them $80.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
Because dealers don't always give the best advice. And, now you think they are honest and straightforward, so when your car is out of warranty, you'll be taking it to them for expensive repairs and procedures.
Good point!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 AM
jw34
6th Gear
I spoke to Flow Mini in Winston-Salem, NC this morning. I've got to take the car in for something else and asked about the oil change. They said it was unnecessary and didn't recommend it..
Interesting. I also took mine in for something else and the service manager asked me if I was going to do a post-break in oil change. I asked him if he thought it was necessary and he said it would probably be a good idea, although it was up to me.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Duffer
3rd Gear
the service manager asked me if I was going to do a post-break in oil change
at the same dealership?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 AM
jw34
6th Gear
No, I'm in Ohio. I was just noting that all dealerships aren't saying the same thing!

Old 11-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Modnar
6th Gear
Which Ohio dealer?

Old 11-01-2007, 01:32 PM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Birdman
You can actually do MORE damage to a motor by chaning the oil TOO OFTEN than you are doing good. Oil out of a can, believe it or not, is NOT optimal for the engine, it takes time to break down and "smooth" out a bit. Then it is good for the engine. By constantly putting in new, "rough" oil, you can actually damage an engine.

For the guys talking about Quaker States 250 mile "oil related warranty", your kidding right?? HOW would you proove a "major failure" is oil related!! Good luck!!

For the guys
"Rough Oil?"
Is that an oxymoron?

Hard to believe. Where did you read that?
Not to be a wise guy, I just find that to be curious reading.

I believe people should do what they find comfortable.
Changing one's oil often certainly can't hurt (until I believe differently), so I opt to use Mobile 1 it and a new filter every 5K miles, and changed it at exactly the first 1000 miles. What does it cost me to be comfortable? $30 and an hour for my piece of mind.
That makes me feel comfortable.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:47 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I look forward to seeing your results!
Well, I just got the analysis results back from Terry Dyson. I don't know how to post a .PDF here, but I'll give you the raw numbers:

The oil had 9,000 miles on it, the car had 21,500 miles total, and the oil was the bulk Castrol 5W-30 synthetic that the MINI dealers use.

Wear Metals (in ppm):
Iron 18
Copper 15
Tin 3
Lead 9
Chromium 2
Nickel 4
Aluminum 4
Titanium 0
Silver 0

Additive metals: (in ppm)
Calcium 1729
Magnesium 18
Zinc 1051
Phosphate 840
Barium 0
Molybdenum 160
Antimony 0

Contaminant metals: (in ppm)
Silicon 5
Sodium 24
Boron 53 (This is actually an additive in the Castrol 5W-30 oil)
Potassium 0
Vanadium 0

Viscosity (40 degrees C) 76.7
Viscosity (100 degrees C) 12.2
Total Acid Number 3.78
Flashpoint 300
Oxidation 19
Nitration 14
Karl-Fischer Water 405
Total Base Number 3.5
Fuel Dilution 1.46%
Soot 0
Glycol .09
vndx 156
Sulfate by-product 24

I can't post Terry's actual analysis, since it's proprietary, but the long and short of it was that it's time to change the oil. The wear metals were slightly elevated over what Terry would like to see, the additive metals were still in good shape, and the contaminants were either normal or slightly elevated. The big problem is the fuel dilution. The air filter (oiled foam filter that comes with the DDM CAI) is keeping the dirt out of the engine, but it may not be allowing enough air in.

The flashpoint was too low, and the ratio of Total Acid to Total Base is too high, probably all a result of the fuel dilution.

So, after 9,000 miles in the car, the Castrol 5W-30 is about spent, largely because of the fuel in the oil. The viscosity actually held up well, and the additive package is still going strong, but between the flashpoint and the Total Acid number, I'm not going to leave it in the crankcase any longer. Not a bad lifetime for the oil, but the onboard computer is telling me I still have 8500 miles to go before I "should" change the oil.

I'm switching to a different brand of oil that Terry recommended, and I'm going to check the air filter and see if I can't get a little more air into it.

I'll pull another sample when I have 5,000 miles on the new oil. It should be around the end of January or so.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 11-11-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Well, I just got the analysis results back...

...it's time to change the oil. ... The big problem is the fuel dilution. The air filter (oiled foam filter that comes with the DDM CAI) is keeping the dirt out of the engine, but it may not be allowing enough air in.

The flashpoint was too low, and the ratio of Total Acid to Total Base is too high, probably all a result of the fuel dilution.
Do you think this could be different than stock, because of your CAI?

I'm switching to a different brand of oil that Terry recommended, and I'm going to check the air filter and see if I can't get a little more air into it.
Can you say what brand? Or, is that proprietary as well?

Thanks for posting the results.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:34 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Do you think this could be different than stock, because of your CAI?

Can you say what brand? Or, is that proprietary as well?

Thanks for posting the results.
Well, I looked at the results of the analysis on the factory-fill oil, when I still had the stock airbox and filter. That oil was in the crankcase for 12,500 miles, and had similar Total Acid, Total Base, and fuel dilution numbers. Not totally spent, but definitely near its end-of-life.

For that first analysis, Terry thought the fuel dilution might have been because of the engine break-in, but it's still there, even though the current oil wasn't put into the car until 12,500 miles. I really wish I could see analyses from other MINIs, just to see what the typical dilution percentages are on other peoples' cars.

As for the oil that Terry recommended, it's Biosyn 5W-30, by RLI (Renewable Lubricants, Incorporated). He actually recommended their 0W-30, but I ordered the 5W-30 by mistake. Terry said that their 5W-30 is fine as well, and if we get good numbers using it, there's no reason why I couldn't stick with it.

Quick Reply: R56 First oil change...