R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 DDM Works R56 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 PM
$HORTBUS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDM Works R56 Intake

This intake is awesome!!!!! This is best sounding and performing intake I have heard and seen on a 2007 Mini Cooper S. I will put up pictures as soon as I can. Thanks to Dave an Ivy (Owners of DDM) they have given me an excellent product, also it is very easy to install both the hood scoop and the intake itself. It is well worth the money for the racing one which I have but, they also have a non-racing version...If you are leasing that is ok b/c it is easily removable when you return the car to the dealership...

http://www.ddmworks.com

Thanks Dave and Ivy

"$HORTBUS" The fastest one on the road

Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Rocapotamus
1st Gear
It looks awesome! I'm also interested in purchasing this over the alta intake.

Though since it's redirecting all the air from the scoop into the intake.. doesn't that restrict the air flowing to other parts of the engine? Would the turbo get way too hot? Just a concern..

Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
bmbleB07
2nd Gear
I live in oregon... it rains about 300 days a year...

They don't mention anything about keeping rain water out of the equation..

Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Thanks for the compliments! Looking forward to seeing pictures of the intake on the short bus

Rocapotamus - We did a lot of testing and tested temperatures around the engine bay with and without the intake installed and the temperature difference is within a few degrees F. There are some small slits on the front of the scoop that direct a little bit of air down toward the turbo to help keep it cool also.

bmbleB07 - That is a lot of rain! We tested the intake for months before releasing it and we get some pretty good rain storms here in the southeast and never had any problems with water. There is a way for water to escape from the bottom of the intake for any that does get back there, but there is so little water that makes its way up the scoop it really is a non issue.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Very interesting indeed, looking forward to the pictures.
I am a bit confused as to the scoop intake, is the car taking outside air from the actual hood scoop, if so; does the package come with an open scoop?

Sorry but new at all this cool stuff....

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
andyde - No problem we are here to answer any questions. The intake does use the hood scoop on the R56 as a source for cold air. During the installation you simply remove the "grill" that is blocking the hood scoop, which allows all of that outside air to come in and be used by the engine.

Also here are some pictures of the kit installed. The intake usually comes in black powdercoat or stainless steel, but I included a picture of a custom one we did in chrome.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Thanks Dave, definitely on my mod list...

Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Big K
2nd Gear
What is the part mounted under the Bonnet made of? Will it withstand the heat problem coming off the turbo and does it protect the scoop from deforming?

Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
Big K - The part that attaches to the bonnet is made from stainless steel or powdercoated steel and is very durable and will protect the hood scoop from deforming. I highly recommend that no one runs the car without something protecting the underside of the bonnet, it gets really hot after doing full throttle runs without anything protecting it.

Last edited by Dave@ddmworks; 10-18-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:35 PM
hulksmash
1st Gear
Hey... i'm new to thisl. i love my car but i want to start slowly adding things. I'm thinking about getting a intake but confused as to which one i should get. DDM race intake, M7 ags, or NM engineering? http://www.nm-eng.com/index.html ... i'm looking for performance gains, sound. But i don't want any issues in regards to heat. ie.. DDM RAS. Basically does anyone have any of these. Pros..Cons..any advice or recommendation. thanks for the help in advance.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
eR1c
5th Gear
yeah, I am in the same boat.

...for me it's a tossup between about 3 different ones.

Alta,
NM,
and the DDM

they are all about the same price (the alta is about $400 w/ the extra tubing from the turbo all the way to the air filter).

Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Originally Posted by hulksmash
But i don't want any issues in regards to heat. ie.. DDM RAS. Basically does anyone have any of these.
Not sure what heat issues you may be speaking of but the DDM RAS doesn't have any heat problems reported by our customers. Heres something that might help. More details at http://www.autoxcooper.com/ddm_turbocooper.html

Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 AM
hulksmash
1st Gear
Sorry i wasn't very clear. What i meant to ask, does the DDM works RAS get really hot because it sits right on top of the engine. 1. does the air get heated as it goes into the intake? 2. How does the RAS hold up to all the heat? Durability?? I read the DDM chart, i just wanted someone with a DDM intake and RAS to give me their personal opinion. Does the product work to specification? Fit and finish? In hindsight would they have gone with another product? Do we really need a RAS or does a NM-engineering setup do the job? Another question. Does anyone have the DDM exhaust? I like the ALta look ( all black ) but DDM claims 15 HP increase?! I like the Borla sport sound. Is it possible for DDM to post a clip of the exhaust on a closer drive by as well as sound from inside the cabin. thanks.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Gilboyto
4th Gear
Good question about the intake being heated as it charges thru the hood scoop. That was one of my main concerns as well.

I would assume it would, unless the intake scoop from DDM is coated on the bottom with the aerogel similar to how M7 does theirs. If so, that would be the ultimate product!

You guys keep making me want to mod my MINI, but I am pushing away from it! hahah, sometimes I hate this disease known as modding....:D

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmbleB07
I live in oregon... it rains about 300 days a year...

They don't mention anything about keeping rain water out of the equation..
Excellent point. I was considering this one at one point (over Alta or M7). I'm kinda glad I had decided on Alta. I'd hate to not be able to drive my car every time it rains.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
I just installed my ALTA and the sound is definitely different! I don't have any sort of exhaust yet, but you can definitely hear the PSSHH now and revving sounds... sportier I should say.

How does the DDM Works sound? I was tossing that up with the ALTA, but ultimately went with the ALTA to tie up the engine bay.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Sorry i wasn't very clear. What i meant to ask, does the DDM works RAS get really hot because it sits right on top of the engine. 1. does the air get heated as it goes into the intake? 2. How does the RAS hold up to all the heat? Durability?? I read the DDM chart, i just wanted someone with a DDM intake and RAS to give me their personal opinion. Does the product work to specification? Fit and finish? In hindsight would they have gone with another product? Do we really need a RAS or does a NM-engineering setup do the job? Another question. Does anyone have the DDM exhaust? I like the ALta look ( all black ) but DDM claims 15 HP increase?! I like the Borla sport sound. Is it possible for DDM to post a clip of the exhaust on a closer drive by as well as sound from inside the cabin. thanks.
I've had the RIS for 6 months, love it. Everything is holding up perfectly. As soon as I get some more cash set aside, I'll probably get the DDM exhaust as well. Dave does a tremendous job.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
hulksmash
1st Gear
thanks wbarnhill. any chance you can put up a video?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Tsar
4th Gear
This might have been covered previously, but how do things such as CAI's affect the warranty? i would be interested in purchasing the intake but I need to know if my warranty would be affected or will I have to remove the intake every time I go to the dealer?

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:53 AM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it just voids the warranty on that part, but with a CAI, I would just put the stock intake back on when I went to the dealership for service.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:12 AM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
check with the dealer, some are cool with CAI's and such mods, other are not.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
wbarnhill
Originally Posted by AutoXCooper.com
check with the dealer, some are cool with CAI's and such mods, other are not.
Agreed. Check with your service guy. In my case, the agreement was "If it's not caused by the mod, we don't care. If the mod caused the problem, you're paying."

Old 02-01-2009, 12:40 PM
wbarnhill
thanks wbarnhill. any chance you can put up a video?
What are you looking for, the sound of the RIS, look of the system after 6 months? Let me know and I'll try to get a video this week.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM
rmt27
1st Gear
mileage

How does the intake affect gas mileage? Are there any significant increases up or down?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Lil Blue Coop/Mini Rose
5th Gear
I have the RIS on my Clubman. No real increase in gas mileage on in town trips but I did have a 1.8 mpg increase on highway trips.

Quick Reply: R56 DDM Works R56 Intake