R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 HELP Stripped XENON adjustment screw

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Stripped XENON adjustment screw

Help I stripped the drivers side xenon adjustment screw on my R56 They should of made it metal not chepo plastic!!!!

How do I fix this? Can I get a replacemnt screw or need a whole ne headlight assembly?

Can I put some type of goop in the hole and fill it so I can put a screwdriver in it?

Old 10-01-2007, 08:40 AM
andyde
5th Gear
You should be able to get the piece (screw) replaced through the dealer.....
Since I canot visualize the affected area; I am not sure if you have a piece of screw left in there or what....

Last edited by andyde; 10-01-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
What if the screw is one unit with the xenon assembly?:impatient

Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you strip the "Screw" or what its threaded into.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Checked the part number.. That screw is part of "assembly xenon light" and will cost you approximately $487

j/k

Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Shoot, Its a pain adjusting the lights to get em perfect ya know. I dont want to blind oncoming traffic but I want to see atleast partway down the road without putting highbeams on, but I guess thats what they are for. I'm too OCD LOL.

Does anyone know a good product that I can fill a screw hole with and make it plyable again?

I basically stripped the "female" part for a phillips screw driver to go into. SO now its just a tiny plastic screw witha hole in it and no place for any screwdriver to grab onto, so I am looking for something to put in the hole so I can mold it to get a scredriver to be able to turn it.

Its hard to get a pair of pliers in there and try to turn it that way.

Any solution would help. (yeah stop adjusting them would be the first)

Last edited by kevinminict; 10-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:38 PM
jlevy
3rd Gear
try an allen wrench

Mine have the phillips and flats an allen wrench will fit. Perhaps this will work.

-JL

Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the screw head is stripped and not the threads in the headlight, is there a way to super glue an allen wrench to it or some other tool like that? Not sure how tight the screw is so this may not work. Maybe some two part epoxy or something?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
i thought these lights auto leveled?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
The lights do auto level but you adjust them so they dont pint right infront of you and not blind other drivers.

No the threads are not stripped! I dont believe there are any threads. It's the part where you put the scredriver into. The screw is basically chepo plastic so its now just a hole and if you put a scredriver into it it just spins in the hole there is nothing left of it just the hole.

SO I need to find something to fill the hole so I can have some leveredge to turn it.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM
khor01
1st Gear
How about trying to put two small slits on either end of the top of the plastic screw, so that it can be turned with a flat-head screwdriver?

Old 10-07-2007, 08:47 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
The screw fits both a phillips head screwdriver and an allen key. Have you tried using an allen key? Can you post a picture of exactly what the screw looks like. It's not like you go around adjusting your headlights all the time. You should be able to do something to get them adjusted properly and then just leave them alone.

If not, remove the headlight assembly. Figure out how the nylon screw is attached, and get it replaced without having to purchase a whole new headlight assembly.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with khor01. Just use a dremel to make a slot, then use a flat head screwdriver. Easy solution. I've done it more than I care to remember.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:59 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chpsk8
I'm with khor01. Just use a dremel to make a slot, then use a flat head screwdriver. Easy solution. I've done it more than I care to remember.
Wouldn't you want to see if the appropriate allen key fit before grinding away at the screw?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Taz325
Neutral
Kevin - Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope their is an easy/cost effective fix for this. Would you be able to post a picture of where this adjustment screw is located on the R56? I would like to adjust my lights as they are blinding traffic. I am so tired of getting flashed as I pass by.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Taz325
Kevin - Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope their is an easy/cost effective fix for this. Would you be able to post a picture of where this adjustment screw is located on the R56? I would like to adjust my lights as they are blinding traffic. I am so tired of getting flashed as I pass by.
It's easy to find. Look at the back of the headlight assembly, and you'll see a white nylon screw (there's only one white screw, so it's hard to miss), I can't remember which direction is up and which is down, but a quick turn of the screw will let you know. A small amount of turning makes a big difference. I carry a long blade phillips screwdriver to use till I find the perfect balance between being able to see far enough ahead with the low beams, but not getting flashed by oncoming traffic. Of course unless all roads were perfectly flat, there's going to be situations where you'll get flased now and then, but it doesn't happen too frequently since the lights sit so low.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I thought all Xenons were autoleveling. If you adjust it to point down the cutoff line might be too close and you might not see far enough. For $550, autoleveling should be included. IIRC, BMW autoleveling Xenons were an $700 option.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
They are auto levelling, but stll need to be adjusted properly. When you turn your lights on you'll see them move up and down for a second as the auto levelling works.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
It's easy to find. Look at the back of the headlight assembly, and you'll see a white nylon screw (there's only one white screw, so it's hard to miss), I can't remember which direction is up and which is down, but a quick turn of the screw will let you know. A small amount of turning makes a big difference. I carry a long blade phillips screwdriver to use till I find the perfect balance between being able to see far enough ahead with the low beams, but not getting flashed by oncoming traffic. Of course unless all roads were perfectly flat, there's going to be situations where you'll get flased now and then, but it doesn't happen too frequently since the lights sit so low.

THATS THE SCREW I STRIPPED theres no place for the phillips or flat head scredriver to go into now just a hole, but i got them adjusted perfectly now so but does anyone know if that screw is replaceable or not if not ill give a friendly call to my dealer.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 AM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kevinminict
THATS THE SCREW I STRIPPED theres no place for the phillips or flat head scredriver to go into now just a hole, but i got them adjusted perfectly now so but does anyone know if that screw is replaceable or not if not ill give a friendly call to my dealer.
Kevin, are you SURE you stripped the screw completely. Because it fits both a philips head and an allen key, it may appear like it is stripped but the hexagonal hole for an allen wrench may have enough left to fit the proper allen wrench. The phillips head I can see getting stripped very easily, but what may look like a round hole may actually be hexagonal beneath the damaqge done by the screwdriver. If you have a set of allen wrenches and haven't tried them yet, you should do so. You might just be surprised.

I would assume that the screw is held in place by a circlip or something so that it can be rotated for adjustment, but prevented from falling out accidentally. You'll likely have to remove the headlight assembly to get to the circlip (if that's what it is), but once you do that, you should be able to get a replacement screw without having to buy a whole new headlight.

There's a website that has diagrams of OEM parts, but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe someone else knows the site address. Any dealer should be able to locate it in their system and get a view of how the screw is attached, and maybe a part number.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
Kevin, are you SURE you stripped the screw completely. Because it fits both a philips head and an allen key, it may appear like it is stripped but the hexagonal hole for an allen wrench may have enough left to fit the proper allen wrench. The phillips head I can see getting stripped very easily, but what may look like a round hole may actually be hexagonal beneath the damaqge done by the screwdriver. If you have a set of allen wrenches and haven't tried them yet, you should do so. You might just be surprised.

I would assume that the screw is held in place by a circlip or something so that it can be rotated for adjustment, but prevented from falling out accidentally. You'll likely have to remove the headlight assembly to get to the circlip (if that's what it is), but once you do that, you should be able to get a replacement screw without having to buy a whole new headlight.

There's a website that has diagrams of OEM parts, but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe someone else knows the site address. Any dealer should be able to locate it in their system and get a view of how the screw is attached, and maybe a part number.
www.realoem.com

Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
LOL Yeah I stripped the hex part too I'm an idiot. I got a large flathead screwdriver in there to adjust which worked fine. BUT it would be nice to see if I can replace them I went to that website and its hard to tell I'll have to go down to the dealer and see.

Heres a pic of my stripped screw, yah i butchered the H&!! out of it.

Last edited by kevinminict; 10-10-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
One of these days, I'm going to pull out the assembly to see if I can get in to paint the headlight enclosures. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Ohh sweet cool thanks and in the meantime if I get to the dealer before hand ill let you know

Old 10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My screw looks like metal, with the white plastic piece extending above it and surrounding it. The plastic piece has hexagonal inside edges (allen wrench style), the screw below is silver phillips style. Do they both adjust the lights, or just the metal screw below?

Quick Reply: R56 HELP Stripped XENON adjustment screw