R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Help, Auto or Stick???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:41 PM
wwwest
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Auto or Stick???

I have already ordered an 07MCSa but am concerned I should go back to stick. I live in an area that has real winters, and it is not unusual to get 3 to 6 inches of snow at a time, sometimes more. We have a fairly steep 2 block long hill on the way to our house. I have never had an automatic and only got a 20 minute test drive in one. I wouldn't have ordered it except it has the full manual mode. The other reason I went with automatic is my wife doesn't drive a stick, and I am not sure she is willing to learn. I would also have a problem teaching her, cause it sure isn’t going to happen in our new Mini-not even sure you can rent a stick easily. We have an all wheel drive automatic Subaru which we will keep for much of the driving when the weather is really bad.

Up to this point I have had several fun cars, WRX, STi etc, all stick, so my wife has never really gotten into this whole fun to drive thing. Currently she is OK as long as the car gets her from point a to point b. I'd love her to become half the enthusiast I am which is the main reason I ordered the auto Mini.

When I ordered the auto, I missed the detail that you cannot get LSD with an automatic transmission. So I am back to wondering if the auto will pull that hill when the snow and ice comes. I am ordering it with all season tires and plan to get winter tires as well. My salesman says he has had two Minis both without LSD and he takes them skiing all the time and doesn’t have a problem. I am really concerned especially when I noticed the inability of getting the LSD with the automatic.

To make things worse if I hold out for a stick I miss my November delivery and may have to wait for an 08 and probable price increases. What have been your experiences in slick conditions with an auto Mini or a stick Mini without LSD? Thanks for your input.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:46 PM
emtrey
5th Gear
I had a CVT MINI for 3 midwest winters...no problems at all. Its all about the tires. Good all seasons or dedicated snows should make winters livable even w/o LSD. Auto vs stick--do a search--you will find many diverse opinions.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The manual transmission in the MINI is particularly good and a large part of the fun-to-drive aspect for me. How will you feel if getting the automatic does not succeed in turning your wife into a driving enthusiast? Will not getting it always have you wondering whether she would have converted, if you had? A gamble either way.

Regarding LSD, all MINIs come with ASC which uses the brakes to prevent wheel spin. The advantage of LSD is that it is more efficient at getting power to the ground, but ASC should take care of your winter worries.

Whatever you get, be sure to get DSC.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have the coin, get DSC & LSD. And as Robin stated, you get ASC as part of the deal. Now order it ASAP... (I wanted to throw in more acronyms, but I am too tired)

Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wwwest
The other reason I went with automatic is my wife doesn't drive a stick, and I am not sure she is willing to learn.

Then get the stick

Old 09-16-2007, 05:23 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
ASC should take care of your winter worries.
I had an AWD car with somethig similar to ASC. I used to turn it off to get up a snowy hill. Not sure the difference between ASC and DSC though. LSD is a definite on slick roads though.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:42 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
wrx and sti are both fun autoX cars.

Last edited by r56mini; 06-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
nrc
2nd Gear
To make things worse if I hold out for a stick I miss my November delivery and may have to wait for an 08 and probable price increases. What have been your experiences in slick conditions with an auto Mini or a stick Mini without LSD? Thanks for your input.
Aren't the year and price locked in at the time of the order? I thought dealers knew their allocation for the year.

If you enjoy driving a stick I think you'll regret ordering an auto.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
We have an 05 auto R53 and it's a trooper in the snow! But my R56 with a stick is great fun

Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 PM
tbonecopper
2nd Gear
well i have an auto, but then again, the only stick i know how to drive isn't in a car hahaha

Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tbonecopper
well i have an auto, but then again, the only stick i know how to drive isn't in a car hahaha

Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
mufflethis
4th Gear
Get the stick. You know you won't regret getting stick and you think you might regret getting auto. No brainier go with the sure thing. If your wife wants to learn to drive stick it's possible to rent a stick but big name places like avis or herts don't have them, you'll have to go with a local place or an exotic car rental place. Might have to spend $150 for a corvette for a day but that's kind of worth it.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 AM
aem421
4th Gear
The other reason I went with automatic is my wife doesn't drive a stick, and I am not sure she is willing to learn.
My wife made me get the stick over the automatic. She can actually drive stick better than most guys I know.

I drive 95% of the time on the highway so it was a no brainer.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
valthun
4th Gear
I say get the stick. With DSC there is hill assist, so learning on the MINI wouldn't be too difficult. The stick does have a tight throw, and my girlfriend had some problems on her only drive finding first, but she did fine after that. Of coarse she knows how to drive stick so I wasn't too worrid.

FWIW Paddle shifting is no full manual you don't get a clutch. ;P

Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Regarding LSD, all MINIs come with ASC which uses the brakes to prevent wheel spin. The advantage of LSD is that it is more efficient at getting power to the ground, but ASC should take care of your winter worries.

Whatever you get, be sure to get DSC.
They all come with Auto Stability Control (ASC) but Dynamic Stab. Cont. (DSC) is a $500 option. It's confusing, but I think only DSC can inplement braking to help correct the car's direction in a skid whereas with ASC it only uses the engine's power to the 2 wheels. Also DSC won't let the car go backwards (for like 5 seconds) on a hill if you have the stick.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:30 AM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Get the stick.
It is a large percentage of the smile factor.
This is a sports car, right?

Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AUTO, AUTO, I love my AUTO

Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by valthun
...my girlfriend had some problems on her only drive finding first, but she did fine after that.
I've been driving a stick for 40 years and I had trouble finding first the first time. It's much to easy to put it in reverse instead of first gear.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:25 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
stick, dsc, lsd
if she won't learn, more fun for you

Old 09-17-2007, 01:51 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
You might want to hear what folks who jumped from stick to automatic think:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=110701

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs
Get the stick.
It is a large percentage of the smile factor.
This is a sports car, right?
C'mon... this is not a sports car. Its a blast to drive, but I couldn't classify this as a sports car. I do, however, agree with you completely.

Also, I can't say much for "full manual mode." I've driven a few cars with real paddle shift manuals, and its way different than the MINI, and 99% of the cars that advertise this. There is a always a delay in the shift, and you can tell that the computer is deciding whether to allow the shift change. They still use torque converters. Make sure you drive one before going this route, you may be set up for disappointment.

I think you may be excited to get the car no matter the transmission, but will it be the same in 6 months? Coming from the Subarus (me too!), you may get bored really quick with an automatic. You have more drivetrain loss and fewer gears meaning it will be slower and be much less tactile. Consider why you are purchasing the car in the first place, and follow that goal with all of your ordering decisions!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FortyTwo
C'mon... this is not a sports car. Its a blast to drive, but I couldn't classify this as a sports car. I do, however, agree with you completely.

Also, I can't say much for "full manual mode." I've driven a few cars with real paddle shift manuals, and its way different than the MINI, and 99% of the cars that advertise this. There is a always a delay in the shift, and you can tell that the computer is deciding whether to allow the shift change. They still use torque converters. Make sure you drive one before going this route, you may be set up for disappointment.

I think you may be excited to get the car no matter the transmission, but will it be the same in 6 months? Coming from the Subarus (me too!), you may get bored really quick with an automatic. You have more drivetrain loss and fewer gears meaning it will be slower and be much less tactile. Consider why you are purchasing the car in the first place, and follow that goal with all of your ordering decisions!
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A sports car is an automobile designed for performance driving. Most sports cars are rear-wheel drive, have two seats, two doors, and are designed for precise handling, acceleration, and aesthetics. A sports car's dominant considerations can be superior road handling, braking, maneuverability, low weight, and high power, rather than passenger space, comfort, and fuel economy.
Sports cars can be either luxurious[1] or spartan, but driving mechanical performance is the key attraction. Drivers regard brand name and the subsequent racing reputation and history (for example, Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus) as important indications of sporting quality, but brands such as Lamborghini, which do not race or build racing cars, are also highly regarded.
A car may be a sporting automobile without being a sports car. Performance modifications of regular, production cars, such as sport compacts, sports sedans, muscle cars, hot hatches and the like, generally are not sports cars, yet share traits common to sports cars. Often, performance cars of all configurations are grouped as Sports and GT cars, or, occasionally, as performance cars...
Mini would be a hot hatch...

Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
FortyTwo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by r56mini
Mini would be a hot hatch...
Agreed!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 AM
aem421
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
I've been driving a stick for 40 years and I had trouble finding first the first time. It's much to easy to put it in reverse instead of first gear.
Mini must have changed something during the year. First gear is really easy to find on mine. All you do is move the shifter all the way to the left and up. It goes in real easy. To get reverse, you have to put it hard all the way to the left and up. There is sort of a 'hurdle' to get by in order to get in reverse. There is no way you can do it by accident because you really have to push it over.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 AM
brudgers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aem421
Mini must have changed something during the year. First gear is really easy to find on mine. All you do is move the shifter all the way to the left and up. It goes in real easy. To get reverse, you have to put it hard all the way to the left and up. There is sort of a 'hurdle' to get by in order to get in reverse. There is no way you can do it by accident because you really have to push it over.
It took me a while to get used to the shift pattern.

Putting it in 6th when backing into a parallel parking space was not very successful.

There's a spring resistance which helps find reverse and a lesser one separating 3rd and 4th from 5th and 6th.

I still have to hunt a little to shift from reverse to first quickly.

Quick Reply: R56 Help, Auto or Stick???