R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 How to stop a cat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Good God. Horrible. Watching someone decapitate a cat for their own
amusement and putting it on YouTube to "entertain" others is not LMAO
funny in my book.
I don't think that's an actual beheading, cristo. It's a car manufacturer's ad and I don't think it would go over to well in the court of public opinion if it were real.

Computers can do pretty amazing and funny things, you know.

Feel better ?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo
Good God. Horrible. Watching someone decapitate a cat for their own
amusement and putting it on YouTube to "entertain" others is not LMAO
funny in my book.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, so I decided to answer this seriously.

This is a car advertisement. No cats were injured. They have a similar one with a pigeon.

You are, of course, free to interpret whether it is beyond the bounds of good taste.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:59 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MotorMouth
I am a cat lover, but....

Sometimes it seems that that might be the only way to stop a cat from doing what it wants.

Last edited by 70spop; 09-17-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
I have a similar issue with keeping cats out of my yard. My dog goes crazy and barks while the cats just stare at her, and then I get a call from animal control = fines etc.....
what I did was purchase a motion sensitive sound frequency generator. it has multiple sound levels, one that is specific to cats and inaudible to most human adults. so when the motion sensor is tripped it emits an intense noise (that only the cat can hear) and scares the cat away. It does work, and it's not that exspensive. It's definately cheaper than a car cover. My box was $50 and is weatherproof.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
wolf617
4th Gear
Isn't that what a Cat-Back exhaust is for?

Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 PM
mommashine
4th Gear
that vid makes me a sad panda... :(

thank god that's not real...

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 AM
medilloni
2nd Gear
After asking the cat owner politely to keep them away from your home, if the problem persists try the following.

1.Borrow a big heavy dog with bowell problems (I advise feeding the dog fish and baked beans followed by ice-cream one hour beforehand).

2.Take it round to the cat owners house.

3. Wait until the dog unloads over their garden (preferably where their kids play).

4. Lead the dog to their car.

5. Put fave dog treat on bonnet (hood?) and encourage dog to scramble on up there.

6. Encourage dog to stand, lie down. squirm around etc. until paint is visibly damaged.

7. Ask cat owner how they like the same problem.

8. Be prepared for "..but cats are different" and other pathetic excuses why they should be allowed damage your property.

9.Repeat until symptoms disappear.

It works

Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 AM
mrweasel
3rd Gear
don't blame the cat, blame the owners for letting the cat outside in the first place.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
I have suffered from kitty paw prints and scratches on my mini too. I could never hurt any animal - but I did not want my paint messed up. So, I called the humane society and they let me borrow a live trap. I put a can of tuna in it and caught that cat the first night. Took it to the humane society and returned their trap. No cat problems now.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 AM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mrs.mini
I have suffered from kitty paw prints and scratches on my mini too. I could never hurt any animal - but I did not want my paint messed up. So, I called the humane society and they let me borrow a live trap. I put a can of tuna in it and caught that cat the first night. Took it to the humane society and returned their trap. No cat problems now.
Of course, when the owners didn't come to claim their poor cat after a week... it was EUTHANIZED (humainly, of course)! Might as well have baited it into the sunroof hatch yourself!!!

Heck, a good shot with the old X-26 might be effective.

(kidding, of course)

Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM
SomethingNew71
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mommashine
that vid makes me a sad panda... :(

thank god that's not real...
ohhh southpark hahahaha that makes me a sad panda

Old 09-19-2007, 08:57 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Eat the cat... they roast up nicely with some fava beans and a bottle of chianti...

Originally Posted by OrneryDSMini
Okay, had Ornery for almost 2 months now... still loving it!! She's broke in now and the WOW factor is still there. However I'm addicted to the sport button. Is there a support group for that yet? and I seem to have developed OCD when it comes to keeping her clean... I know there's a support group for that one. LOL
Anyway, I wake up this morning and go outside for my morning smoke ( I know I'm going to hear about that one ) and there are little kitty paw prints all over my car!!!
Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the neighbor's cat off my car? Other than my Airsoft BB guns (plastic BB guns)?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Alternatively, use the Have-a-heart trap that was mentioned previously. You would be amazed at how few pet owners will let their pets out once they have spent a few hundred $$ in recovery fees.

As to cats being "different"... that's total BS. Any neighbor who believes that better not be upset when their pride and joy runs across the street and gets flatten by the local teens in their SUV!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Meani
1st Gear
I have used the electronic motion detector called "cat stop" made in Canada.
No more cat prints, works much better than my original(and probably not so gentle)first cat proofing of my MINI.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by medilloni
After asking the cat owner politely to keep them away from your home, if the problem persists try the following.

1.Borrow a big heavy dog with bowell problems (I advise feeding the dog fish and baked beans followed by ice-cream one hour beforehand).

2.Take it round to the cat owners house.

3. Wait until the dog unloads over their garden (preferably where their kids play).

4. Lead the dog to their car.

5. Put fave dog treat on bonnet (hood?) and encourage dog to scramble on up there.

6. Encourage dog to stand, lie down. squirm around etc. until paint is visibly damaged.

7. Ask cat owner how they like the same problem.

8. Be prepared for "..but cats are different" and other pathetic excuses why they should be allowed damage your property.

9.Repeat until symptoms disappear.

It works

Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
I've seen cars after the cats' owners allowed their pets to sleep on the hood of their cars... completely removed the paint and the primer from the finish. Must be something in cat hair... oils or whatnot.
We've had cats all my life, and they used to sleep on the hood of the cars when they parked in the driveway. We've never had that kind of paint damage from the cats sleeping there. The most we ever had was some scratches-and honestly very few of those. I gotta wonder about how the owners of those cars cared for their car, or the quality of the paint used.

BTW, we have four cats, and they all stay indoors or wear harnesses and leashes when outside. I fully agree that a cat owner (and dog owners for that matter) needs to keep their pet on their own property or properly/humanely restrained.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
TopGunner
2nd Gear
Removed the paint?

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
plkdb, I read nothing in your post that should draw the ire of the SPCA or any other cat lovers.

I've seen cars after the cats' owners allowed their pets to sleep on the hood of their cars... completely removed the paint and the primer from the finish. Must be something in cat hair... oils or whatnot.

We have one neighbor who lets their cat run the neighborhood. The feline has been caught sleeping on my glider rocker on the back patio. She leaves me gifts of dead mice on my sidewalk.

I talked to my neighbors. I told them I don't like their cat's behavior. But I can live with it. However, I went on, the first time I see the cat even looking at one of my cars funny, that's the day they and I are going to have a very long talk. They could see by the look in my eye that I wasn't joking.

The cat is now a house cat.

Ps. What do you expect when you name a cat "Ornery" ? It's her destiny to cause you headaches. (okay, not so funny)
Does BMW/MINI use a different type of paint (i.e. less durable), than GM cars? I have owned cars and cats for 30 years - I've never once experienced any paint damage from them lying on the hood. I could see scratched paint, if they're jumping up, but I can't see paint completely removed including primer as stated in the post above.

If so, I may be having 2nd thoughts about my 1st MINI that I ordered...

Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I live in rural Florida I got all sorts of critters that leave their paw prints on my car, including squirrels, lizards, frogs ,cats and the ocasional unknown. But since I did my homework and did the KLASSE twins wax treatment on my car everything either washes off or lightly buffs off.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep dog in car.

Of course, if it's too hot out, tie dog to car.

As for scratches on paint, newer finishes tend to be a little more delicate than some older ones due to formulation changes required by environmental regs. Ironically, the more you tend to keep your car detailed, the greater the chance for cat scratch damage. The more waxing and polishing you do to bring out that shine, the more slippery the finish, and the more likely the cat will instinctively deploy claws to maintain footing. Those who tend to be OCD in their detailing also notice the flaws more often as well. :impatient

Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
gvoelker
2nd Gear
Cat's hate the smell of mint. Maybe you can find a mint smelling car wash soap.

Seriously though, look into something minty smelling or some bubble wrap. They hate that stuff.

I always torture my cat with toothpaste.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
They hate citrus smells even worse than mint.

But they love some mints.
Catnip is a mint.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:09 PM
miniviper
2nd Gear
miniviper

I had a neighbor's cat get in my garage. It slept on top of my viper and left hair all over the cloth top. Also crawled in my mini and two of my other cars that were parked in the garage. The cat was a stray that our neighbor took in. When it started messing with my cars it was war! We got a live trap, wire cage, and over a couple of days we caught it. Then we drove it about 20 miles away and set it loose near a farm. A lot more humane solution than some. P.S. Keep the trap out of sight of the cat owners. Make sure you release it far enough away and preferably across a river, (the little buggers have been known to find their way back)!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM
OrionLTD
3rd Gear
To keep my cats away from corners in the house where they like to do their "business", I sprinkle a bit of black pepper. They do not like the smell and avoid the areas.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:01 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the car cover. Before I had a garage here in Germany, I bought a cover and it worked very well. Once you get used to putting it on and taking it off, it becomes very easy to do.

FYI, becareful with that Italian kitty, he may have "family".

Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pet stores often sell animal repellant, to keep them off of furniture. Home supply stores also sell stuff to keep deer and dogs off your lawn. Sprinkling some of that around the car like a magic spell might do the trick, and eventually the cat will adjust his patrol pattern to not bother with the car.

Shooing them away just makes them look to see if you're around before they do what they want to do.

Squirting water can work, as long as the cat doesn't see you do it -- they've got to believe it just came out of nowhere.

(currently have three cats, all indoor)

Quick Reply: R56 How to stop a cat?