R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Im considering buying a R56 S have couple questions:

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 PM
GenTarkin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im considering buying a R56 S have couple questions:

The free maintenance that comes with the car for 3 years, do they use synthetics for this or is it all conventional oil?

Also pertaining to the automatic AC...Does not having this option take away any sort of air filtration? Cuz the option for Automatic AC shows it has active carbon air filtration...does this mean the normal AC does not?

Also, I am coming from a Scion xB where the 4 speakers that come in it actually sound pretty nice for my average listening needs. I had an S10 before that and the speakers were CRAP... they easily distorted in the mids at not even loud volume...my Scion is a significant improvement from that and doesnt distort nearly at all. So Im wondering will the stock 6 speakers of the MINI be better than the scion...if anyone would know this or would assume this?

I live in AZ so Im thinkin since I am an average driver that doesnt really drive crazy or anything...except stepping on the gas here and there, but no crazy cornering....Im thinking the LSD for sure but not having the sport suspension or the DSC to keep costs down. - input on that if anyone wants, Ive read other threads concerning this and kinda got my conclusion from that....but further input would be nice if you want hehe....

Im sure I will come up with more questions...but thats it for now.
Thanks and much appreciated =)

Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
old81
M6
Welcome to NAM, lots of folks to answer your questions and give an opinion.

No on the Sport Suspension, you can always tighten up later. I would get the DSC (save your butt comes to mind).

You did not say MC or MCS, but if you like to poke the gas, then an MCS with the LSD.

No sure on the auto-air versus normal air controls, I have the auto-air and really like it, I do have to keep it down around 62 for my comfort in the Colorado high 90s.

Both are nice MINIs, depends on options. Look at the packages, if music is a high point in your life, you might want the 10 spkr. system (hifi). I have the regular and it is fine for me, I drive an ipod thru the aux input, which works for my type of listening.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GenTarkin
The free maintenance that comes with the car for 3 years, do they use synthetics for this or is it all conventional oil?
MINIs require fully synthetic oil. The dealer uses a Castrol synthetic that has been rebranded as MINI oil. Rumor is that it is a European spec. oil that is slightly heavier than the 5-30 Castrol you would buy in an auto supply store in the USA.

Also, I am coming from a Scion xB where the 4 speakers that come in it actually sound pretty nice for my average listening needs. I had an S10 before that and the speakers were CRAP... they easily distorted in the mids at not even loud volume...my Scion is a significant improvement from that and doesnt distort nearly at all. So Im wondering will the stock 6 speakers of the MINI be better than the scion...if anyone would know this or would assume this?
Lots of opinions on this. Search the forum for HIFI. Also see the Navigation & Audio forum. Most seem to say the standard radio is good for talk radio, the HIFI is OK for some kinds of music at moderate levels. Many are upgrading speakers. If you start with stock, you need to add an amp. If you start with the HIFI upgrade, you many not need to. Depends on your tastes. I'm just going with a speaker upgrade to the HIFI.

I live in AZ so Im thinkin since I am an average driver that doesnt really drive crazy or anything...except stepping on the gas here and there, but no crazy cornering....Im thinking the LSD for sure but not having the sport suspension or the DSC to keep costs down. - input on that if anyone wants, Ive read other threads concerning this and kinda got my conclusion from that....but further input would be nice if you want hehe....
DSC is a safety feature to save your butt when the car starts to slide. You might find it useful if you were trying to avoid an accident. It would help you keep the car going it the direction you want it to. I think this is a must have option for everyone who drives on the street. Track only cars may not want it.

You don't need the sport suspension. The car is quite fun with stock suspension. You may not do any "crazy cornering" now, but when you've driven a MINI for awhile...

Im sure I will come up with more questions...but thats it for now.
Thanks and much appreciated =)

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
amazonracer
4th Gear
Robin is right on. My opinion on the radio is that I wanted the HiFi but I was too late in adding it as my production in July was pushed forward. I think the sound is ok for many songs. It seems to be at its best with more classic rock. Some of the newer music that is somewhat "muddy" dosn't sound that good. Talk radio is fine. I would get the HiFi upgrade though if I had a second chance. I don't feel comfortable in retrofitting the car with other speakers, adding amps, etc. but may change my opinion at some point. I am going to add satallite radio through the dealer when available. Good luck on your final decesion.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GenTarkin
I used to have a Sonoma, so I know exactly what you mean about the crappy stock speakers. I was also very interested in the xB for years, so I know how much better the stereo system is in those than the S10/Sonoma.

That being said, I think the stock 6 speaker system in the MINI is comparable to the stock system in the xB. If you upgrade to the HiFi (like I did), you will be very pleasantly surprised. IMO, it's well worth the $500 it costs to upgrade, as I found the stock system a little lacking, and really didn't want to upgrade to aftermarket stuff. I am very happy with the HiFi. Plenty of bass (even at low volume, which is something I'm not used to at all!), decent mid-range and treble, and enough volume to play it loud, but not disturb the neighbors.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
MINIs require fully synthetic oil. The dealer uses a Castrol synthetic that has been rebranded as MINI oil. Rumor is that it is a European spec. oil that is slightly heavier than the 5-30 Castrol you would buy in an auto supply store in the USA.

The BMW oil is very good and reasonably priced at the Dealer.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 2005 xB too; the Scion base stereo is lots better than the Mini stereo.
But the Mini HiFi is better than the Scion radio... ...is it $500 better? Not really. But I got the audio package anyhow. It's just easier and the Serius radio for life is neat.

The Mini gets a group III "synthetic" at the factory and at the scheduled oil changes.

I have a 2006 supercharged S with an AT and a 2007 turbocharged S with an AT. I also had a 2007 MT S for 3000 miles....
My xB with an MT got better fuel economy than all three Minis. The MT Mini came close and had oooooodles more power. A normally-aspirated Cooper with an MT should whoop the xB for fuel economy.

If you're strapped for cash and are looking to economize, get the base radio and upgrade the speakers and amps (if you can do it yourself). If you can't do it yourself, get the HiFi and get on with life.

I have DSC on one car and not on the other. It might save your bacon some day, but I don't notice the difference really. Both cars are pretty quick in the mountains. You don't have mountains; I don't think you'll miss it.
Nor do I think you'd miss the LSD either --- unless you get the S and you want to do some stoplight to stoplight nonsense. LSD's are mostly for the track, auto-x, or snow.

And, despite what you think now, you'll be looking for twisty roads and sharp turns. The Mini will make the old xB really feel like the brick that it is...