R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Bluetooth in the R56

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:48 PM
T-Horn67
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone having problems with their phone not "re-pairing"? I've got a Treo 750 that I can get to pair (although no phone book) but it won't reconnect after I shut the car off.....very frustrating.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by maxshrike0
My ol' Moto E815 pairs up nicely... I was pleasantly surprised that I can access the full phone book on the phone from voice commands... I did move the microphone to the driver's side. In general, I find the voice recognition... odd. It sure does butcher common words, names when it repeats them back. Ah, that mini personality!

I'm surprised at how quickly the mini pairs up with the phone, as soon as I start Max, the phone is hooked up and ready to go.

Since my clunky ol' e815 works great, I'm a little reluctant to change it for a new model!

Hey, anyone try buying an armrest insert for their phone? I presume only approved phones have inserts? Does this work well? I'm wondering if the call quality goes up with the insert, since it hooks the phone to the mini external antenna!?!
I do believe there is an insert for your e815. If you can afford the insert, I would recommend it, not only will it charge your phone, but it will use the external antenna instead of the phones antenna. IMO, that can only help.

I'm actually thinking of swapping out my phone for an older model with an insert available just to take advantage of the charging and external antenna features.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 AM
maxshrike0
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
I do believe there is an insert for your e815. If you can afford the insert, I would recommend it, not only will it charge your phone, but it will use the external antenna instead of the phones antenna. IMO, that can only help.

I'm actually thinking of swapping out my phone for an older model with an insert available just to take advantage of the charging and external antenna features.
I know what you mean... I'm thinking of keeping my E815, or going for something fairly vanilla like the Razr v3 to keep compatibility. I see the VX8500 (Chocolate) is listed as compatible. I wonder if the new Chocolate (VX8550) will fit also? This new model seems very very similar to the older one...

So, I guess one just asks the parts department about the insert? I just didn't find much about inserts or hear from anyone who actually got one!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by roadguy54
OK... probably one of those things everyone else knows about ... but... I DIDNT order the bluetooth option ... but DID order the MF steering wheel. Don't know what I was thinking... but now that I would like to have it ... my dealer says there's no way to retrofit the bluetooth so that I can use the steering wheel buttons.....is that really the case??......
We have 2 kits for the R56 Mini with MFSW
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=396
&
http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=398

Old 12-23-2007, 05:52 PM
BadeMillsap
1st Gear
VX8700 DOES pair for me

Regarding the OP ... I just picked up my MINI 12/21/07 ... paired my LG-VX8700 (Verizon) at the dealership ... works fine ... it DOES download my phonebook from the phone and I can select via the "radio" panel the phonebook entries and dial ... what does NOT work is the voice command against the phonebook entries ... when I engage voice command and say "DIAL HOME" ... it tells me the phone book is empty ... when I say "READ PHONEBOOK" it tells me the phone book is empty ... althought as I said I can see and dial all of my phonebook entries with the "radio" panel.

Just in case anyone was searching for VX8700 ... works for me with that one caveat about voice command.

P.S. seems to stay paired reliably as well.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 PM
greylight
3rd Gear
In the supplementary manual I got for BT, it seemed to indicate that the phone book would transfer to the car's BT module, but only for caller id and "manual" selection; it seemed to indicate the phone book for the voice recognition was separate, and had to be programmed, even if your phone book transfers and your phone has VR. This may depend on your phone and or/the version of your SW in the BT module.

gl

Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greylight
In the supplementary manual I got for BT, it seemed to indicate that the phone book would transfer to the car's BT module, but only for caller id and "manual" selection; it seemed to indicate the phone book for the voice recognition was separate, and had to be programmed, even if your phone book transfers and your phone has VR. This may depend on your phone and or/the version of your SW in the BT module.gl
I haven't looked at the supplemental BT manual in a while but this is not the way my car's bluetooth is working. With a Razr, it voice dials with no setup; on the car's phone book or the voice dialing setup on the phone itself. Some how it reads the names in my phone book and compares it to what I say. "Call Home" and it finds "home" in my phone book. Works well too.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:39 AM
DoubleOh7
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by T-Horn67
Is anyone having problems with their phone not "re-pairing"? I've got a Treo 750 that I can get to pair (although no phone book) but it won't reconnect after I shut the car off.....very frustrating.
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? I'm having the same problem with my Sprint Samsung SPH-A900. It pairs very quickly and downloads the address book, but I have to re-pair it everytime I get in the car! I haven't even gotten as far as VC yet to see if it works.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Sparks
2nd Gear
I've gotten the Treo 700wx to transfer the phone book with a little tinkering. THE only problem I have is just have to reset the phone to use it in the Mini.

Not really a big deal for me, for some it might be. Just habit, hit the sport button, reset the phone, start the car. Been doing it this way for 6 months now as I've learned with the Mini, it's just something else to get used to.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:24 AM
BadeMillsap
1st Gear
VX8700 - voice command info

... as a poster above mentioned ... if I create "voice command" phone book entries "manually" and save them, then those are indeed available for me to use with voice command and the VX8700 paired to the MINI ... the phone's phonebook is also there but can only be accessed and used thru the "radio interface" ...

For those that may not have done this yet a couple of things had me stumped as far as creating the MINI voice command phonebook entries ... the sequence that works for me is:
1. press the voice command button on steering wheel and wait for gong
2. say "SAVE NAME" ... actually the word "NAME"
3. MINI responds with "say the name"
4. I say the name like "HOME"
5. Mini asks me to repeat the name
6. I say "HOME" again
7. Mini asks for number
8.I say number like "555 555 5555"
9. Mini repeats the number and says "CONTINUE ?" ...
10. I say "SAVE" .. this was where it wasn't clear how to cause the save to work
11. Mini says "NAME SAVED"

------------------------------------------------------------

There are only a few voice commands that work and if you press the voice command button and say "HELP" ... it will list SOME OF THEM ... it's a little finicky but I have managed to pair two different VX8700's and set up at least a few regularly used voice phonebook entries ... I have noticed that the 2nd VX8700's phonebook doesn't seem to download like the first did and when that is the only phone in the MINI I can't see any phonebook entries on the radio interface list ... as to which VX8700 it "pairs with" when both are on and in the car ... seems to be pot luck .. there may be a pattern there but I haven't figured it out yet.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 AM
DoubleOh7
2nd Gear
Ringing for no reason???

Has anyone experienced their bluetooth just start ringing with no one there?? Mine has done this several times now and I cannot figure out what is wrong with it! The screen shows a bunch of stars for the incoming number and when I reject the call, it just keeps ringing. It will list as an active call and I cannot get it to hang up. The only way I can get it to end the call is to manually turn off my phone. Anyone??

Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DoubleOh7
Has anyone experienced their bluetooth just start ringing with no one there??
Are you saying there isn't actually someone calling yoiu? The stars mean the originating number isn't showing, as if it's a blocked number. But if I hit the reject option on the nav screen, it stops ringing and sends the caller into voicemail.

I haven't heard of the problem you're describing. Odd.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
DoubleOh7
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Are you saying there isn't actually someone calling yoiu? The stars mean the originating number isn't showing, as if it's a blocked number. But if I hit the reject option on the nav screen, it stops ringing and sends the caller into voicemail.

I haven't heard of the problem you're describing. Odd.

As far as I can tell, nobody is actually calling me. I have tried accepting the call (nobody is there) and it lists as an active call but then won't let me end the call.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
DoubleOh7, it sounds like the Samsung phone you have isn't fully compatible with the Mini's bluetooth system. Also you mentioned earlier in the thread having to re-pair the phone everytime you get in the car.

My other phone would connect to the car fine and I could receive calls, but if I placed a call it would drop the bluetooth link to the phone for a split second and act like I never dialed. Meanwhile the phone was off dialing and still saying it was connected to the bluetooth system in the car, even though the call was never heard.

The weird things you are seeing are due to the phone not being on Mini's list. While many phones not on their list work just fine, many only work partially and do some of the strange things like what you've mentioned.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:18 AM
9000RPMan
1st Gear
Has anyone's dealer indicated that there will be a factory bluetooth kit for cars that were not originally ordered with bluetooth? When I purchased my car (in late November), my salesman indicated that there was a factory kit coming along shortly.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
DaveCo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 9000RPMan
Has anyone's dealer indicated that there will be a factory bluetooth kit for cars that were not originally ordered with bluetooth? When I purchased my car (in late November), my salesman indicated that there was a factory kit coming along shortly.
i'd be very interested in that. Bluetooth is one of those options i really wish i'd had installed at the factory ...

Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
I haven't looked at the supplemental BT manual in a while but this is not the way my car's bluetooth is working. With a Razr, it voice dials with no setup; on the car's phone book or the voice dialing setup on the phone itself. Some how it reads the names in my phone book and compares it to what I say. "Call Home" and it finds "home" in my phone book. Works well too.
Do you know what software version is on your Razr? I have two Razr phones and can't get the phone books to transfer on either one of them. I thought it was going to do it automatically. When it didn't I tried the send command and the phone said it sent it, but the car doesn't seem to agree.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by locogringo
Do you know what software version is on your Razr? I have two Razr phones and can't get the phone books to transfer on either one of them. I thought it was going to do it automatically. When it didn't I tried the send command and the phone said it sent it, but the car doesn't seem to agree.
I am using a Razr V3T and it works just like Minidrivrs. I haven't had any pairing or phonebook problems. My phone software is: R3443U5_G_0E.C8.0DR

Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
R3442A_G_OE.43.08R

Came with the phone. I got it through AT&T (Cingular). Now I just need to get my phone cradle charging like it should.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for those that just want a bluetooth speaker phone in the car I highly recommend this thing:

http://www.myblueant.com/supertooth-...-handsfree.htm

Of course it is in no way integrated with the car but it's a very good speaker phone and can be left in the car almost forever. The battery lasts a very long time and you may only end up charging it once a week. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Plaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DoubleOh7
Has anyone experienced their bluetooth just start ringing with no one there?? Mine has done this several times now and I cannot figure out what is wrong with it! The screen shows a bunch of stars for the incoming number and when I reject the call, it just keeps ringing. It will list as an active call and I cannot get it to hang up. The only way I can get it to end the call is to manually turn off my phone. Anyone??
Could it be "ringing" when you get text messages?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Finally got my two RAZR phones to transfer phone books. I had the phone books saved to the SIM cards. I copied them to the phone and they transferred automatically. Oddly enough, they did not transfer immediately after pairing the phones, but did it automatically later. Still can't use the voice dialing for these numbers. It says my phone book is empty. Can dial from the buttons however.

Before I figured this out, I even downloaded and installed to the phone the software version recommended on the Mini site. I may go back and do this to test the voice dial feature.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
I keep the numbers in my Razr stored on the SIM only, not in the phone itself. That is odd they weren't copied to the Mini until you moved them to the phone from the SIM. Definitely the opposite of what I see. Weird.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Got the snap in adapter today. It works fine. All blue tooth functions are up except I still can't voice dial from my phone's phonebook. I will try to load some numbers manually to see if that works.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM
DoubleOh7
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Plaz
Could it be "ringing" when you get text messages?
No, when this happens, my phone doesn't show any activity ... no call, no message, nothing.