R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Brand recommendation on NAV systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdman
Yeah, what UCBrother said!!! See, I knew he would see it my way!!!

As far as non OEM brand units go, I would go with a Garmin. For the imple fact that Garmin has always been GREAT about software updates. I don't mean map updates, I mean software. If there is a bug in the system (and they ALL have bugs here and there), Garmin is the one company that ALWAYS seesm to fix the bug, and release an update you can download and instal on your unit to fix it.

You guys that just want to go from point A to B, your missing alot. One of the nicest things on the built in OEM MINI Nav (shamless plug!) is the MP3 filename and folder listings. I could not live without that.
Perhaps I AM "missing a lot", but then, I have missed pretty much of this electronic boom, anyway. I'm NOT a techie and don't wannabe one, either...all I want is a device that will get me from point A to point B reliably and without all the whistles and bells which, not only do I NOT need, I'LL NEVER USE. So WHY pay big bux for all that stuff? Just GIMMIE something economical, but useful.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We'll, 1st, if you have a Cell phone, it's most likely, a Bluetooth enabled phone. I'm not sure anyone sells phones without bluetooth in them anymore.

2nd, stick your favorits 10 CD's into your computer, the Windows Media player will pop up and start playing them. Now, click on the "Rip" tab, and then click the "Rip Now". After about 1 minute the CD will pop out, stick the next one in and repeat. After about 10 minutes, and all 10 CD's are done, stick in a blank Cd-r Now with your favorite buging software (like Roxio or something), burn those 10 Cd's worth of MP3's onto the new CD-r. When it pops out after about 1 minute, run outside and stick it in your mini's CD player. You now have a "10 CD changer" built into your mini.

Now do this 9 more times, (so you have burnd a total of 10 MP3 CD's with music from about 100 CD's in your collection). Now get yourself the MINI CD holder for the visor which holds 10 CD's on your visor.

Wallah, you now have probably most of your CD collection with you at all times. Happy motoring. ;-)

Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by welshmenwillnotyield
Perhaps I AM "missing a lot", but then, I have missed pretty much of this electronic boom, anyway. I'm NOT a techie and don't wannabe one, either...all I want is a device that will get me from point A to point B reliably and without all the whistles and bells which, not only do I NOT need, I'LL NEVER USE. So WHY pay big bux for all that stuff? Just GIMMIE something economical, but useful.
THAT, is EXACTLY why I like the OEM Nav, precisly for that reason. You do NOT need to be a techie to use it. Some of the aftermarkets you need to be a techie just to plug them in. Power cord, antenna cord, load software, load maps from PC, oh....don't forget to first install the loader on the pc....

With the Mini, I just put the key in, oh wait, I don't have a KEY, just start the car and off you go.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
We'll, 1st, if you have a Cell phone, it's most likely, a Bluetooth enabled phone. I'm not sure anyone sells phones without bluetooth in them anymore.
I have a very plain Motorola cell phone which does not have bluetooth. I specifically bought this phone because it did not bluetooth. Bluetooth does not give me anything other than something else to break.

2nd, stick your favorits 10 CD's into your computer, the Windows Media player will pop up and start playing them. Now, click on the "Rip" tab, and then click the "Rip Now". After about 1 minute the CD will pop out, stick the next one in and repeat. After about 10 minutes, and all 10 CD's are done, stick in a blank Cd-r Now with your favorite buging software (like Roxio or something), burn those 10 Cd's worth of MP3's onto the new CD-r. When it pops out after about 1 minute, run outside and stick it in your mini's CD player. You now have a "10 CD changer" built into your mini.

Now do this 9 more times, (so you have burnd a total of 10 MP3 CD's with music from about 100 CD's in your collection). Now get yourself the MINI CD holder for the visor which holds 10 CD's on your visor.

Wallah, you now have probably most of your CD collection with you at all times. Happy motoring. ;-)
I do not like MP3 encoding. It sounds like crap on my home system and I have no desire to make separate recordings for home and car.

I usually have to remake every CD I buy, due to the lousy recordings. Over-saturated, clipped, and/or poor sample rates, seem to rule these days. Fortunately, I have quite a variety of high end software audio solutions which allows me to correct most problems.

EDIT: By the way, I am not trying to make fun of you here. If you got what you wanted and it works for you, then great. I just think you are making assumptions about technologies.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 07-23-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Other than my built-in, CD-based MINI nav in my '03 (damn early adopter risks!), the other nav unit I have is a Lowrance iWay 600c. Ruggedized unit that can be used in a car, on a trail or in a boat (it's ruggedized, waterproof and has nautical maps and topographical maps for point-to-point use). Gorgeous 640x480 5 inch touchscreen. Even has aerial photo overlays of most major urban areas on it's 30gig hard drive. This is the closest thing to using Google Maps in a portable unit.

Downsides are the thing is heavy, has no internal power source and there is none of the blootoof capabilities. None of these are issues in my usage of the unit.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
THAT, is EXACTLY why I like the OEM Nav, precisly for that reason. You do NOT need to be a techie to use it. Some of the aftermarkets you need to be a techie just to plug them in. Power cord, antenna cord, load software, load maps from PC, oh....don't forget to first install the loader on the pc....

With the Mini, I just put the key in, oh wait, I don't have a KEY, just start the car and off you go.

Gee, no key...a car thief's dream. Hope you keep it locked, and, if ya do...do ya use a key?

Anyway...nope, I do not have Bluetooth on my cell. I'd never use it even if I did. Don't have a CDRW on the PC, either...I opted NOT to get something I'd never use. Therefore, yeah, I have alllll these cds, but it's ok...I live in OHIO and have a large rambling house in which to store all of them.

I keep looking around for a decent, but economical GPS system. However, since I am not tech-minded, all of their descriptions are lost on me. What is NOT lost, however, is the wayyyyyyyy toooooooo highhhhhhhh pricing for such a supposedly simple to use device. I guess I'll just have to stick with my Atlas, Mapquest, and common sense.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
jyarrow
4th Gear
You think you're not a techie...

I've never even used a computer or been on the internet. I hear the internet is pretty cool though.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Actually the Internet is waaaayyyyy over-rated. Although it has done a bang-up job for spam, spyware, adware, malware, viruses, worms, and identity theft.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I recently bought a new NAV. After much NAM reading it seemed that most are firmly in the Garmin camp but after I did much net research I felt the TOMTOM Go910 was the unit for me & so far I am very happy. I did not care about bluetooth either but it's on my TomTom so if I get a call while driving I can talk handsfree & the cost of the TOMTOM w/bluetooth is way lower than the Garmin w/bluetooth. My TomTom is now onsale at Circuit City for only $429 . The TomTom is a bit bigger than the Garmin Nuvis but it's fine for me.

The #1 most important NAV feature for me was to be able to map out-of -the way long rides (not just get me from point A to point B quickly) & have the NAV talk me thru them. I chose the TomTom because it has the capability to be hooked up to my PC & I can click on route points via computer (not enter an address but just click on a point) instead of having to do it on the tiny NAV screen. On my TOMTOM I can do this via the puter then upload it to my TOMTOM & the NAV guides me along the drive.

I didn't think I would care about MP3 capability but after using it I think it is a must. I can hook up the TOMTOM to play thru the MINI stereo speakers so it plays music from my MP3 collection (& the sound quality is great) while I drive & then the NAV voice comes on & interrupts when I need to make a turn. If I didn't have MP3 capability I would have to get directions via the TOMTOM little external speaker unless I wanted to drive in total silence. The TOMTOM external speaker is fine but if I was jamming to the radio it would be hard to hear.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jyarrow
I've never even used a computer or been on the internet. I hear the internet is pretty cool though.
LOL!! Now that is funny.

Ok, so you DON'T want ANY features, you don't want ANY technology in the car cause your "not a techie"..... I have a good suggestion for you, probably the best suggestion in this thread, and I'm NOT kidding. DO NOT GET A NAV UNIT. Why, cause they are ALL technology based, they ALL are cumputer based with menu's, must be prepared and setup, plugged in, and the settings set to your liking.... so seriously, don't get one.

OR, get the easiest one to plugin and connect, and use without any real techie knowledge: the MINI oem NAv!!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:11 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jyarrow
Uhhhh I hate to burst your bubble or mar your virginity but you do know NAM is on the internet & you were on the internet while making that post

Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
garp
Neutral
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
We had a Garmin StreetPilot III unit until just recently when it was stolen. Never had a problem with it. It was awesome.

Sad Garmin does not make a real replacement for it. I really do not care for any of the Nuvi units.
You might want to pick up a rebuilt Streetpilot 2610. I grabbed one from Edgegps.com last week for $199, which is a steal. I also have a Nuvi 350, which is a great unit but it is not waterproof so I cannot use it on my motorcycles.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Going Gray
2nd Gear
To each his own, but for my money and demand for quality, reliability and performance I chose the Garmin, the industry leader. You can buy 7-9 of them depending on model for the price that MINI charges for 1, and it is very easily transferred to your other car when you must leave your MINI at home. And the rapid pace of technological enhancements to these units makes the factory installed ones obsolete in a year or two. For example, some models now give you advance warning of traffic delays and update you on weather conditions along your route.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
LOL!! Now that is funny.

Ok, so you DON'T want ANY features, you don't want ANY technology in the car cause your "not a techie"..... I have a good suggestion for you, probably the best suggestion in this thread, and I'm NOT kidding. DO NOT GET A NAV UNIT. Why, cause they are ALL technology based, they ALL are cumputer based with menu's, must be prepared and setup, plugged in, and the settings set to your liking.... so seriously, don't get one.

OR, get the easiest one to plugin and connect, and use without any real techie knowledge: the MINI oem NAv!!

Fantastic! Well, that sure settled my angst, and also my worried wallet. Nope, NO NAV for me!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:11 PM
eny mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I recently bought a new NAV. After much NAM reading it seemed that most are firmly in the Garmin camp but after I did much net research I felt the TOMTOM Go910 was the unit for me & so far I am very happy. I did not care about bluetooth either but it's on my TomTom so if I get a call while driving I can talk handsfree & the cost of the TOMTOM w/bluetooth is way lower than the Garmin w/bluetooth. My TomTom is now onsale at Circuit City for only $429 . The TomTom is a bit bigger than the Garmin Nuvis but it's fine for me.

The #1 most important NAV feature for me was to be able to map out-of -the way long rides (not just get me from point A to point B quickly) & have the NAV talk me thru them. I chose the TomTom because it has the capability to be hooked up to my PC & I can click on route points via computer (not enter an address but just click on a point) instead of having to do it on the tiny NAV screen. On my TOMTOM I can do this via the puter then upload it to my TOMTOM & the NAV guides me along the drive.

I didn't think I would care about MP3 capability but after using it I think it is a must. I can hook up the TOMTOM to play thru the MINI stereo speakers so it plays music from my MP3 collection (& the sound quality is great) while I drive & then the NAV voice comes on & interrupts when I need to make a turn. If I didn't have MP3 capability I would have to get directions via the TOMTOM little external speaker unless I wanted to drive in total silence. The TOMTOM external speaker is fine but if I was jamming to the radio it would be hard to hear.
Yes, I also have a TomTom 910 and I love it. Since I've got the Ipod interface, I don't use it for music. but I do like the handsfree bluetooth phone capability. Today I bought a JBL Micro On stage Ipod/MP3 speaker,(less than 6" in dia.) hooked it up to the TomTom, put the speaker in the little net cubby on the passenger side and easily hid the cable- it sounds great and I can now hear the directions and phone calls almost as clearly as thru the car speakers. I also have an XM receiver hooked up via the AUX port, the Ipod is hooked into the CD changer port. Now I can get very good sound from the TomTom and my phone, but still rock out to satellite or my Ipod. Now if I could figure out how to hardwire the JBL speaker power instead of using batteries, it would almost be perfect.

Last edited by eny mini; 07-23-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
all these OEM nav sales pitches

face it people 10 % of the car for nav is NOT worth it, in any sense of the term, it's pure bling, not only that, the OEM nav sucks, it's no where near as nice as the aftermarket gps's, touchscreen much? idrive blows, it's built on that, it still blows, bmw should give it up and look at what other companies are putting out, super seriul

I own a few gps's, handheld for my offroading, one for the motorcycle, one for my car, and one for traveling

I prefer garmin's routing software, but I prefer tomtom's map display

I have to update every year at least one, the roads are changing so much the updated maps help a TON, if you have traveled with an old gps you know what I'm talking about, I keep my travel gps updated, I just ordered new maps for it (20 $ from mio!)

I take lots of trips, and when I get in a rental car, that 2000 $ OEM nav sure dont help me

OEM = bling only, all the oem lover sales pitches just make me that much sure I made the right choice skipping it

so back on the topic, garmin's routing & maps seem better, tomtom's display seems better, I own a couple of both

and Idrive still sucks bad, bmw needs to give it up

Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72

OEM = bling only
You say 'bling only' as if it were some kind of sin. Most of us put lots of 'bling only' items on our cars. What about Metalic Paint, Chrome line exterior, bonnet stripes, hypersport body kit, lounge leather, trim upgrades, 17" wheels, Aero kit, and all of the accessory items.

This particular OEM navigation system, bling wise, is quite possibly the coolest looking of any nav system out there.

By the way, added on electronics gadgetry, for instance the Garmin Nuvi and the ipod in my car, not to mention the associated wiring, add a lot of clutter to the otherwise clean lines of the interior. Some might say that this added stuff makes the interior look junky. If I wasn't currently a retired guy I'd have certainly spent the extra bucks on NAV and Audio upgrades, if for no other reason than to keep that very clean interior look of the MINI.

The OEM NAV is functional. It seems to work well for most people. Haven't seen much in the way of complaints on this forum. But even if it isn't the easiest to use of those out there (that seems to be your complaint - even though it conflicts with comments by someone who owns one), it certainly puts an exclamation point on the character and beauty of the MINI's interior.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
h20baby
2nd Gear
Lol...is that a dead horse I smell...