R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Brand recommendation on NAV systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdman
Let me repeat myself one more time, MINI!!! And yes, $2100 is WAY over priced, and MINI/BMW should be ashamed of themselves for overcharging for Nav, ALL cars should come STANDARD with Nav today, period.

But remember, it's NOT just Nav, it's integration with PDC, software settings, menus, bluetooth phone connections, MP3's/radio displays..... maybe ya'all need a different angle???
Birdman, you're starting to get on my nerves with this Nav thing!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
Ah, not sure where your lookin', but the LCD Nav screen in my MINi and pictured above, is round. ..and, an aftermarket unit stuck to the dash somewhere with an antenna and power wires dangling around looks "real clean".

That said, I could care less what it looks like to be honest. What I look for for is functionality and ergonomics. The car is too small for an aftermarket unit to be dangling around the dashboard already 1/2 blocked by the mamoth rear-view mirror.

You can plan trips, ON the MINI nav. Select as many "destinations" as you wish by entering in the address, searching for things (like restuaraunts, hotels, attractions...), or just plain old pointing the crosshairs at a position. Then off you go in the order you entered them or in the order best selected by MINI.

If you ask me, the ONLY excuse NOT to get the built in Nav, is simply $$. If you can't afford it, I can fully understand that. Like I said, it's a ripoff, and one MINI/BMW should be ashamed of, and I'll post that till lthe day it's $100 extra or FREE. But if you can afford it, or are borderline, GET IT and thank me later.
The image is not round, but as they say, love is blind!

It's really no big deal to hardwire a GPS or anything else cleanly, and mount in a clean fashion.

There is no way I'm going to sit in my car for a couple hours planning a trip.

Can I put the built in Nav on my motorcycle? No. Can I put in in my jeep? No. Can I take it in the house and load 8 gigs of MP3's on it? No.
I am happy you love your built in Nav, but price is not the only reason not to get it.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
they would be better off if they never EVER mention the word "idrive" anywhere on any mini documentation

idrive is the worst navigation software & interface on the market, EVERY other nav system is better, I have yet to use one that was harder than the "idrive"

and every review I've ever read stated the same thing, idrive is horrible
Well, guess I'll join Birdman as one of those folks who get on ucbrother's nerves. As I understood it from early R56 reviews, BMW cleaned up their iDrive act on the MINI Cooper version. Am I wrong here?

Late Entry: Using the search feature on the R56 forum I checked on, "iDrive". I didn't find a single complaint about the way it functioned in the R56, though there was one individual who's voice recognition wasn't working (this individual is/was awaiting a software upgrade).

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 07-19-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Late Entry:
Old 07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
MalteseFalcn
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cast another vote for Garmin for me. I have a fairly low-end unit (340 or 350?), but it's still very easy to use. Simplistic and fairly accurate, I'm happy with it...

Old 07-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Pam
3rd Gear
Haven't gotten one yet and maybe I'll figure it out then but....where do you all put the screens? Attach to dash board? Thought maybe to glass on speedo - don't use it as I use digital on Tach but then it would block gas guage. Also is it worth upgrading to larger 4.3" screen or is 3.5" adequate? (quoting these dimensions from memory - could be wrong.) seems like a pretty strong concensus for Garmin

Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
We attach my wife's Nuvi 360 to the lower left windshield via the suction cup adapter. We have it positioned so it is just above the dash.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Keista
Neutral
Garmin Nuvi is the way to go....Good price, good features....I have a Porsche with Nav option and have yet to turn the unit on! Just watch your zip codes, as you can have same adress...

Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 PM
h20baby
2nd Gear
MINI

LOL Birdman..If you don't have stock in the comapny that makes the OEM Nav units you should....

Old 07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
h20baby
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ken Cooper
Well, guess I'll join Birdman as one of those folks who get on ucbrother's nerves. As I understood it from early R56 reviews, BMW cleaned up their iDrive act on the MINI Cooper version. Am I wrong here?

Late Entry: Using the search feature on the R56 forum I checked on, "iDrive". I didn't find a single complaint about the way it functioned in the R56, though there was one individual who's voice recognition wasn't working (this individual is/was awaiting a software upgrade).

What is it with you guys...this thread is about non-oem navs...we have extensive threads on on all the opinions of the OEM NAV else where...Yes you are being pests with this OEM NAV....I'm happy you love what you got...we get it...We know it incorporates other things...we get it...We all love Mini's thats why we are here...This borders on OCD...and we have a thread on that as well.....

Last edited by h20baby; 07-20-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Originally Posted by h20baby
What is it with you guys...this thread is about non-oem navs...we have extensive threads on on all the opinions of the OEM NAV else where...Yes you are being pests with this OEM NAV....I'm happy you love what you got...we get it...We know it incorporates other things...we get it...We all love Mini's thats why we are here...This borders on OCD...and we have a thread on that as well.....
Amen!

Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Ken Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by h20baby
I don't own the OEM NAV, although I do admire it. My response was to a comment regarding iDrive, a system that got a bad reputation on earlier BMWs, but has apparently been made to work very well on the MINI Cooper. My response was to a comment that stated:

"they would be better off if they never EVER mention the word "idrive" anywhere on any mini documentation

idrive is the worst navigation software & interface on the market, EVERY other nav system is better, I have yet to use one that was harder than the "idrive"

and every review I've ever read stated the same thing, idrive is horrible"

When I see an undeserved slamming I believe it deserves a response. It doesn't deserve to go unanswered on this forum where potential MINI Cooper buyers come to research.

Also, I don't believe Birdman deserved to be tongue-lashed simply because of exhibiting a bit of over-exuberance and then responding to people who were putting down the OEM NAV system.

P.S. As mentioned earlier, I strongly recommend the Garmin Nuvi 350 or 360 (just to get us back on topic here).

Last edited by Ken Cooper; 07-21-2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:58 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I've not found any reviews of the mini's idrive yet, I did not even play with it, without a touch screen I simply did not even care to try it out

how many out there have used the idrive in the current bmw's (2007 models still suck) and the mini and verified they are different?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 AM
cnolan
2nd Gear
I'd suggest Garmin or TomTom. I opted not to get Nav in our MCS (and I CAN afford it) because the interface is just not intuitive to use. In my mind, the only thing it really offered was a better way to integrate with other electronics, such as phone. Just not worth it in my opinion. I bought a garmin for $200 and it works fine for when I need it (which is maybe 1x a week at MOST).

I've played with both the 2007 BMW nav and Mini Nav, and frankly, they're both very, very bad.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 AM
dwasson
2nd Gear
Old 07-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Pam
3rd Gear
Thank you all for the input. I ordered a Garmin 350 yesterday and it should be here in a few days. It was at Best Buy for $479 (Not too "best") and I ended up getting it online at Buydig.com for $355.49. They even offered free shipping but I opted to get it here a little sooner and paid $7.95.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:25 PM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Pam
Thank you all for the input. I ordered a Garmin 350 yesterday and it should be here in a few days. It was at Best Buy for $479 (Not too "best") and I ended up getting it online at Buydig.com for $355.49. They even offered free shipping but I opted to get it here a little sooner and paid $7.95.
Good for you! I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Paul830
2nd Gear
Garmin all the way!!! I've had one for over a year and it has proven to be one of the best Nav units out there. It's small enough to carry in your pocket. I've actually used it in the pedestrian mode when in Nova Scotia... and it was wonderful. I do like the MINI stock unit however, I think it's over priced... I had a mfg. nav unit in a TSX and loved it... It blended with the dash and overall look of the car... but I couldn't take it out and use it in walking mode or into another car... I just downloaded the MINI logo and MINI cars, really look good on the Garmin. Also, you can up grade your software free of charge... Garmin is always providing upgrades to their units. It also speaks the names of the streets and recalculates routes very fast. My vote is Garmin...

Old 07-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Pam
3rd Gear
Good idea to put picture of Mini Logo or MINI (that way I can look at it and drive it at the same time!) on the Garmin.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
"Idrive"?? What's that?

Just for the record, who care's what the "drive" unit is called? I turn it on, it shows me where I am, and I can select in 2 seconds, a new destination wether it be from a list of menu's for exisint points (gas stations, returarants,...) or just an address I want to enter. Wallah! It takes me to that address.

As for the guys who says he doesn't want to sit in his car for "hours" to plan a trip?? I don't know where yur going or whta the heck your doing, but I can put in a trip to 10 location in about 2 minutes. What's to "plan"? Just put in the address , and MOTOR!!

And PS- the MINI Nav comes WITH the MINI logo!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
We had a Garmin StreetPilot III unit until just recently when it was stolen. Never had a problem with it. It was awesome.

Sad Garmin does not make a real replacement for it. I really do not care for any of the Nuvi units.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
ucbrother
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Skuzzy
We had a Garmin StreetPilot III unit until just recently when it was stolen. Never had a problem with it. It was awesome.

Sad Garmin does not make a real replacement for it. I really do not care for any of the Nuvi units.
Now you've gone and done it Skuzzy. You just gave Birdman more ammo! We'll have to endure the lecture on how that wouldn't be a problem with the built in nav. There, I said it for you BM. Spare us, please!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
What is recommended if you just want something to get you where you want to go, without bluetooth or mp3 or that stuff? IOW, what's better, Tom Tom One or Garmin...and if it IS Garmin, which one for a basic, but good, GPS?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ucbrother
Now you've gone and done it Skuzzy. You just gave Birdman more ammo! We'll have to endure the lecture on how that wouldn't be a problem with the built in nav. There, I said it for you BM. Spare us, please!
I dunt(tm) care for the restrictions of a built-in NAV system. Being able to take the GPS into the house and download all the trip plans into it is wonderful.

Being able to pick all the waypoints for fuel and food along the way is really nice when you can do it in your home.

Being able to use the GPS in any car is the nicest thing for us. The same software, the same interface, the same voice. I could have gotten the Lexus and the Mini with their repsective NAV systems, but it would have been a nightmare for us to have to deal with those two very different systems.

EDIT: I am with welshmen... I just want a GPS. I have no need for bluetooth, or mp3,..or whatever. I just want a good solid GPS with a reasonable sized screen. One that can sit on the dash. One without a touchscreen. With voice prompts and automatic re-routing. One that with programmable waypoints.

Hehe. I know exactly what I want, but Garmin does not make it anymore. Darn it!

Last edited by Skuzzy; 07-23-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Birdman
6th Gear
Yeah, what UCBrother said!!! See, I knew he would see it my way!!!

As far as non OEM brand units go, I would go with a Garmin. For the imple fact that Garmin has always been GREAT about software updates. I don't mean map updates, I mean software. If there is a bug in the system (and they ALL have bugs here and there), Garmin is the one company that ALWAYS seesm to fix the bug, and release an update you can download and instal on your unit to fix it.

You guys that just want to go from point A to B, your missing alot. One of the nicest things on the built in OEM MINI Nav (shamless plug!) is the MP3 filename and folder listings. I could not live without that.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
You are assuming everyone uses MP3's. I do not have an MP3 anywhere. So that feature is pretty useless to me. So it is not anything I would be missing.

I do not own a bluetooth phone. So I do not need that feature either.

Quick Reply: R56 Brand recommendation on NAV systems