R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 New owner has questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 04:49 AM
Johnnykay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner has questions

I just recently bought a 2008 Cooper S clubman. Whenever I buy a car, I go thru it and because I know absolutely zilch about the Mini's. I took it to a reputable Cooper repair shop. The dealer that I bought the car from did not know too much about the car, so I on the safe side had a few things done to it. The timing chain kit, related gaskets, new crank shaft seal, oil changed, new breather hoses, new drive belt and coolant flush. They also reset the service reminder, checked and cleared a couple of codes. and gave it a visual inspection, like brakes, etc. Total cost was about 1900 dollars, which I thought was reasonable.
I am retired now and plan to use the car just for getting around town when needed. Because it is. a higher milage car, is there anything else i should watch out for?
Thanks to all who reply.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:27 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 521 Likes on 405 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnnykay
I just recently bought a 2008 Cooper S clubman. Whenever I buy a car, I go thru it and because I know absolutely zilch about the Mini's. I took it to a reputable Cooper repair shop. The dealer that I bought the car from did not know too much about the car, so I on the safe side had a few things done to it. The timing chain kit, related gaskets, new crank shaft seal, oil changed, new breather hoses, new drive belt and coolant flush. They also reset the service reminder, checked and cleared a couple of codes. and gave it a visual inspection, like brakes, etc. Total cost was about 1900 dollars, which I thought was reasonable.
I am retired now and plan to use the car just for getting around town when needed. Because it is. a higher milage car, is there anything else i should watch out for?
Thanks to all who reply.
just keep an eye on the oil and you should be just fine. These n14’s like to burn oil. I have 157,000 on mine, I change the oil every 4-5k, plugs once a year, rotate tires with the oil change, and every 10k I’m doing an engine flush before the oil change. It might be a little overboard but I drive the mini hard, need this snow to go away so I can go get me some dragon time. If you want an extra piece of mind on how things are running, pick up a scanguage, it plugs into your obd2 and allows you to watch temps, I have mine set for water, intake, and oil temps and boost in the 4th spot.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:57 AM
Johnnykay
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
just keep an eye on the oil and you should be just fine. These n14’s like to burn oil. I have 157,000 on mine, I change the oil every 4-5k, plugs once a year, rotate tires with the oil change, and every 10k I’m doing an engine flush before the oil change. It might be a little overboard but I drive the mini hard, need this snow to go away so I can go get me some dragon time. If you want an extra piece of mind on how things are running, pick up a scanguage, it plugs into your obd2 and allows you to watch temps, I have mine set for water, intake, and oil temps and boost in the 4th spot.

Jason, thanks for the input. I always in my daily car replace the oil with the best synthetic at 2 to 2.5 thousand miles. I'm gonna in a few weeks take it in for a complete tune up which will have the plugs, and anything else needed replaced.
I see that you are a fan of going to the tail of the dragon. I live outside of Asheville NC (in the Smokey Mountains) and live a stones throw away from there. Maybe this year i will get the chance to go there and enjoy the trip. Maybe I'll take one of my other cars (see pics).

Old 02-21-2021, 05:34 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 521 Likes on 405 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnnykay
Jason, thanks for the input. I always in my daily car replace the oil with the best synthetic at 2 to 2.5 thousand miles. I'm gonna in a few weeks take it in for a complete tune up which will have the plugs, and anything else needed replaced.
I see that you are a fan of going to the tail of the dragon. I live outside of Asheville NC (in the Smokey Mountains) and live a stones throw away from there. Maybe this year i will get the chance to go there and enjoy the trip. Maybe I'll take one of my other cars (see pics).

MIni’s On The Dragon or MOTD is unofficially going to happen on April 28th thru May 3rd. I will be there and I know one of my buddies, Colinmini here on NAM, will also be making the trip from Cleveland. He is planning on being down there March 5th. I’m looking at be down there in 3 weeks or so, and will be spending a whole day Saturday making runs. I’ll send you a message and hopefully get to meet you out there.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:45 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,741 Likes on 1,397 Posts
A Clubman, a TVR, and an MGB rolled into a garage... There's a joke in there somewhere

Nice garage! The clubman is a great car. You'll enjoy it.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:28 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Vixen?
2500M?

Last edited by cristo; 02-21-2021 at 01:57 PM.