1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new mini owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Cyclonegrey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new mini owner with questions

Hey all,

I'm currently looking for a new daily and have my eye on a mini. I've been researching the forums so I know about the minis issues but have some questions on a specific car.

The car I'm looking at is a 2008 MCS with 17k miles. I test drove it and it drives perfect and I also checked the service history. The car still has 10 months of warrantee left so I want to make sure I check for everything before I get stuck with a mini out of warrantee and end up with the minis big $ issues.

According to the service history it has only had 2 oils changes in the last 3 years. The first at 3500 and the second at 11k. I know that the recommended service interval is 12k but it still seams that the oil was in the car a long time. Do you think that this might contribute to possible timing chain issues in the future?

Are there any other things I should go over with a fine toothed comb before I decide to pull the trigger?

Lastly this mini has been on the lot for a few weeks and the dealer has a bunch on used minis on the lot. How much negotiating room is there on minis these days. The car is a 6 speed that's loaded except nav and is listed at $20999. How much can I expect to be able to negotiate off of this price?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hopefully I'll be a new owner soon.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my '07 S, so I am biased.

The oil change interval for the MINI is long. The synthetic oil does last a long time, but many of us on NAM change oil at 5000 or 7500 (or less). IMHO the fact that it was changed at 3500 mi is good news. The next long interval "might" be a problem, but most MINI drivers are probably using the CBS intervals and doing fine. I don't think oil changes have been linked to chain tensioner issues.

I would watch/listen for the chain tensioner and get it done before the warranty is up if possible.

The HPFP is an issue, but it is covered for 10yrs. Carbon on the back of the valves is something else that is happening (as with all DI engines). If you can drive another S and notice any hesitation or lack of "pull" then that could be an issue. (Install a catch can ASAP to slow further build up)

You could negotiate fixes for these issues before purchase or get an extended warranty.

As for price, there is always room for movement for a used car. Check for private party and lot prices in your area.

Good luck.