R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Can’t view CCID codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 AM
ZRXChris
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can’t view CCID codes

newbie here, when I got the car it was showing a couple of lightbulb warning lights. Previous owner said I needed to replace the reverse light assembly. No biggie. He recommended getting the FIXD app and reader (I ordered one) as Minis are fickle and throw a lot of warning lights. So today I got my first check engine light. I tried to search here for how to get the CCID code, couldn’t find anything so I googled and found this

http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes/
I clicked thru the BCD button got to the check screen and could get to the engine light but there was no code. Went to autozone and used their OBD reader and nothing.

1. is there a tutorial on here for how to see the CCID codes using the stick? Even though my check engine light has now come and gone a few times, it seems like I would have been able to see the codes for the light assembly.

thanks!

Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I don’t know about checking the codes with the stalk like that. I saw a YouTube video where a guy was doing it, but I don’t know what ones it will or won’t show.
Im going to give you my spiel now..... Be aware that there are some codes that a generic scan tool won’t show you. There are proprietary manufacturers codes that needs the proper software to read. As an example, after I first got my R60, when the car was actively in limp-mode, I went to AutoZone to have the codes read. When they scanned it, their reader said “No Codes” but that was clearly not right. So I went to a local Euro shop that put their BMW scanner on it and it showed five codes. One active and four stored.
So be aware when shopping for a scan tool for a Mini. I don’t know about FIXED, but while DashCmd is great for gauges, it’s doesn’t read the codes or clear them very well at all. I use a Schwaben scan tool from ECS Tuning. Carly is another option. There are a couple of others, but I’m blanking on them right now. There is even something for a laptop.
If you plan on doing any of your own diy work on the car, a scan tool for them is vital. My scan tool has more than paid for itself several times over. And it has a whole bunch of different functions. Just being able to use it register a new battery almost covers the cost, since MINI charges $150 or more from what I’ve seen here on NAM, to do what takes five minutes or less with my scan tool. I used it to diagnose my turbo and HPFP as well. Without any gauges and with stingy software, you really can’t diagnose your problems without something like one of the options.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrGrumpy:
ECSTuning (11-11-2019), ZRXChris (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 07:05 AM
ZRXChris
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks so much!

the guy I bought the car from used the FIXD tool exclusively on the mini and his BMW, so I’m assuming it reads beemer codes, but I’ll check with their customer service.

no codes for a Day now so hopefully the FIXD tool will help me see what this past code was

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
I don’t know about checking the codes with the stalk like that. I saw a YouTube video where a guy was doing it, but I don’t know what ones it will or won’t show.
Im going to give you my spiel now..... Be aware that there are some codes that a generic scan tool won’t show you. There are proprietary manufacturers codes that needs the proper software to read. As an example, after I first got my R60, when the car was actively in limp-mode, I went to AutoZone to have the codes read. When they scanned it, their reader said “No Codes” but that was clearly not right. So I went to a local Euro shop that put their BMW scanner on it and it showed five codes. One active and four stored.
So be aware when shopping for a scan tool for a Mini. I don’t know about FIXED, but while DashCmd is great for gauges, it’s doesn’t read the codes or clear them very well at all. I use a Schwaben scan tool from ECS Tuning. Carly is another option. There are a couple of others, but I’m blanking on them right now. There is even something for a laptop.
If you plan on doing any of your own diy work on the car, a scan tool for them is vital. My scan tool has more than paid for itself several times over. And it has a whole bunch of different functions. Just being able to use it register a new battery almost covers the cost, since MINI charges $150 or more from what I’ve seen here on NAM, to do what takes five minutes or less with my scan tool. I used it to diagnose my turbo and HPFP as well. Without any gauges and with stingy software, you really can’t diagnose your problems without something like one of the options.