R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 JCW + Nokian WRG4 + Harper experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Gelmobile
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
JCW + Nokian WRG4 + Harper experience

Last night we drove back from VT back to the Garden State after two nice days of skiing right before Harper hit us.
The car is comfortable, fitted a pair of 170 and her little 140 skis nicely with my tip sticking out the armrest about a 2 inches or so.
We got boots, ski clothes, a suitcase of clothes and some food loaded, with enough room for the front passenger
seat to recline as far back as possible. Snow started to stick pretty much the entire way from local roads to all major highways
(87S to NY state thruway). There weren't much cars on the road. Most people with 4 or AWD were somewhat conservative doing
about 40mph. I really wanted to see how the car and tires handle. The entire 5.5 hrs drive I was averaging about 60-68 mph, only a Focus RS
was flashing to pass me on the left lane and then took off doing about 75 mph (he must have snow tires on). I was passing with
plenty of room for everyone with no sudden acceleration or braking. There is some slip and slide required minor steering correction on the snow covered
passing lane. The steering is quite responsive and for all top all season tires driven, these probably are the best snow handling tires by far with no surprises.
She was driving at one point sliding down a short decline and having a hard time stopping as she was pumping the abs brakes and didn't downshift/slow down before
descenting the slope. We did finally stop without drama. All and all, very happy with the setup. As for wet handling, the tires in general treads water quite well but
as for stopping / slowing down at 60 mph+ there's a delay in gripping comparing to the summer dedicated Pzeros I had before. All and all it was fun driving back.