R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Phantom Trunk opening?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:40 AM
stegz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phantom Trunk opening?

Hey all,

I've searched the forums and I've only found issues where the trunk won't open / is stuck on Clubmans. I have a weird issue with mine, the last three mornings I've come out to my trunk being open, I lock my car at night and I know I'm not hitting the button on the fob. Any ideas as to what this might be? I'm thinking about taking it into the dealership to have them check it out. But I figured I'd check here first.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2018, 08:49 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
When I lock my vehicle, I can open my back entry, but my fob is in my pocket.
If I put my fob several feet away after locking my vehicle and try to open that lid, I can't.
Did you have your fob with in 5 to 6 feet when checking it ?

Or did you mean the door was all the way open and you and the fob was nowhere near ?

Old 04-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
At the bottom of the page you have Related Topics, see below. Things like this https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...unlocking.html

Old 06-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Christopher Brodsky
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is an older thread but, I was on here looking for some info on anoter issue I have with the rear plit doors and saw this so I figured I would post this in case someone needed this info.

SI M51 09 08
Body Equipment

July 2008
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M51 09 08 dated July 2008.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Rear Split Door Opening Problems

MODEL
[NEW] R55 (Cooper Clubman and Cooper S Clubman) produced up to 9/2008

SITUATION
One or both of the rear split doors intermittently have functional problems. The door[s] may not unlatch when the lever on the handle is pulled, or the latch may release unexpectedly without the lever being
pulled.

[NEW] This situation is most common during or immediately after the split doors get wet from rain or a car wash.

CAUSE
The door handle wire harness connection for each door may be corroded, due to excess moisture entering the connector. This corrosion can lead to an inoperable micro switch in the handle, or a short which activates the latch.

[NEW] CORRECTION
An interim solution was put into place in January 2008, which included adding Nyogel to the connector.

The permanent series solution as well as the service solution is to replace the connectors on both split doors with waterproof connectors.

PROCEDURE

1. [NEW] Inspect the outer door handle to ensure that it's sitting flush to the split door. If it is not flush, adjust as necessary using Repair Instruction RA 51 24 155 as a reference.

2. Remove the inner door panel from the right hand split door per Repair Instruction RA 51 49 040/041.
Zoom/Print

3. Identify the connector for the door handle wire harness (1). Cut the connector out of the harness as closely as possible to both sides of the connector, as shown by the dotted lines.
Zoom/Print

4. Install the new waterproof connector in the same position as the old one, using 4 cable connectors and 4 shrink tubes. Be sure that the wires are in the same positions as in the old connector.

NOTE:
The door handle side of the harness (1) should have the male end of the connector (2) secured to it.

5. Wrap the connector with felt tape in order to prevent any future rattles.

6. Repeat the above procedure for the left hand split door.

The following users liked this post:
cargusjoh (08-04-2018)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 PM
OldPepperwood
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if you've sorted this out or not (hopefully you have by now... nearly a year later) I had something like this happen on my '09 Clubman S. Turned out the rear doors had filled with water over the winter and had reached the relays, which were shorting out. Occasionally it would happen overnight, like yours, and then it started happening while I was driving. I could actually hear the relay click several times randomly. I took it to my mechanic, who informed me that there is a drain plug that is left in the hole on the door with the relay, but the hole is open on the non relay side. Anyway, they took out the plug, let everything dry out and it never happened again. May not be the same issue, but I thought I'd share my experience.