R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Do I need underhood insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do I need underhood insulation?

I have a '13 Clubman S with a functional hood scoop, and what appears to be factory shielding around the turbo hot side. It does not however have the underhood insulation piece. Should I get it (and cut a hole in it for the scoop)? Or is it fine to roll without it? I'm mostly concerned about excess heat causing paint damage and/or the scoop warping (it's currently fine though).

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
My '09 S came without an underhood heat shield, and it had about a third of the scoop air inlets open. The scoop started to warp after about three years...here in Massachusetts. The dealer replaced the scoop and installed an aluminum underhood heat shield....it didn't warp after that. My car had the standard heat shield around the hot side of the turbo.

I haven't looked closely at the hood scoops on the '13 models, but if more of the air inlets are open compared to my '09, then perhaps they are letting more of the heat out after the car is turned off.....maybe enough to prevent warping.

Unlike the first gen MINI's, the scoops on the 2nd gen's don't feed cool air to an intercooler, so they aren't critical to cooling - they're more cosmetic. They can help cool the turbo/downpipe if you're driving your car hard, and esp. if you drive hard and have to shut the engine down without letting it idle for a short time. I guess that this is really when an open scoop can help the most....

I would say that you're probably safe regarding paint damage, and considering that you live in a hot climate and the scoop hasn't warped yet, then you're likely safe with that as well.

The following users liked this post:
the_dude_abides (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I would get the metal protection, some people like the rear insulation also.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...p-warping.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
the_dude_abides (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 03:53 PM
the_dude_abides
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
My '09 S came without an underhood heat shield, and it had about a third of the scoop air inlets open. The scoop started to warp after about three years...here in Massachusetts. The dealer replaced the scoop and installed an aluminum underhood heat shield....it didn't warp after that. My car had the standard heat shield around the hot side of the turbo.

I haven't looked closely at the hood scoops on the '13 models, but if more of the air inlets are open compared to my '09, then perhaps they are letting more of the heat out after the car is turned off.....maybe enough to prevent warping.

Unlike the first gen MINI's, the scoops on the 2nd gen's don't feed cool air to an intercooler, so they aren't critical to cooling - they're more cosmetic. They can help cool the turbo/downpipe if you're driving your car hard, and esp. if you drive hard and have to shut the engine down without letting it idle for a short time. I guess that this is really when an open scoop can help the most....

I would say that you're probably safe regarding paint damage, and considering that you live in a hot climate and the scoop hasn't warped yet, then you're likely safe with that as well.
Appreciate the info and feedback regarding your experience with this. I'll check with my local dealer on that heat shield piece...