R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rear Tail/Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:22 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Tail/Brake light

What causes the plastic around the Left rear Brake light housing to melt and cause a Error code. Where can I get a new bulb holder or the housing the bulb holders fit in.. Checked both side and it's only the left Brake light that is causing the problem. Dealer wants $300+ to fix it. There has to be a less expensive wa. This is the 3rd time in 18 months this has happened this time the holder was like stuck to the assembly had to use a knife and and cut away the blob of melted plastic. The bulb it's self is fine tried it on right side and it works.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Tom

Old 05-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
are you sure it is the correct bulb? Sounds like it is too hot to me .... too much watts??? If not too hot a bulb there must be a short generating heat .....

I dunno anyplace you can get 'part of' a light assembly as they are sold as a unit. Junkyard perhaps ....

got any pictures?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,378 Posts
What he said ^

If it's not the correct bulb, could be getting too hot.

There are used Clubman tail lights on eBay

Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Thanks guys thought that might be the problem the original burned out went to OReilly auto parts for replacement. Look at Right Brake light bulb looks different and a entirely different number. Off to the dealer for correct bulbs and will look on Ebay and Mini Mania for a replacement housing.

Tom

Old 05-04-2017, 04:27 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
you don't really need the dealer for the bulb

there should be a book at the part store with correct numbers ... also in the owner's manual.

housing should be readily available too (on line supplier or the dealer), but pricey

Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 AM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Capt. looking a the right brake OEM light bulb there is a different number. US Bulb number 7506 Which is a 22 watt bulb, While in the manual it calls for a 21 watt/5watt W 5 W bulb, whatever that is. The Bentley call for a P21 W bulb. Now to sort it all out. Will go to dealer and see what they have. The housing assemble is two part the housing it's sefl and the bulb/socket holder. These are on quirky little car, but my wife loves it's up to me to keep it in top shape.

Just went out to garage to check the number on the housing and while out there I discovered that the light is working. Spent and hour filing and sanding the housing where it melted so the bulb holder would fit and make better contact. Didn't have to check it after putting it back in the car, still going to dealer for a Mini bulb so that housing doesn't melt again. Will be looking another housing just in case and add it to my stock of replacement parts.

Tom

Last edited by TBRoye; 05-04-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampp215w.html

the P21 type bulb is a common brake lamp

it has TWO filaments .... think of it as a normal and a bright

normal is 5w ,,, this is brake lights, normal intensity - what you see in the brake housing when lights are on

bright is 21 watt ... the BRIGHT you see when the brake pedal is pressed.

if there was a single filament 22 watt bulb in there, it was wrong and too 'hot' and if a single filament was probably not operating correctly ...

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-04-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:06 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
Went to the dealer and got 2 of the correct bulbs. There is a physical difference between them and bulb from O'reilly was single filament. That is one thing I have learned with Lulu is stay away from O'reilly and other USA parts stores. So we will see what happens no if there is no more problems, don't feel like spending a bunch on a new tail light assembly.

Tom
'