R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Two-tone or full wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Absolutjh22
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two-tone or full wrap?

Hello all. I figure that since I just spent about $13,000 on a re-power I might as well keep going. With this being my thought process I figured I would get my Clubman a refreshed look too and ordered the pepper white JCW Aero kit from ECS Tuning.

I don't really love the Dark Silver color of my Clubman and always wanted a pepper white JCW. With the AERO kit on order I started thinking about my options...

1. wrap the kit in a matching dark silver metallic (prefer the white)
2. have the kit painted dark silver (kind of expensive, but easiest for sure)
3. two-tone the car; white bumpers and side skirts and then wrap the lower half of the car white (pretty much just the lower section of the side doors).
4. wrap the dark silver sections of the car white (pearl-white or matte-white, with white carbon fiber trim, and red highlights) and black out all the chrome.

Here is a mock-up I did with a photograph and some white out

no photoshop at work, so I did it old-school

Pearl White

available carbon fibre colors

Pearl white body, carbon white bonnet stripes with red accent striping is what I am considering...

Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
White wrap down low is a bad idea...it gets very dingy. Unless maybe it has a high gloss...would likely last longer.

There was a guy on here who did his whole R56 years back with white (though it was matte) and it didnt last long. (edit: Yep, VicSkimmer was his username)

I'd paint the kit Dark Silver. If you want to take it up a notch paint your arches and the rest of it as well!.

You could have the parts vinyl wrapped, though paint is still better. For example back when, I had Lyles Vinyl Styles wrap my chrome to match DS

Last edited by iwashmycar; 02-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:58 PM
chav
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
How much would it cost to wrap a clubman? When i bought my clubman last year the front bumper had been cheaply repainted and the rocks have eaten t alive leaving grey little marks.

I also love the British Racing Green by far my favorite color in a jcw mini (r56) in the f56 colors i really like the lighter grey for some reason the color as grown on me but anyway just my two cents. Keep us updated with what you decide!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:57 PM
Absolutjh22
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chav
How much would it cost to wrap a clubman? When i bought my clubman last year the front bumper had been cheaply repainted and the rocks have eaten t alive leaving grey little marks.

I also love the British Racing Green by far my favorite color in a jcw mini (r56) in the f56 colors i really like the lighter grey for some reason the color as grown on me but anyway just my two cents. Keep us updated with what you decide!
Most places will charge you based on materials used and labor. There are several levels of finish that can be done. Most places will opt to remove mirrors door handles, trim, etc. so that they can get a cleaner finish with fewer seams. Some will want to "edge seal" the vinyl so that the edges are less likely to lift. If you were to only wrap the bumpers, hood, and lower body panels, you'll likely be out of pocket about $1,000.00. The quality, and type, of materials that are used will play heavily into the equation. As will your location. I'm in Seattle where everything seems to be over-priced.

My best friend owns a sign shop so I will get the "materials only" cost for my wrap.

Most estimates that he gives for full wraps are about $1,500 - $3,000, depending on the vehicle and complexity of the installation. Some cars are more difficult to wrap than others.

Keep in mind that a vinyl wrap will not last as long as a paint job, but it is a great way to keep the original car as-is with the ability to go back to the original color.

The plastic fenders cannot be wrapped as the vinyl will not stay adhered for long.

I'll keep you posted as to what I choose to do.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Absolutjh22
2nd Gear
Costs...

Originally Posted by chav

Most places will charge you based on materials used and labor. There are several levels of finish that can be done. Most places will opt to remove mirrors door handles, trim, etc. so that they can get a cleaner finish with fewer seams. Some will want to "edge seal" the vinyl so that the edges are less likely to lift. If you were to only wrap the bumpers, hood, and lower body panels, you'll likely be out of pocket about $1,000.00. The quality, and type, of materials that are used will play heavily into the equation. As will your location. I'm in Seattle where everything seems to be over-priced.

My best friend owns a sign shop so I will get the "materials only" cost for my wrap.

Most estimates that he gives for full wraps are about $1,500 - $3,000, depending on the vehicle and complexity of the installation. Some cars are more difficult to wrap than others.

I'll keep you posted as to what I choose to do.