R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Not the death rattle, but something worse...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:34 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the death rattle, but something worse...

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums, but not my Mini

I've owned my 2012 Clubman S since early 2013 and might I say, what a magnificent car. But up until last year there has been an issue and the lovely folks at Mini can't resolve the problem. So that is why I am turning to you folks to see if we can some how fix my problem.

In March of 2015 I brought my Mini in to the dealer for a noise I knew wasn't normal. A low grinding/growling noise coming from the right side of the engine bay. Now, I am familiar with the "death rattle" but I wasn't jumping to conclusions. The "mechanics" at Mini said it was "your turbo shield rubbing against...something so we cut the corner it was rubbing on.".... wut? As soon as I turned the car on, I heard the noise and already agitated I drove off.

Fast forward to present day, the noise has increasingly gotten worse. To where I have had two Mini gear heads (one of them being a mechanic) say "that is not normal". So, I went about contacting Mini USA with hopes of getting a word back and I did! They told me to go to the dealer, again, and see what they can do. This time (prepare yourself) they told me "Yeah, that noise is not normal but we can't find the problem so there is nothing we can do."....WUT?!

Now, the car is still under extended warranty (2018/100K, which ever I hit first) and the mechanics (along with one of the gear heads) said it isn't the timing chain, rocker arms, etc. but "possibly something deeper in the motor".

This is nuts right? Now, I am tempted to take a brick and throw it on the gas and let the beast blow up but at the same time I know this isn't right. (or is it?) Has anyone experienced this problem before? Has anyone heard of this problem before?

What ever input you may have will genuinely be valid and would help towards resolving my problem.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Personally,
I would leave the car there until they get it fixed. They will give you a loaner, so enjoy it!

This is what you have a warranty for. If they can't get it fixed, take it to another dealer or have MINI tow it to another dealer at their expense.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
Maybe a JCW loaner?

What sucks is that I've brought up what we can do to fix the issue and they told me to let it die....literally.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like you need a new dealer.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:27 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Sounds like you need a new dealer.
Orlando, Mini. Don't ever go....

Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Some dealers just truly suck.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k_brady
Orlando, Mini. Don't ever go....
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Clubbie. Are you able to take a recording of the sound it is making? That would probably be the most helpful thing in getting someone to be able to hear the issue. Have you noticed anything different about how it drives? Worse gas mileage? Increased oil consumption? Surging or sputtering?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:50 AM
Bigfig
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe try a automotive stethoscope. Through trial and error and patience you can get a better idea of where it's coming from.. Just be careful with your hearing and don't let it get into moving part.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Camyman
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Clubbie. Are you able to take a recording of the sound it is making? That would probably be the most helpful thing in getting someone to be able to hear the issue. Have you noticed anything different about how it drives? Worse gas mileage? Increased oil consumption? Surging or sputtering?
After my recent trip to Mini I started taking note of some of those things. Just last week it started sputtering but after a while went away. My gas consumption seems to be normal and my oil isn't burning (Liqui Moly). As for the video of the noise, I am working on something grand today. I will be posting a link of it later today.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bigfig
Maybe try a automotive stethoscope. Through trial and error and patience you can get a better idea of where it's coming from.. Just be careful with your hearing and don't let it get into moving part.
I've never messed around with one of those before. I will defiantly go about learning more of how to use it before buying/renting one.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
MINI repair

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums, but not my Mini

I've owned my 2012 Clubman S since early 2013 and might I say, what a magnificent car. But up until last year there has been an issue and the lovely folks at Mini can't resolve the problem. So that is why I am turning to you folks to see if we can some how fix my problem.

In March of 2015 I brought my Mini in to the dealer for a noise I knew wasn't normal. A low grinding/growling noise coming from the right side of the engine bay. Now, I am familiar with the "death rattle" but I wasn't jumping to conclusions. The "mechanics" at Mini said it was "your turbo shield rubbing against...something so we cut the corner it was rubbing on.".... wut? As soon as I turned the car on, I heard the noise and already agitated I drove off.

Fast forward to present day, the noise has increasingly gotten worse. To where I have had two Mini gear heads (one of them being a mechanic) say "that is not normal". So, I went about contacting Mini USA with hopes of getting a word back and I did! They told me to go to the dealer, again, and see what they can do. This time (prepare yourself) they told me "Yeah, that noise is not normal but we can't find the problem so there is nothing we can do."....WUT?!

Now, the car is still under extended warranty (2018/100K, which ever I hit first) and the mechanics (along with one of the gear heads) said it isn't the timing chain, rocker arms, etc. but "possibly something deeper in the motor".

This is nuts right? Now, I am tempted to take a brick and throw it on the gas and let the beast blow up but at the same time I know this isn't right. (or is it?) Has anyone experienced this problem before? Has anyone heard of this problem before?

What ever input you may have will genuinely be valid and would help towards resolving my problem.
Hard to diagnose from afar, but:

- does the noise change with rpm?

- is the noise audible at all times?

- does the noise change when the car is cold / hot?

- is this an auto or manual trans?

- if manual, does the noise change when clutch is depressed?

Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Hard to diagnose from afar, but:

Yes, when the car is brought up to 1200-1500 RPM is when you hear the noise

Yes, not only by me but also Mini technicians

When the car is cold there is a slightly different noise at times. But once the car has been running, and brought up to operating temperatures, you can hear it.

Manual 6-Speed

Yes, when you are rolling off into first gear you can hear the noise as well.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:20 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Hello everyone. I'm just following up on my post. About 2-3 years ago there was a re-call for the hydraulic tensioner for Mini's. Does anyone know if this recall was also for the R55 and if so, has anyone gotten theirs replaced?

Old 06-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm just following up on my post. About 2-3 years ago there was a re-call for the hydraulic tensioner for Mini's. Does anyone know if this recall was also for the R55 and if so, has anyone gotten theirs replaced?
Send me a PM with your VIN and I will see if your car was under that. I work for a MINI dealer. Just the last 7.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Recall

Yes, it included the R55.

The affected models include the following models with the N14 engine produced from 11/2006 to 05/2009:
2008-2010 R55 Mini Cooper S Clubman
2007-2010 R56 Mini Cooper S Hardtop
2009-2010 R57 MINI Cooper S Convertible

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper_Cold_Start_Rattle

http://www.forthepeople.com/class-ac...chain-lawsuit/

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:49 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
What sucks is that I've brought up what we can do to fix the issue and they told me to let it die....literally.
While those guys sound like real pieces of work, there is a motivating factor — the techs don't get paid by BMW for the time they spend diagnosing a problem, only for the time spent fixing it. If a tech spends an entire day on a problem he can't figure out, he literally does not get paid that day.

But once that engine grenades, all the work is on the clock, paid for by BMW. They are fixing a problem.

(Sort of--I simplified. They get paid "book rate", which is the number of hours BMW says it should take to do the work. Sometimes a tech can work faster, sometimes they lose time dealing with rusted old fasteners that the BMW tech writers didn't have to deal with on their brand new car. Source: buddy who spent about four years wrenching for an Audi/Volkswagen dealer.)

So, yeah, Orlando MINI sound like *******s. But it's not gratuitous. Merely nasty and shitty.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:55 AM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
While those guys sound like real pieces of work, there is a motivating factor — the techs don't get paid by BMW for the time they spend diagnosing a problem, only for the time spent fixing it. If a tech spends an entire day on a problem he can't figure out, he literally does not get paid that day.

But once that engine grenades, all the work is on the clock, paid for by BMW. They are fixing a problem.

(Sort of--I simplified. They get paid "book rate", which is the number of hours BMW says it should take to do the work. Sometimes a tech can work faster, sometimes they lose time dealing with rusted old fasteners that the BMW tech writers didn't have to deal with on their brand new car. Source: buddy who spent about four years wrenching for an Audi/Volkswagen dealer.)

So, yeah, Orlando MINI sound like *******s. But it's not gratuitous. Merely nasty and shitty.

It's truly terrible to a brand that has a unique heritage and following. I feel BMW buying the brand was smart but they are trying way too hard to make it BMW. It's not. This problem I am having is pushing me away from car every day. It's a shame that a quality brand wants to neglect a problem that is potential harm at any given point to me on the road and those around me on the road.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Honeybadgers
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW are famously mean with regards to customer service. Just ask E36 3 series owners whose struts tore straight through the towers (extremely numerous, no recall) or basically every z3 owner out there who's had the silly single sided differential mount start to crack and then tear out the trunk floor (no recall, up to 10k fix)

Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Honeybadgers
BMW are famously mean with regards to customer service. Just ask E36 3 series owners whose struts tore straight through the towers (extremely numerous, no recall) or basically every z3 owner out there who's had the silly single sided differential mount start to crack and then tear out the trunk floor (no recall, up to 10k fix)
Dang, wasn't familiar with that Z problem but the 3 series issue is something I've seen friends get hit by. I love the classic e30's. Simple motoring, no computers, a lot of fun. Now they have more computers than a NASA shuttle.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Did you fix your issue with the noise? Can you post a youtube vid or audio link of the noise? The N18 engines dont suffer from the chain tensioner issue, to my knowledge. I'm curious to know what that noise is about.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:02 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Hello everyone and sorry for my disappearance. Below is a link to a video with the noise coming from my engine. This matter has been brought to MINI before (as stated above) and nothing has been done.

The car is still under warranty and I'd really like to get this problem tended to. For your amusement, enjoy this 40 sec clip.

NOTE: The car has been brought up to normal operating temperatures before being started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdZk...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Hello everyone and sorry for my disappearance. Below is a link to a video with the noise coming from my engine. This matter has been brought to MINI before (as stated above) and nothing has been done.

The car is still under warranty and I'd really like to get this problem tended to. For your amusement, enjoy this 40 sec clip.

NOTE: The car has been brought up to normal operating temperatures before being started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdZk...ature=youtu.be

The noise reminds me of lower end bearings...you can also inspect the cams by taking the valve cover amd see what is there.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Go to a different dealer?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
The noise reminds me of lower end bearings...you can also inspect the cams by taking the valve cover amd see what is there.
Cams were looked at when the noise first came about and that checked out okay. They suspect it is something deeper...

Old 01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
k_brady
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Go to a different dealer?
Would love to take it to the dealer i bought it from in SC but I haven't had the time to take it up there. The next closest dealer is Daytona, FL and they are new. Maybe the new kids on the block could fix it? I hope so.

Quick Reply: R55 Not the death rattle, but something worse...