R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Power window ghost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:45 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power window ghost?

I just got my R55 a few weeks ago, so I'm not familiar with how they function just yet. But I'm pretty sure mine did something abnormal.
When I first picked up the car and was messing with all of the gadgets, one thing I remembered is that the windows didn't have a one-touch open and close feature. I thought it was odd that a car this new, and full of features, didn't have one-touch.
Then I learn about NSC Expert, and decide that I'm going to do a little bit of my own customizing.
All I did was read the ECU with NSC, I never altered of changed any code yet, and out of the blue I have one-touch open and close on my windows now.
Strange.
Fast forward a couple nights and I get to my girlfriends house and park the car outside like always. Windows were up when I parked it. 100% positive.
I leave the next morning and both windows are down when I get to the car. Doors are locked, windows are down.

?????

Old 04-06-2014, 03:12 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my wife's Clubman she has comfort access and if she hits a button on her remote she can put the windows down and open the sunroof - maybe you accidentally hit that button on your remote without knowing it?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
On my wife's Clubman she has comfort access and if she hits a button on her remote she can put the windows down and open the sunroof - maybe you accidentally hit that button on your remote without knowing it?
Well, if I hold the unlock button it will roll both windows down and unlock the doors. But the doors were still locked and I don't have the auto-lock feature turned on. At least I didn't. I'll check that and see if it's on now for some reason.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess was a shot in the dark - but that's the best I could come up with.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM
JimW
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is some weird coding in the clubman. For example, there is some sequence of opening the barn doors and unlocking the car that results in the reading lights turning on and staying on after the car started. I think the window opening might be another strange code that includes some sequence. This happened to me once, but I was never able to replicate.

Since these cars are basically run by computers and can be programed to do all sorts of things. The options we have are related to what it is programed to do when we do take specific actions.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
@hidperf
Are you talking about flicking the window switch on the dash once and having the windows go either up or down without holding?
If so, they all do that, but, if you hold it even a little bit after say like one second, it becomes a up or down till let go option.
I found it a bit confusing at first also.
But now I can lower the driver window just the correct amount I like by doing the hold till ready and then let go.
The wife still has a bit of trouble getting them to stop on her R56S.
So she just does the full up or down flick thing and she's happy happy happy!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:57 PM
hidperf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
@hidperf
Are you talking about flicking the window switch on the dash once and having the windows go either up or down without holding?
If so, they all do that, but, if you hold it even a little bit after say like one second, it becomes a up or down till let go option.
I found it a bit confusing at first also.
But now I can lower the driver window just the correct amount I like by doing the hold till ready and then let go.
The wife still has a bit of trouble getting them to stop on her R56S.
So she just does the full up or down flick thing and she's happy happy happy!
Well, kind of. When I first bought the car, just flicking the switch resulted in the window just moving a short distance. No full down or up.
Holding the switch moved the windows until you released it.
So it never did the auto down/up feature.
After I read the ecu with NSC expert, the flick of the switch would result in full auto down/up.

What concerns me most is both windows going down, without any action by me, well after the car was turned off.
Luckily nothing was stolen, no critters got in the car, and it didn't rain. But I park in an open lot at work all day. This could have been a real problem.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The windows do funky things at times. A few years back my window would come down 1/2" when I opened the door and didn't put it back up when the door is closed. I took it to the dealership and they refreshed the program which solved the problem. Recently, after turning off the engine, I did the one-touch up on the passenger window when it was half way up I did the one-touch up on the drivers side. As soon as the dirver's window started up the passenger window switched directions and went down. I just chuckled at Oscar's sometimes unpredictable personality.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
illbegotten
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had some weird window activity on ours right off the dealers lot. When we put the window up it would go up but then drop down about a fourth the way. It took a lot of skill with the switch to get it to stay up. When I called the dealer they told me how to fix it. I don't remember exactly what it was, but there was a certain thing you had to do with the switch and it would reset the window. Some sort of sequence of pressing the switch and it ended with holding it down for 5 seconds or something. It worked and we haven't had a problem since.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Danielng0811
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I got similar problem. I had my rear brake pad changed a few weeks ago. Mini upgraded the ECU at the same time (without asked me in advance). I have been using my clubman everyday since then. Yesterday afternoon, I started it and found not smooth startup of the engine. I drove to the nearby park for running. After 30 minutes, I tried started the car. All battery drained and called road side service for a jump start. Having waited for one hours, I had it jump started. During waiting for jump start, the dash board flicked abnormally. Today, I found the driver side windows LOST ONE TOUCH UP function. I suspect that Mini Cooper has software bugs in this latest update. I will try unplug the battery for a whole day to reset the ECU to see if it will come to normal.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Danielng0811
I got similar problem. I had my rear brake pad changed a few weeks ago. Mini upgraded the ECU at the same time (without asked me in advance). I have been using my clubman everyday since then. Yesterday afternoon, I started it and found not smooth startup of the engine. I drove to the nearby park for running. After 30 minutes, I tried started the car. All battery drained and called road side service for a jump start. Having waited for one hours, I had it jump started. During waiting for jump start, the dash board flicked abnormally. Today, I found the driver side windows LOST ONE TOUCH UP function. I suspect that Mini Cooper has software bugs in this latest update. I will try unplug the battery for a whole day to reset the ECU to see if it will come to normal.
Mine was also recently in the shop and reprogrammed. I also lost one touch up function. I thought it might have been my fault because I did unhook the battery to do some wiring the day after I got it back. Now that you're saying you had the same thing I think it was something with the coding and not my fault. The one touch function started working again after 2 days of normal use / driving all on its' own. I was going to disconnect the battery to see if that would reset it but never got that far because it fixed itself...