R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 2010 JCW Clubman - what options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Sus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 JCW Clubman - what options?

What options would you order for the JCW Mini Clubman and why? I'm in the planning stage for my first mini, downsizing from an SUV.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
PRinTX
2nd Gear
I would go with No sunroof, chrome line interior, R109 wheels, HID, Auto A/C, and maybe the JCW bodykit. And the color of my choice would be PW/PW

Old 04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Sus
1st Gear
Why no sunroof PRinTX?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
MINIchaser
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditto to the no sunroof! I just like myself a little more closed off I guess, plus the sunroof screens still let a bunch of light in when they're closed. I hardly ever use my sunroof fully (except in the vent position), and it's an expensive option which adds more weight so next time I'd pass on the sunroof. But really, it's personal preference, as so many things are these days.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
PRinTX
2nd Gear
I think that the SR plus the runflats make the ride too loud. I rarely use the SR, and the hardtop I believe makes the car stiffer. On a car magazine back when the Gen 1 came out they were deleting the SR and placing a Carbon fiber cover to save weight.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS
2nd Gear
We went for the following options. No sunroof because my Cooper S's sunroof is very loud when it is open and we wanted to reduce the weight also. We also wanted to do our own suspension so we ordered the stock suspension instead of sport s or JCW S.

Here's what we ordered:
Convenience Package
Zenon Headlights
Harmon Kardon
Rear Fog Light
Center Armrest
Roof Rails & Mini Roof Rack with Yakima Rocket Box Pod

Mods:
Eibach ProKit Mega MINI Lowering Springs
Eiback 19mm Sway Bar
Koni FSD's
M7 Heat Shield
H Sport Adjustable Camber Links
Window Tint 18% Rear Windows and Front Windshield & 40% Front Windows
Custom Mellow Yellow Sport Stripe

Last edited by Luv325Ci-MiniCoopS; 04-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Sus
1st Gear
Luv the pictures Luv325ci.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
I went with the sunroof option as it adds VALUE to the car and is a popular option, good for resale, because it took me a long time to sell my previous (non-SR) Cooper S JCW. Plus I like using it on nice days . Rattling sunroofs (some rattles but not a lot) were the norm in previous iterations of the MINI, however the quality/design (I'm just referring to the sunroof here) seems to have improved with time. No problems whatsoever with my Clubman. Here is my option list:

Horizon Blue paint
Silver roof and mirror caps
Silver C-pillars
Hot Chocolate cloth/leather
Silver dash (good for masking any fingerprints or dust even though I swiffer my interior frequently)
Black door panels
Cream White color line (don't like it)
Premium Package
- Sunroof (see comment above)
- MFSW (standard on all MINIs now I think)
- Auto A/C (good, but not necessary)
Cold Weather Package (all excellent)
- Heated seats
- Heated powerfolding mirrors
- Heated nozzle jets
Xenon headlights (love them *two thumbs up*)
White turn signal lamps (must have with certain colors IMHO)

I added the full set of rubber mats and front clear bra at the dealer prior to delivery. MUST HAVES on any MINI, if you ask me.

If I did it all over again, I would add Comfort Access (I really should have gotten this option) and probably rear fog lamp just to fill the space. Initially, I wanted the factory roof rails but in the end chose not to get this option. Instead, will be doing the dealer-installed roof rack at some point *thumbs up*.

I considered the Sport Suspension, but decided like most other owners that I would do Eibachs or some other aftermarket springs/shocks. I drove Clubmans with and without the SS option and I couldn't tell much, if any, difference.

Tinting is definitely something I will probably do as the car, like pretty much all MINIs, gets very hot inside unless you live in Alaska or somewhere in the Snow Belt.

Last edited by minicoopermike; 04-23-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
-I'd also vote for no sunroof. I've had mine in for adjustments, ect. 5 times and need to get it fixed again. It's loud and rattles a lot.

-Cold weather pack is amazing. I use it every morning.
-Xenon lights. They look great and the light is perfect to me.
-Try out all the different seats before you buy. Keep in mind the cloth and leatherette will likely wear better, but have no lumbar support.
-Bluetooth works well if you use the phone in the car.
-The HK speakers I think are worth it, unless you don't care remotely about sound.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Sus
1st Gear
Wonderful suggestions. I'm concerned about the sunroof which I anticipated ordering since I live in a sunny state. Silver dash lessening fingerprints makes a lot of sense and I never thought about the lack of lumbar support in the cloth or leatherette seats.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
No sunroof= more rigid body(think sheer panel in building terms)
Leather w/cloth upholstery if you need lumbar support
Roof Rails= ability to carry more on trips
For me I think that would be it.
Personal Opinion: I would want it to be a drivers' car more than a place to relax.
Personal Rant:
If less people talked on their phones while driving, and paid attention to the road instead of their "boom-box stereos" there may be fewer accidents.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sus
Wonderful suggestions. I'm concerned about the sunroof which I anticipated ordering since I live in a sunny state. Silver dash lessening fingerprints makes a lot of sense and I never thought about the lack of lumbar support in the cloth or leatherette seats.
The sunroof also has inadequate shades, so here in Southern California for example, when the sun is directly overhead it gets really hot and bright.

I have the Piano Black dash and it shows a lot of fingerprints. Looks great when it's clean though!

You can add the lumbar support yourself if you're feeling like a little project. Parts for both front seats are about $250.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
If you are contemplating the roof rails, I would get them now, because it's a real p.i.t.a. and not cost effective to add them at a later date.

In terms of the sunroof, the shade is useless that comes on the vehicle, but you could always get it tinted or buy the zipee shades later on.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:18 PM
needcaffeine
1st Gear
I went with all packages.
[I would've have preferred leather, but my old car was at nearly 60k miles & I wanted a good trade-in so got leatherette instead. ]
Xenon lamps - never going back to halogen (if I have a choice)
Probably would've chosen the Navigation system, for a larger display(even though I'd still use my garman for Nav)
Possibly sport suspension, but dealer didn't have any in stock to try, so I went w/ the default

Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Sus
1st Gear
Thanks Surfink, Thevelourfrog, Kimbo80 & needcaffeine. It's great to get the pros & cons of you "experts."