R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Mini Do More hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
austex
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taysan
I ordered my hitch last night - big sale on - $50 off the now lowered price of $190, so you're paying $140 + shipping for the hitch. Too good a deal to pass up!

Don't I feel special for having paid $325....

Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 AM
ediebucket
Neutral
Problems with brake lights on teardrop

We have a 2009 clubman S and a mini do more hitch to tow our tear drop trailer. We paid 500.00! to have the lights hooked up to the trailer. (7 pin hitch). All the lights work but the brake lights fail after a few minutes. The mini computer says bulb error. The people who installed the wiring want another 500.00 to fix it claiming it's very complicated. Are we getting hosed? or is there a simpler, cheaper solution? We can't enjoy our teardrop till the brake lights work...

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Who's doing the work? $500 seems very very very high for what should be a simple job. Anyone who charges you $500 to do a job, and then wants another $500 to fix the job is hosing you. Whether $5 or $500, you paid to have a job done.

Run as fast as you can from whoever did the work and chalk the $500 up to a learning experience.

I'm sure there's a member on the board in your area that has had this done somewhere - take the car to a place that installs trailer hitches.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my trailer (only 4 wires though)

The problem was not the install on the Clubby, but the trailer itself. In one of the brake lights, 2 wires were not at the "right" place. Took the installers 10 minutes to fix.

Did you try your teardrop with another car, to make sure it works ok? Or have it tested?

Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 AM
ediebucket
Neutral
We did take it to a big RV place here on Cape Cod. When they said how much more it would cost to make it work (500 at least in hours) I asked if I could have the first 500 back for the job that didn't work. They said Ok but that they would take out all the stuff they put in which DID make the turn lights and runner lights work, which was at least something!! WQe have hooked it up to my husbands truck (4point) and the brake lights work. We think if we adapt the 7 point to a 4 point it would be fine. The teardrop came with a 7 point. Thank you so much for the quick replies

Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 AM
ediebucket
Neutral
Actually the husbands truck is also a 7 point. He says the difference is that his truck doesn't have a sophisticated complicated computer in it as the Mini cooper does.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:25 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
I'd get the $500 back if it were me. You could probably get the folks at BMW to do it for less.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ediebucket
We have a 2009 clubman S and a mini do more hitch to tow our tear drop trailer. We paid 500.00! to have the lights hooked up to the trailer. (7 pin hitch). All the lights work but the brake lights fail after a few minutes. The mini computer says bulb error. The people who installed the wiring want another 500.00 to fix it claiming it's very complicated. Are we getting hosed? or is there a simpler, cheaper solution? We can't enjoy our teardrop till the brake lights work...
If the MINI computer is saying bulb error then I would guess they hooked the lights up by taping into the mini leads directly so your MINI is powering the lights of the trailer. From what I have heard this is not the way to go. I installed a powered adaptor based on the instructions you will find earler in this port.(cost about $35 and took less that an hour to hookup now my trailer is just 4 pin) and it works great. The powered adaptor takes power for the battery and used the MINI leads for signal only so your MINI does not know there are extra lights. If they hooked your lights directly to the MINI it now will sence a problem with the current going to its circuts and probbaly shut stuff down(which I guess it what you have happening.)

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 AM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Yes the mini adaptor sold by brent at mini do more is easy to install, takes about 45 minutes (longer with a couple beers) and WORKS. I pull a little aluminum utility trailer.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:02 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
What's the max # of bikes you guys feel comfortable hauling in one of these hitch racks. Would 4 road bikes @ 20lbs a piece be too much strain on the hitch?

I'm being a nervous nellie but I'd hate to see someone's $10k Colnago scraped all over the highway...

Old 11-16-2009, 07:13 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've carried 2 lemonds several times and didn't notice it. i'd say if you're worried get a better rack. i just got a cheapy as i'm not going to far with it. but even at 100lbs i don't think there's anything to worry about. i'd be more nervous about making sure they don't swing into the bumper. make sure you put them on carefully to avoid that.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jrcsh6
i've carried 2 lemonds several times and didn't notice it. i'd say if you're worried get a better rack. i just got a cheapy as i'm not going to far with it. but even at 100lbs i don't think there's anything to worry about. i'd be more nervous about making sure they don't swing into the bumper. make sure you put them on carefully to avoid that.
So the Thule/Yakima vs an Ebay $40 cheapie then...

Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it just depends on your comfort. i got the cheapie. the thule or yakima are clearly better but there isn't a lot to the metal rack. the thing you have to be mindful of is how the bike attaches. i reinforce it each time i use it with tape and straps. i'm sure the expensive one are much better.

so in a nut shell you either spend the $ and have peace of mind or you get the cheapie and have to rig it up a bit. either way you'll be fine.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
The Saris Thelma Racks Rock....

http://www.saris.com/p-298-thelma.aspx

They're very strong extremely compact and light weight, keep your bikes from rubbing and are the easiest loading/unloading rack I've ever come across.

Just my 2 Mini Cents

Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 PM
pete v
1st Gear
Finally found the time to install the MiniDoMore on Fubbsy. Took just over two hours and the hitch went on without a hitch.

Only one problem both screw heads in the rear wheel wells were stripped when I checked the. Dremeled off the edges of the heads leaving the center to slip through the wheel well holes.

Fubbsy's bare bottom:

Bikes loaded:

Name:  aarear.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  aarrear.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  116.0 KB

Old 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
jlloyd
2nd Gear
cheap trailer idea

I think my idea needs a little 'tweaking'. At higher speeds (70-80mph) it starts getting a little twitchy. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

Attached Thumbnails Mini Do More hitch install-cheap-trailer-1.jpg   Mini Do More hitch install-cheap-trailer-2.jpg  
Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jlloyd
I think my idea needs a little 'tweaking'. At higher speeds (70-80mph) it starts getting a little twitchy. Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?
You need to weigh it down with a couple of your neighbor's kids.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Looks nice! Is that BRG? Same as mine - wondering if your windows are tinted and if so to what %? I'm thinking about doing mine, but wasn't sure how it would look with the silver roof. I like yours.

Originally Posted by pete v
Finally found the time to install the MiniDoMore on Fubbsy. Took just over two hours and the hitch went on without a hitch.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:48 PM
pete v
1st Gear
Looks nice! Is that BRG? Same as mine - wondering if your windows are tinted and if so to what %? I'm thinking about doing mine, but wasn't sure how it would look with the silver roof. I like yours.
TAYSAN:
Sales receipt says:
35% on rear windows & doors
50% on front doors & sunroofs.

I did the lightest available tint on the front doors/sunroof for good visibility and the next darker on the rear windows for some privacy - but not total blackout.

No matter what percentage tint you have applied it will all screen out the same amount of UV/heat according to the installer.
HTH,

Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Xeraux
4th Gear
Just a heads up on the wiring package instructions.

On my 2010 Clubman S, we followed the provided instructions to the letter and unbeknownst to me, while all the lights work, it locked up my drivers-side rear barn door.

It's now cost me US$500.00+ to get the dealership to get the door opened.

Before you install the wiring package, make sure you know which wires to tap into regardless of what Mini Do More's instructions say.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Brent@minidomore.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Xeraux
Just a heads up on the wiring package instructions.

On my 2010 Clubman S, we followed the provided instructions to the letter and unbeknownst to me, while all the lights work, it locked up my drivers-side rear barn door.

It's now cost me US$500.00+ to get the dealership to get the door opened.

Before you install the wiring package, make sure you know which wires to tap into regardless of what Mini Do More's instructions say.
Xeraux

I am very surprised that you had a problem with the install. We have seent this once or twice but it has been due to taping the incorrect wire for the signal to the Modulite unit. Did you perform the install or did someone else?

We would really appreciate it if you would contact us directly with your problem and gave us an opportunity to work with you to correct the issue and identify the problem before you place a post like this on a public forum. If you look and ask around I think you will find that Mini Do More has a reputation for working with our customers issues directly and quickly.

What is your name and under what name did you order the wiring harness?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Arthur
1st Gear
Any interest in the Philadelphia area to do a group install? We'll help each other. Always nice to have someone else, especially with mechanical common sense, on hand for moral support.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
TheMadDane
3rd Gear
I had the same problem with the Wiring! I followed the instructions to the T.

Maybe different wiring for the 2009+?

The wire they have mentioned "Locked" my back door, I don't remember which one I ended up tapping into but it was NOT the one they described ( I think blue?).

Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pete v

Only one problem both screw heads in the rear wheel wells were stripped when I checked the. Dremeled off the edges of the heads leaving the center to slip through the wheel well holes.

Fubbsy's bare bottom:

Bikes loaded:

What bike rack is that?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Arthur
1st Gear
A word of caution...wish I had seen the recent postings in the Coupe Talk forum re MiniDoMore being nonresponsive to calls and e-mails. I purchased the tow hitch online 4 days ago, sent Brent an e-mail yesterday and just left him a voicemail. I might just be a bit impatient and not giving Brent sufficient time to respond but I am getting the sinking feeling.

Quick Reply: R55 Mini Do More hitch install