R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 mud flaps on clubman

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hfs3
Gee, I ordered mine with the mudflaps ($145? on the configurator) and when I picked Zim up they were all installed. No extra charge, nothing... I've seen them for way less on other ecommerce sites, but of course you've got to install them yourself. Guess my MA was being good to me?
Yep, you lucked out!!

That is a dealer installed option, just like driving lights, etc. If they didn't charge you labor, you are a lucky duck.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are the rear flaps so expensive ($100)?? The rears are 4x the price of the fronts ($25)! BTW, Morristown Mini gives you a little bit of a discount - of course there are shipping charges but if you buy other stuff + there shouldn't be tax if you are out of state, you may see a slight discount...

Digi, thanks much for the link to the instructions!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kechman8
Why are the rear flaps so expensive ($100)?? The rears are 4x the price of the fronts ($25)! BTW, Morristown Mini gives you a little bit of a discount - of course there are shipping charges but if you buy other stuff + there shouldn't be tax if you are out of state, you may see a slight discount...

Digi, thanks much for the link to the instructions!
Possibly because the rears on Clubmen aren't the same as the other MINI rears so production volumes are far lower?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:33 AM
austex
2nd Gear
Except, no listing for Clubman rear mudflaps on this site, nor explicit instructions in the pdf for Clubbie rears.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
digi0123
3rd Gear
I'm guessing the rear for the clubbie would follow suit as the Cooper S...the easiest way would be to ask your MA to swing you a PDF from the dealership group, just a print out. I'm thinking they would be the same, you could just print them out from the link I tossed up and compare. It would be "smart" for mini to make the splash gaurds the same to save money on their part.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
I'm going to call my MA in the morning and get an estimate for mud flap installation. From replies on this forum, it looks like labor charges varies widely from dealer to dealer , from free installation (!) to several hundreds! Curious to see what my MA says....

Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by digi0123
I'm guessing the rear for the clubbie would follow suit as the Cooper S...the easiest way would be to ask your MA to swing you a PDF from the dealership group, just a print out. I'm thinking they would be the same, you could just print them out from the link I tossed up and compare. It would be "smart" for mini to make the splash gaurds the same to save money on their part.
The Clubman Rear is a slightly different shape so the mud flaps from a coupe do not fit. I checked it out while i was at the dealer last week ordering mine.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
I'm going to call my MA in the morning and get an estimate for mud flap installation. From replies on this forum, it looks like labor charges varies widely from dealer to dealer , from free installation (!) to several hundreds! Curious to see what my MA says....
Be sure to report back!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
Be sure to report back!
OK - finally got an estimate from my MA for mudflaps for the Clubbie... $285 for front and back, installed. So, since full MSRP is $125.50, labor is $159.50. What do you folks think? Kinda a lot for labor, huh?

BTW, I also asked for a quote for checkered mirrors - $212, installed. I will DEFINITELY buy that part and give that a shot myself, referring to the DIY guide on this site.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dlpruk
Possibly because the rears on Clubmen aren't the same as the other MINI rears so production volumes are far lower?
Yeah, you are probably right, but $100 for two pieces of rubber????

Old 08-16-2008, 08:54 AM
digi0123
3rd Gear
Northwestmini quoted me $300 installed for the flaps, sounds like it's right on target..figure $75/hr labor....highway robbery if you ask me.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Yes, I've decided to buy the flaps and mirrors and take my chances with installing them myself, even though I usually am not the DIY type.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
I'm having mud flaps installed on my new Clubman S - is only $199 installed from MINI of the Hamptons in NY. Not sure if that's a special deal from including as part of the initial order or not?

Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wearlaz
I'm having mud flaps installed on my new Clubman S - is only $199 installed from MINI of the Hamptons in NY. Not sure if that's a special deal from including as part of the initial order or not?
199 is reasonable. Always best to negotiate that up front. wish I had the foresight to have done that. oh well I guess Ill have to install them myself.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:15 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
I'd get it done for $199. That is a good price.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
So, since full MSRP is $125.50, labor is $159.50. What do you folks think? Kinda a lot for labor, huh?
At San Francisco Bay Area MINI dealers, that would be the charge for 1 hour of labor ($160/hr is the going rate).

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 AM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
At San Francisco Bay Area MINI dealers, that would be the charge for 1 hour of labor ($160/hr is the going rate).
Wow, I didn't realize that labor rates were so high, but now that I think of it, you are right. However, I'd rather pay those kinds of labor rates for work under the hood rather than for putting something like mud flaps or mirrors on. So, from the dealer's perspective this is reasonable but this just reinforces why I should just install the flaps myself.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I just installed my rear mudflaps and they seem very sturdy on the vehicle, just as sturdy as the front ones.

I did have aproblem with one of them connceting to the body bracket though and had to move the heat sheild out of the way to ge tmy hand up in behind the wheel well to hold the body bracket and push the inner fender well over to have the screw go into the body bracket properly. IF this is not connected properly then the mudflap is very loose and very unstable. It probably will not fall off but would move much more readliy form slight pressure of your hand on it.

Unfortunately i did not take pictures while doing the install so i do not have anyhting to share on how to make i t easier to put the rears on.

I do have the MINI directions and will get them posted tomorrow.

BTW my SA told me that they could do the rears and it would be 1/2 hour of labor but that they charge a minimum of 1 hour at the dealership so that unfotunately it would cost me $128 to have them installed.

I did it my slef in about 1/2 hour. I did the fronts in about 15 minutes.

Last edited by schatzy62; 08-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Hey Schatzy do you consider yourself as mechanically inclined or not? I read the instructions and would be concerned with my ability to install the mud flaps myself.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Mud Flaps on a Clubman. This was parody, right?

What's next, a tail fin on a Pinto?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:33 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I just installed my rear mudflaps and they seem very sturdy on the vehicle, just as sturdy as the front ones.

I did have aproblem with one of them connceting to the body bracket though and had to move the heat sheild out of the way to ge tmy hand up in behind the wheel well to hold the body bracket and push the inner fender well over to have the screw go into the body bracket properly. IF this is not connected properly then the mudflap is very loose and very unstable. It probably will not fall off but would move much more readliy form slight pressure of your hand on it.

Unfortunately i did not take pictures while doing the install so i do not have anyhting to share on how to make i t easier to put the rears on.

I do have the MINI directions and will get them posted tomorrow.

BTW my SA told me that they could do the rears and it would be 1/2 hour of labor but that they charge a minimum of 1 hour at the dealership so that unfotunately it would cost me $128 to have them installed.

I did it my slef in about 1/2 hour. I did the fronts in about 15 minutes.
Schatzy - what's the 'aggravation level' in installing the rear mud flaps? And I would also like to know whether you consider yourself a DIY'er ie. handy or not. Lastly, when you refer to the manual, are you talking about the instructions for the R56 mud flaps? If so, how much did the clubman installation deviate from that? Thanks!

Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 PM
cloud10
4th Gear
When I picked up my Clubby in February I also picked up the mudflaps.

I had a foreign car place in my town put them on. It was a first for them and the owner of the place did it for me. He quoted me $80 for the install and even though it took longer than he expected for the rears he stood by his quote.
I also had him install my grill badges. He didn't like the way the rear flaps seemed loose and he put an extra attachment on them.

You might consider a foreign car repair place nearby, too. The dealerships cost way too much for a simple install.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 AM
thulewx
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
Mud Flaps on a Clubman. This was parody, right?

What's next, a tail fin on a Pinto?

They really work well - since I put mine on, it's a drastic difference in how much crud & mud gets on the car. When you live down a 1/2 mile dirt/clay road, you need all the help you can get..

Old 08-18-2008, 04:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
For those people asking, I would consider my self mechanically inclined and a DIY'er. I have built additions to my house and have done a few custom kitchens and also worked on cars, commercial air conditioners/heating systems, etc. But anyone who can use a screw driver should be able to do the mud flap install.

Here are the directions I promised.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rmudflaps2.pdf

Please note that these directions are direct from MINI and i must way that they need to be read over a few times before doing the job, They are not perfect.

If you do feel uncomfortable doing this yourself then any body shop should be able to do it for you and not charge the high price of that many dealers will.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Joep
6th Gear
Thanks Schatzy....

Quick Reply: R55 mud flaps on clubman