R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 CD Changer In Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 PM
RascalQueen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Changer In Convertible

I just installed a Blitzsafe iPod Interface in my MCS Convertible and because I found very little info to help me online I figured I'd post some photos and comments for others.

First off, though, the photos loaded backward in my gallery so you'll have to start here and work back: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...4&ppuser=24496

I picked up the Blitzsafe M-Link 1 V1 because it was $100 and handy - they had it at my local BestBuy so I could install it before the drive out to MTTS next week. The M-Link 1 charges the iPod and allows you to listen to your iPod through the car speakers and adjust volume however it does not display song title on the stereo head unit. I've heard the M-Link 2 will and the ICE-Link is all the rage, but it's twice as much and I couldn't find it in a local store.

About the install. The hardest part was getting access to the CD changer plugs. Everything I read said just remove the panel in the boot and there ya go, but a nice fella posted a note here on NAM (but I can't find the post now) with a pic indicating that there IS no panel to just pop off. You have to remove the black screw and what looks like a washer from the passenger side boot panel. A little tip - don't remove the screw all the way - it's not necessary. And that's not a washer - it's one of those expando screw things - you'll have to get a little tough with it and pull it out.

Then you can either remove the other screws that hold that boot wall panel in or do like I did and just lay the seats forward and pry the panel out and bend it back. The photos in my gallery display how it looks opened up. I considered not being quite so rough, but after looking at the situation decided that even pulling all the screws out would mean a lot of manhandling that panel. And as it turned out I was careful enough that it all went back together nicely with only a very minor crease near the top.

Once I had the panel out I had a heck of a time finding the CD changer plugs. The nice fella who left the tip above also mentioned they'd be near the floor of the boot. Mine actually ended up hidden up under the seatbelt retractor wrapped in white masking tape. So, moral of the story - don't give up. If they're not obvious keep looking and feeling around - they'll show up.

After that it was easy peasy. Pluged the CD cables into the Blitzsafe box, plugged one Blitzsafe cable into the other side of the box and attached the iPod cable to that, then the iPod - turned on the car, changed the radio mode and I was VERY happy with the result!

Putting it all back together - I had to fiddle a bit to decide where I wanted the Blitzsafe box. I considered taking the circuit board out of it's box to make it smaller and tuck it in a little nook, but opted instead to find a place below the seatbelt retractor where it could fit in with the foam down there. It took a little fiddling to get it to fit without causing a buldge into the boot, but eventually I found the right placement.

I then opted not to tear everything out of the car to hide all the wires, but it still looks pretty darn good. I've only got about 2 inches in the boot before it slips in along the side of the back seat, then it's tucked in under the door panel and exposes about half an inch before popping under the rear floor mat. I bundled the excess cable under the passenger seat then bring it out under the seat and over along the side to sit under the e-brake with enough extra cable to make it easy to pick up and adjust. There's more cable there than I like, but I'll find a way to adjust it later.

~L'aura