R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Junk in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junk in the trunk?

Hey everyone,

It's been really hot in N. Cal (like it hasn't anywhere else) and we had some goo coming from the boot lid. Actually, it was from the base of the boot lid where it meets the bumper. We washed the car about 12hrs or so after finding the goo. It staind the bumper where it ran down. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not sure if I want to go buy a bunch of clean solutions to try and clean it or have the dealer do it. The car is only about 3-4 weeks old. Any thoughts? Anyone else had this experience?

Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
katesmini
3rd Gear
It's been hot in Ohio too, and my MINI just had this happen last week. I washed the car the next day as well, but even with clay I haven't been able to get it all off. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership and having them take care of it. It looks like it's coming from two small openings on the inside of the boot lid and then running along the seam between the boot lining and the bumper before running down the bumper in two spots. It made me sad to see my beautiful car with gooey greasy marks!

Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do your cars have sunroofs? Sounds like the sunroof drain pipes and the "goo" might be damp icky stuff collected in the pipes and oozing out with the very hot weather making the pipes super slippery inside ? Or maybe it's melted pipe!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Cherry2005
3rd Gear
I don't have any of that, but my windshield wipers melted and stuck to the glass (I hit the wiper by accident and the blades when up, but the rubber stuck onto the glass).

Also - and this is somewhat disturbing - the black part of my exterior door handle is melted and has lost its hard properties. It's sticky-gooey and the black smudgy stuff comes off on my fingers when I open my door. It's been over 100 degrees for almost 3 weeks here, and my MINI is parked in the sun all day.

Ewwwwww. Now what.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by katesmini
It's been hot in Ohio too, and my MINI just had this happen last week. I washed the car the next day as well, but even with clay I haven't been able to get it all off. I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership and having them take care of it. It looks like it's coming from two small openings on the inside of the boot lid and then running along the seam between the boot lining and the bumper before running down the bumper in two spots. It made me sad to see my beautiful car with gooey greasy marks!
That's the exact spot that I found the substance to come from too. We need to take our cabrio in for some issues regarding the bonnet stripes. There is some air bubbles in the vinyl when they laid them down. We'll get the boot looked at too. I'll post any results.

Good to know that the clar bar didn't work. I don't want to go spending hours trying to get it off in 115 degree heat. On a brighter note, today is only suppose to be like 95. I'm happy about that. Top down motoring! Too bad I didn't drive the cabrio today... just my hardtop S.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
I'll bet it's that Cosmoline crap! Do a search and you will find tons of info. I had some issues around my windshield washer jet. I used my clay bar with some success, but I found that eventually it just faded and disappeared. I was concerned since it initially was dark and looked like it was under the clearcoat - but no worries, it's gone now.

Chuck

Old 07-28-2006, 09:53 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Thanks Minimaybee..

here is a quick link to a good explaination of what it is and how to remove:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=Cosmoline

Old 07-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Threat
2nd Gear
I was told by the dealer that it is grease used inside the boot to help fight rust. They explained that the back of the mini gets alot of spray and residue and the gunk leaks out, but is perfectly normal.

The dealer removed it for me.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Junk in the trunk?

I'd rather find loot in the boot!

Old 07-28-2006, 03:10 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Threat
I was told by the dealer that it is grease used inside the boot to help fight rust. They explained that the back of the mini gets alot of spray and residue and the gunk leaks out, but is perfectly normal.

The dealer removed it for me.
that's what I thought it was... Since it came from the two holes in the boot...

We'll have the dealer clean it off I guess!