R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 boot latch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
luluzapcat
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boot latch

i have occasional trouble getting my boot to latch. although i keep my hand away from the center where the electronic latch is, repeated attempts at closing the boot don't get it to latch.

my doofus motoring advisor (he told me the dash light dimmer was a trip timer!) didn't understand how it works and couldn't explain it to me. left me with the impression that sometimes i have to repeatedly open the boot all the way before closing...but this doesn't always seem to work, nor does it seem well-designed (out of keeping with the rest of the mini!) and i'd really like to know the logic behind the whole system--or if mine's actually malfunctioning. got this car last wednesday so i've got plenty to learn!

thanks for any explanations--this board is such a wonderful help.

cheers,
diana

Old 07-17-2006, 06:50 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's malfunctioning... My boot closes on the first attempt. Sometimes I have to push it closed a bit more forcefully than I'd think would be necessary, but the boot on a cabrio IS closing UP so I always chalked it up to that. I certainly don't have to open and close it several times to get it to engage, though.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:41 AM
katesmini
3rd Gear
Sometimes when I close the boot I don't give it quite a strong enough push. I wouldn't say you have to SLAM it, but it does take a little oomph.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Da Boy
2nd Gear
while on the subject...what ever you do... do not disconnect the battery and then close the boot. It won't open if you do that. Luckily there is a positive terminal for a battery charger under the bonnet and connect negative to frame to get juice back to accessories... and you'll be able to open boot again

Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
69Mini
1st Gear
Take it back and get the mechanism adjusted. My boot would latch, but the boot lamp on the dash would illuminate indicating it was still open. Was told that the boot needed to be slamed shut, but I was getting close to denting the boot at closure. After an adjustment at the dealership all was good.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:14 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Same Here

If you notice, there are two latches in the boot. The right side on mine would always latch, but the left side wouldn't. I would just slam it closed and this took care of it. But, since my accident (see below, poor baby) , they had to replace that whole left side which included the latch. Now it closes just fine. I'd definitely have them look at it.

Nemo's smack-up http://web.mac.com/bryen/iWeb/NemoMi...91AF43B6A.html

Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Phurbahl
2nd Gear
I took care of the dash light coming on my sticking a small piece of paper in the switch mounting hole so the switch would stick out a bit further. This works fine but I will get it adjusted on both mine and my wife's next time we are at the dealer.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Dweeb
Neutral
My 06 cab S is the finest piece of machinery I've owned. It's better than the e46 3 series and e38 7 series, which are themselves astonishing pieces of engineering and exectuion. If you have any problems, get it into the dealer under warranty and get it fixed. Mine is superb. I cannot believe I only paid $35k out the door for this car.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
amarzano
1st Gear
I have this exact same problem. I made my appointment 1 month ago and will FINALLY be taking the car in tomorrow..

Alex

Originally Posted by 69Mini
Take it back and get the mechanism adjusted. My boot would latch, but the boot lamp on the dash would illuminate indicating it was still open. Was told that the boot needed to be slamed shut, but I was getting close to denting the boot at closure. After an adjustment at the dealership all was good.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:54 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Well my boot has the opposite problem. If I close it to hard (& by too hard I mean anything over barely shutting it) my boot won't open . I've had the latch mechanism replaced but it still does it. Also it seems to happen mostly when some stranger comes up & wants to check out my Mini (boot & all) & I try to open it but it won't. Kinda embarassing ah well I just refer to her as my lovable POS