R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Look What I Got In The Mail Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look What I Got In The Mail Today

Wow. Nemo's only 2 months old... and his first recall notice! I'm so proud. I'm gonna have it bronzed.

So... anyone else get one of these yet? I'm REALLY hoping they don't disable the convenience opening feature because of this, but I've heard rumors about it happening.

Here's the letter...Look What I Got In The Mail Today-nemorecall.jpg

Old 07-01-2006, 08:13 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Having been involved in the MINI community since 2002, I have to say that this letter is really outstanding. They are taking responsibility for a known problem, and that is to be commended.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:21 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Fishy.. no Nemo pun.

I agree... this came pretty quick. But I wonder... what exactly IS the problem? There are so many things that stay on in a MINI after you take the key out... the iPod adapter, the park indicator on the shift **** (automatic only), the radio (for 20 mins), the follow-me-home lights... it's weird that the non-moving top could put a drain on the battery after all of that.

Just sounds fishy to me... I don't wanna lose my remote top function. I use it every day!

I'll call 'em Monday (they'll probably be closed though.) If I get an answer I'll post it, if no one beats me to it.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:29 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I think what they are saying is that lowering & raising the top with the car turned off drains the battery so I would guess they are going to disable that feature. When I got my cabrio the dealer said they wouldn't program that feature & they told me to never operate the top unless the Mini was running due to battery drain

I haven't gotten a letter so please post when you find out what it is exactly.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
Bryen, my MCC is a Sept 04 build and I haven't gotten a letter. Makes me go "hmmmm" as I have the Convenience Opening feature and I use it all the time (mostly to sunroof open/windows down stage).

Clo, can you tell us more? Have folks been opening the top without starting the car and returning to dead batteries? I was warned not to do that more than once or twice without driving the car, to build the charge back up. Happily I haven't had any problems.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:43 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Bf

Hmm. If they're gonna disable my convenience opening feature... what if I don't take it in? I use that everyday, and the dealer never said one word about it either way. I wonder.. do you void your warranty for failing to address a recall notice? I also wonder if they can make a calorie-free ice cream, if anyone knows that one too.

bamatt... I can't believe the dealer said NO to programming that feature for you! It's in the manual! They owe it to you. I think I would have had a BF if that had happened to me. (For the definition of BF, you have to suffer through the movie "White Chicks." Sorry. Not gonna tell ya. If I had to do it, so does everyone else.)

Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Xtro
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NemoMini
Hmm. If they're gonna disable my convenience opening feature... what if I don't take it in? I use that everyday, and the dealer never said one word about it either way. I wonder.. do you void your warranty for failing to address a recall notice?
We were just talking about this on another thread. I was told by my dealer not to use that feature, it drains the battery.

I have an 05 that was JUST in for service a few days ago, no mention of a
recall or disable. I've never tried to use it,for all I know it was never activated.

I would guess that BMW would not take responsibility for a dead battery
or road service related to one if you didn't get the work done. Just a guess
though...

Please keep us posted.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
If you don't take it in right away, the dealer will apply the recall whenever you next take it in (e.g. regular service, etc.). In the meantime, you have some risk of walking out to your car and finding a dead battery.

If the recall is a safety issue (probably not), the dealer will be obligated to apply it, but if not you might be able to negotiate to not have it done. Then the battery won't be covered if it goes dead.

Without more information about what the recall actually involves, I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself with assuming it will disable the convenience opening. But if it does, you'll be in a bit of a dilemma choosing between convenience opening and risk of a dead battery.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:17 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
My Cabrio is a Sept 04 build also. I have the convenience opening feature. I have not received a recall letter at this time. I do occasionally use it to open the windows & the sunroof & have never had an issue with the battery going dead. I'm due for my 25K service soon. So we shall see what happens.

Lois

Old 07-02-2006, 09:37 AM
o4amini
6th Gear
I am driving an 06 Cabrio (loaner from the dealer) I can't even put the windows down with the remote key, just unlock the doors.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a June build 04' and have only once used this option and that was just to test it to see if it's works... Sterling MINI seemed to already be aware of this issue a long ago as they warned me not to use this option too often... guess my letter will be coming soon....

Donna

Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
When my car was in for service a couple of months ago, I asked to change some programmable options. My service advisor offered to turn on convenience opening and thought it was a great feature, and even encouraged me. I was somewhat interested but declined because I've read too many reports of mysterious unexplained openings (even cabrios found completely open in the rain).

Many seem to be assuming that the recall is for the convenience opening but I think it is premature without more information. The notice seems to be saying that the battery is draining while the car is sitting unused, not from the top being opened and closed.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
havnap
Coordinator :: Metroplex MINI
There was a problem with a certain run of VIN's that had this problem. The relay stays on too long and that causes the battery drain. It's just a software programming and the dealership shouldn't turn off any features.

Any dealership that tells you they won't program a feature because you shouldn't use it should be shot. Why would MINI put the feature on a car then? Don't let them snowball you......that's a GREAT feature that I really like so I can get out and put the top / windows up all at once. Now that I've figured out the sequence to put the top down, that's great too.

That said, I wouldn't put the top up and down several times without the car running..but unless something is wrong, doing it one time now and then isn't going to hurt anything.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:15 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We picked ours up last Friday. I asked and was told they could not do the convenience opening any more. They did do the sunroof/window down thing though and thats fine - at least it lets the heat out before I get in. We were told not to open the roof more than twice when the car is off.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
fred3
4th Gear
It's nice...

Originally Posted by NemoMini
Wow. Nemo's only 2 months old... and his first recall notice! I'm so proud. I'm gonna have it bronzed.

So... anyone else get one of these yet? I'm REALLY hoping they don't disable the convenience opening feature because of this, but I've heard rumors about it happening.

Here's the letter...Attachment 13620
that they go to all the trouble as some car brands do not. Not sure why they'd disable the convienence opening, but I would imagine all you have to do is voice your concern when you bring it in. I'm sure they'll let you know if & why it would have to be done. More likely the programmer screwed it up, or the program itself is bugged

Old 07-03-2006, 05:47 AM
jbarwilson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
If you don't take it in right away, the dealer will apply the recall whenever you next take it in (e.g. regular service, etc.). In the meantime, you have some risk of walking out to your car and finding a dead battery.

You would think so, but my wife's '06 was in for service and they didn't perform the recall work. I got the letter in the mail Friday night (too late to call Mini service). Saturday morning the dealer delivered the car back to us with no mention of the recall. I will call them today to see if it is really necessary.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:22 PM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
i am puzzled

In reading the manual it states to not used the key to open the roof if the car is not running because it drains the battery.
What i dont understand doesnt the battery charge back up again when the car is started and running call me old fahion but isnt the job of an alternater to charge the battery while the car is running.
I dont know .... i will say 1/2 the time i use the key to open the roof it stops 1/2 way through the process or it takes so long to actvate i just hop in the car and finish anyways.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:41 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
I use the convenience feature all the time. It's a Godsend being in Florida. My MA told me to use it and showed me how.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Xtro
2nd Gear
>In reading the manual it states to not use the key to open the roof if the car is not running because it drains the battery.

Enlighten me.... How are you going to use the key from outside of the car to do a "convenience" opening when the key is in the ignition being used to start the car and run the engine ??

Old 07-04-2006, 06:17 AM
MyMini05
2nd Gear
I use the roof fully open feature every day after work. It lets the heat out and makes all my fellow co-workers jealous as my roof is going down on a nice sunny day.

My car is an April 05 build and I have not received any recall letter. It just went in for scheduled service and there was no mention of a recall or turning off my convenience feature.

Happy Motoring - Fred

Old 07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
zeusboy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Xtro
>In reading the manual it states to not use the key to open the roof if the car is not running because it drains the battery.

Enlighten me.... How are you going to use the key from outside of the car to do a "convenience" opening when the key is in the ignition being used to start the car and run the engine ??
Maybe you're not aware of the "convenience mode" and how it works.

When you are outside the car and the car is locked and the engine isn't running, you can press the unlock button once to unlock the driver's side door, then again to unlock the passenger's side, then again and hold to open the sunroof portion and lower the windows, then again and hold to lower the top. All of this is done without the engine on.

I use this feature almost daily, living in GA, and also was told by my MA how to do it. I never read a warning not to do this in the owner's manual, but if ya'll say it does, I believe you. I'm at 19K and it is a Nov. '04 build. Haven't received a letter, but in reading the above letter, it doesn't state to "not use the convenience mode for opening because it drains the battery". If this is true, it make you wonder why this option was made available in the first place.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:43 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I use it daily as well at work and I've had no issues. The battery in a car ALWAYS drains a bit with starting the car, and is charged back up in the normal course of driving. This is just how it works. Maybe if you opened/closed the roof multiple times w/o the engine on, you'd have issues... MAYBE.

My sales guy showed me the feature (I would have had no idea it was ever there) and used it as a selling point, even (like I needed to be sold... hehehe).

I might not use it on a very cold day, when the battery is working harder than usual just to start the car, but then again, why would I be putting the top down in sub-zero weather ANYWAY?

Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 AM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
Whoo Hoo!

Just spoke with my Service Advisor... my appointment is tomorrow at 2pm. She assures me that the convenience opening feature will NOT be disabled, that it's more of a timing and voltage draw issue that needs to be changed. (How much juice it pulls and for how long after the car is switched off.) The procedure takes all of 15 minutes.

I just knew I was gonna lose that, so you know I was usin' the hell out of it today!!!!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:23 PM
NemoMini
2nd Gear
So far so good.

Ok, so the appointment took WAY longer than 15 minutes (try about an hour and a half.) But, all is well... the convenience opening function still works! In fact, and it could be just me, but it seems faster than it was.

And a little bit of info for anybody here in Atlanta... Global Imports is OUT of batteries! If you got the battery recall letter, call them first and ask when they expect to get them in!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Thanks for keeping us up to date on this. I haven't received a letter, but will feel better about it if I do receive one.

BTW, cool pic in your sig!

Quick Reply: R52 Look What I Got In The Mail Today