R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Any Cabrio owners have a sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
ditto rkw - the thing that's sometimes problematic is that some aftermarket exhausts add a skinny resonator somewhere in the exhaust tunnel. Since the USS runs across this tunnel in two locations, if the exhaust adds anything that hangs below this, you may have clearance issues. Sometimes this can be resolved with spacers between the chassis and the USS. I recommend you get the USS instructions to see where it actually fits under the car (it uses existing holes that you can find) and then get under your car with a straightedge (like a yardstick) and lay it across these points and see if you hit or get too close to your exhaust...

Best to check it on your particular car - because some folks have had different experiences with the same setup due to car-specific fitment issuues.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:30 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINInurse
Along the same line of questioning...Anyone JUST have a USS and NO sway bar? I know there is a huge difference before it, I am on the fence about ordering the USS, the STB and a RSB... Cashish isn't quite ready to bloom on that tree yet.

Is getting a RSB added with the USS a 'must have'?
Wellll.....

I installed the USS first, drove it for a little while, then added the swaybar. IMHO, the USS made the MOST difference on my cabrio. And it actually does effect day-to-day driveability by reducing cowl shake and improving front grip.

The H-Sport adjustable rear sway (set in the middle position for me) also made a significant difference in further reducing understeer and making the car handle in a wonderfully neutral manner - not "twitchy" - but very, very responsive - you think about where you want to go, and it goes there - you never feel like you're having to "push" the car to turn, even in extreme handling challenges like the Dragon.

My opinion would be that the USS is a "must have" on the cabrio for any level of performance / enthusiast driving. The swaybar upgrade I would rate a "very nice to have" for most driving, and a "must have" for performance twisty driving...

Old 07-09-2007, 07:01 AM
reeechard
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Along the same line of questioning...Anyone JUST have a USS and NO sway bar? I know there is a huge difference before it, I am on the fence about ordering the USS, the STB and a RSB... Cashish isn't quite ready to bloom on that tree yet.

I got my USS installed so next time I see you at an event you can take my car for a spin and see how it feels, though I think not having run flats changes the feel a lot more and may give you a skewed impression.

My feeling on it (after a few days of driving it) is that it feels like the car drives tighter and doesn't flex as much. It reminds me of when I first got the car and it felt very tight compared to how it has felt lately where it has felt loose to some degree.

-rich

Old 07-09-2007, 08:26 AM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
ditto rkw - the thing that's sometimes problematic is that some aftermarket exhausts add a skinny resonator somewhere in the exhaust tunnel. Since the USS runs across this tunnel in two locations, if the exhaust adds anything that hangs below this, you may have clearance issues. Sometimes this can be resolved with spacers between the chassis and the USS. I recommend you get the USS instructions to see where it actually fits under the car (it uses existing holes that you can find) and then get under your car with a straightedge (like a yardstick) and lay it across these points and see if you hit or get too close to your exhaust...

Best to check it on your particular car - because some folks have had different experiences with the same setup due to car-specific fitment issuues.
Thanks for the response. The Blueflame DID have a resonator in the tunnel, but it was too far back and caused clearance issues with the supports. I had it removed. That gives me a bit more hope about using this mod. Does anyone know if photos of the USS installed have been posted anywhere? Guess if nothing else, I can wait til our next meet and find someone who has had this done and pop it up on ramps to check it out.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Does anyone know if photos of the USS installed have been posted anywhere?
Blimey always comes through - check out:

http://blimey.gomotoring.com/?p=8

(click on the pic for a bigger version)

Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
humcmcel
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minianni
...In normal street driving none of this stuff is needed except non-runflats and maybe Koni FSD's.
It sure is alot more fun to drive if you have these mods though. If we only had what we needed we all be driving econo boxes that looked the same and followed a track in the road.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 2phun
Does anyone know if photos of the USS installed have been posted anywhere?
See pics in the installation guide: http://www.m7tuning.com/techinfo/Ins...ll%2BGuide.pdf

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on reading through a lot of posts on NAM -- and especially Blimey's posts -- I decided to do my first performance mod and got myself a USS. (Many thanks to Way Motorworks for the install.)

I don't do AutoX, just regular driving, but I could immediately tell the difference in handling. Turning the corners is a lot more fun and the car is a lot tighter.

Is it a necessary mod? No. The MINI is great just as it is. But you can certainly add a little extra handling through this mod.

BTW, Way suggests that if I want to get the most bang for my buck, I should do the 15% pulley next, followed by a sway bar. Do I need these mods? No. Am I going to do them. Oh yeah. Right after I save up the bucks.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear

Glad I didn't lead you astray.

You'll enjoy the pulley (a LOT) and the swaybar also.