R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 MCSC Cat-Back Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:24 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meg
It was 30 degrees that day, damn straight the top was up.
What, you don't have heated seats?!?! Gotta remember that 90/10 policy.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
meg
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
What, you don't have heated seats?!?! Gotta remember that 90/10 policy.
Oh I signed the 90/10 contract when I got my car. But I think it says something about being above 32 degrees. I'll have to find my copy

And yes I do have heated seats...they don't help all that much when it is that cold.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:37 AM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Edited OP to include the Larini Club Sport exhaust, and removed the Webb Motorsports as a potential to-be-released exhaust for the convertible.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 AM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
What are the reasons for an aftermarket exhaust?

1. More HP?
2. Better(?) sound?
3. Longevity?
4. Looks?

I installed a Borla exhaust on my-2 Cooper for a better sound. It was OK but did drone a bit on the highway.

I like the OEM sound on my 05 Cabrio so I will stick with the OEM exhaust. Will probably trade in less than 4 years so longevity isn't an issue. How much additional power doe the aftermarket exhausts really provide? Without modification to the cats I would not expect to see much of an increase. Anyone have real dyno numbers?
Thanks.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:29 AM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rmorin49
What are the reasons for an aftermarket exhaust?

1. More HP?
2. Better(?) sound?
3. Longevity?
4. Looks?

I installed a Borla exhaust on my-2 Cooper for a better sound. It was OK but did drone a bit on the highway.

I like the OEM sound on my 05 Cabrio so I will stick with the OEM exhaust. Will probably trade in less than 4 years so longevity isn't an issue. How much additional power doe the aftermarket exhausts really provide? Without modification to the cats I would not expect to see much of an increase. Anyone have real dyno numbers?
Thanks.
It took me a while, but I finally remembered where I had read some good info on why aftermarket exhausts are a good idea. It was in the Exhaust System - detailed explanation thread. Lots of good information in there, so I won't repeat it here.

I also recall seeing a photograph of the interior of the stock exhaust versus an aftermarket, but can't locate it - essentially, it shows how the stock is significantly restricted compared to the aftermarket.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:45 PM
rcoseven
Neutral
the very best after market mini exhaust is the PowerTone. I have one on my convertible and it sounds like a 50's muscle car with a glass pack muffler. Not too loud deep throated sound.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:21 AM
meg
5th Gear
Well the Magnaflow finally arrived at my house yesterday. They just came out with the 04+ model but it still won't bolt right onto the 'vert. I have a shop who is willing to bend the midpipe for me so it fits over the extra cross brace. He said he's actually done a few on the MINI 'vert already. Probably gonna have it done sometime next week.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
JCW exhaust for cabrio

Can anyone give me a link to the JCW exhaust for the cabrio? The 2006 works brochure doesn't seem to be online, and the JCW exhaust on my dealer's website specifically says "NOT FOR MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE"

Old 09-12-2006, 07:14 AM
meg
5th Gear
I had the Magnaflow catback installed on my 'vert last week. Just took a little tweaking of the midpipe (they have to bend it to pass over the extra cross brace). Ran me about $200 for the install and midpipe modification.
It sounds GREAT. Very deep and throaty. At highway speeds (not accelerating) it is only slightly louder then the stock exhaust, but when you stomp on it, you can definitely here the difference. The programed exhaust burble has turned in to a more pronouced grumble that can be heard when shifting in all gears. I love it!

Old 09-12-2006, 07:51 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_LV
Can anyone give me a link to the JCW exhaust for the cabrio? The 2006 works brochure doesn't seem to be online, and the JCWhardtop exhaust on my dealer's website specifically says "NOT FOR MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE"
The website is probably out of date. Ask Classic MINI about the fitment. I believe that the JCW exhaust is now a universal fit for hardtop and convertible, with a flattened section of pipe to clear the convertible frame brace. On MINI2, some hardtop owners posted about replacing the flattened section for less flow restriction.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Originally Posted by meg
I had the Magnaflow catback installed on my 'vert last week. Just took a little tweaking of the midpipe (they have to bend it to pass over the extra cross brace). Ran me about $200 for the install and midpipe modification.
It sounds GREAT. Very deep and throaty. At highway speeds (not accelerating) it is only slightly louder then the stock exhaust, but when you stomp on it, you can definitely here the difference. The programed exhaust burble has turned in to a more pronouced grumble that can be heard when shifting in all gears. I love it!
I hope it's ok to disagree with you on the sound level for this exhaust. I'm glad you like it as that is what truly counts. Every Magnaflow I've ever heard was obnoxiously loud and totally unacceptable for me. The Milltek is supposedly the quietest aftermarket exhaust there is however it's increase in sound level is barely acceptable. I can't wait to see someone come out with an exhaust that improves flow while reducing sound levels. I know those are goals that are at odds with each other but it's not an unreasonable one.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:01 AM
meg
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gr8Force
I hope it's ok to disagree with you on the sound level for this exhaust. I'm glad you like it as that is what truly counts. Every Magnaflow I've ever heard was obnoxiously loud and totally unacceptable for me. The Milltek is supposedly the quietest aftermarket exhaust there is however it's increase in sound level is barely acceptable.
It surely is ok to disagree, that's why there are so many out there. After hearing the Militek I thought it sounded the "ricest" of them all (sorry I don't mean to offend anyone who has one-it's just my opinion), but that's something I wanted to avoid. I have been told, by several people that the Magnaflow doesn't sound "ricey" at all. I guess it is all a matter of preference and apparently hearing.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Wow, that is weird because I thought the Magnaflow sounded ricey! I guess that's just another indicator of how we're all different.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
HAVNPHUN
2nd Gear
My take on the Magnaflow too.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Steve_LV
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The website is probably out of date. Ask Classic MINI about the fitment. I believe that the JCW exhaust is now a universal fit for hardtop and convertible, with a flattened section of pipe to clear the convertible frame brace. On MINI2, some hardtop owners posted about replacing the flattened section for less flow restriction.
Thanks, rkw.
I'll check with Classic.
Steve