R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 MINI Convertible vs. Beetle Convertible vs. Mustang Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Kellzir
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I decided on a Mini I looked at the VW GLI. If you are considering it, check out this site to read what owners have to say: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeromain?id=1
Too many negative issues on reliability that turned me away from the GLI.

As for the Mustang, I liked the commercial advertising the convertibles coming soon, not in winter. My personal choice is the Mini though.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:49 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
I have test driven the MINI, just not the convertible.

However... (blah, blah, blah)... So long story short, ... what ended up happening is the salesman drove, while I sat in the passenger seat. So basically, I HAVE test driven the MINI, but I personally wasn't behind the wheel. I still feel like I got a good feel for the car, but I haven't experienced the sensation of actually being behind the wheel of a MINI just yet...
Dude. You have NOT driven a Mini. If you ever do and are still undecided, then definitely go for the Mustang.

IMHO, if the combintation of the Mini's quick steering ratio, stiff suspension, short wheelbase, and rigid body (Ok, maybe not in the convertible) don't hook you, then you have likely lost some key brain functionality to childhood trauma or drug abuse.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:00 PM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
The Mustang is slow without getting a GT... the V6 mustangs have absolutely no power. In the power department, the Cooper feels faster just because of the zip. V8 mustang would be a decent car, but a V8 mustang convertible will be hard to get right away because of the demand, I know the ford dealer in this city has all of their GT's until the beginning of may sold already.

I think you should go back and test-drive the MINI... it is much different behind the wheel. I got a unique test drive experience, the first time I drove a MINI was up and down the Tail of the Dragon... I traded my corvette in for the MINI less than 2 months later

Hands down, the MINI is a better car... but it is completely upto you, test drive both, see what you like better.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:13 PM
bdmini
3rd Gear
Get a Mini and to quote that famous cliche "once you go Mini you'll never go back"

But man where did I miss the optional eyelash headlamp surrounds and hairbow antenna when I was looking at Beetles????:smile: If I'd known about those high performance goodies I just might be driving a veedub instead of my super cool gets a lot of great compliements goes fast and corners on rails MINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later

Old 03-12-2005, 10:19 PM
darbmark
2nd Gear
Well, we are biased! (I mean, we are MINI owners afterall!!!)

I LOVE my MINI convertible and it has been the talk of the town! I looked at the Beetle years ago and then looked at them again a few months ago. Well, you know which one I picked!!

The Bettle has a horrible reliability rating and it's convertible opening mechanism is a big pain in the butt! I love the fact that I can open my top with a press of a button. (Ok, it's actually two presses, but who's counting?)

I have always wanted a '67 Mustang, but that was never in the cards. The new one just doesn't do it for me -- not at all.
All that being said, I will be a MINI owner for life!!

My previous car was a Toyota Celica Convertible and that car turned a lot of heads while I was in college. (Heck, it turned heads well after college too!) I can only imagine what a MINI convertible could do for you! (You'll never be without friends or a date!!)

Old 03-12-2005, 10:27 PM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
Yeah, I can definitely agree to that - having a MINI in college, you are never lacking attention. People go out of their way to come talk to me and ask me about it.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:27 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What?? ? You haven't actually driven a MINI yet ??? Well, no wonder you're having second thoughts! Whatever you do, don't decide against a MINI until you've had a chance to drive one! And if you do, DON'T drive a MINI after you've ordered another car... you'll forever kick yourself!

I wasn't even considering a MINI when I test-drove one. I was considering a used BMW at the same dealership and decided to test-drive the MINI on a lark. That's my excuse for needing a second test drive . The rest is history.

BTW it took me well over an hour to decide on a color, and that was despite the fact that the dealer had just recieved a huge shipment of new MINI's and I was able to check out virtually every combination in person, for as long as I wanted to. That was an hour plus on my own... after my MA had given up on me.... Fortunately there were a lot fewer options to consider back then too.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:14 AM
mcsc
2nd Gear
Mini-- The Ultimate Driving Machine!

Old 03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
I had this same debate.

(BTW my MINI convertible is due to arrive on the 15th )

Anyway, the reasons I picked the MINI over the Beetle and Mustang:

1. The cool sunroof trick that only the Mini can do.
2. The gas mileage! (comparing the Mustang vs Mini)
3. The feel that the Mini had that the others didn't.
4. (this will sound corny, but it made me go "hummm") Accessibilty of the Mini engine vs the Beetle. A friend who had owned the Beetle told me how he couldn't change out his own headlight bulbs. You have to access it from underneath the car. Well, if that's difficult to do, I started imagining all sorts of other things that could be difficult too!
5. Extra cost on the beetle to get the automatic top.

in the end, it all comes down to what YOU like!

good luck!
-S

Old 03-13-2005, 01:48 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Originally Posted by moneypenny
4. (this will sound corny, but it made me go "hummm") Accessibilty of the Mini engine vs the Beetle. A friend who had owned the Beetle told me how he couldn't change out his own headlight bulbs. You have to access it from underneath the car. Well, if that's difficult to do, I started imagining all sorts of other things that could be difficult too!
The headlight bulb replacement isn't that difficult. Pop the hood, push up a lever and pull the headlight assembly out of the fender. But sometimes dirt and crud accumulates in the mechanism and lots of pulling and cursing can result before the light comes free.

I've done a timing belt and clutch replacement on my NB and although space is tight, it's not impossible. Other maintenance issues are pretty straightforward. Air filter, spark plugs, and oil filter are easily accessible.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:52 PM
searocko
4th Gear
To give you an idea of owner's experiences with the NBC, here's a link to a forum on Newbeetle.org. http://forums.newbeetle.org/forumdis...?s=&forumid=73

Old 03-13-2005, 04:24 PM
GuateMINI
2nd Gear
Mustangs and MINIs are both "M" Cars

My first car was a '66 Mustang 289 4-Speed. Oh how I loved that car!

In the interim, I drove several Mustang convertibles over the years though I'm not really a convertible guy. The deal with the Mustang is V-8 power and sound. In '67-'70 I kept running the horsepower up on my 'Stang and (like an idiot) kept trying to get it to corner like a MINI.

A MINI MCS is everything I could wish for...great sound (yes, it's not the same as a V-8, but that supercharger whine is sweet), a superb gearbox, and the most amazing ability to change directions (i.e. go around corners when you want it to) in ways a Mustang will never do. Finally, the combination of MINI factors adds up to just a lot of fun.

In '72 I did Tucson to Guatemala on a Honda 350, in '73 Panama to LA on a Honda 750, and this yea,r LA to Guatemala in a MCS. This car is a great car that was made for twisty turns, but unless you're looking for a land yacht, it is also a great long-range cruiser.

The '05 Mustang is a great looking car. If I had Jay Leno's garage, I'd certainly have one, but there's no way I'd trade my MINI for it.

Saludos

Old 03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I'm actually lucky enough that I don't have to make a choice... I own both a Mustang and a MINI... but neither one of them are convertibles.

My Mustang is a 1995 GT Coupe, that I have done all kinds of mods to - wheels, tires, brakes, transmission, exhaust, and every last suspension mod I could find. The only part I haven't touched yet is the engine, which is still the same 5.0L HO Ford that came with the car. The engine is the LAST mod I'm planning to make, after which the car will be simply undrivable except on clear, sunny days with 100% dry roads (think 500 RWHP).

I love my Mustang, don't get me wrong. And with all of the many suspension mods I've done to it, it handles VERY well - for a Mustang. I've been told by several Mustang fans that it's the "tightest" Mustang they've ever driven, which is quite a compliment.

That being said, I am not foolish enough to think that my Mustang is simply "the bomb" in the handling department. My new MINI very easily outhandles the Mustang, it's simply no contest... as long as the road stays curvy!

So the MINI is now my daily driver, as the Mustang gets jealous. I think that once the "new car" feeling wears off, I'll drive the Mustang a little more, on weekends, etc (winter excluded!).

Not a bad set of choices though - If I want to go really fast (especially in a straight line), with gobs of torque... I can drive the Mustang. If I want oodles of fun carving up a curvy road, I will drive the MINI.

That's the basic choice, KRGMini05. Just how important is raw power to you? Do you like the "tough, snarling, muscle car" image? Is that you? Or, do you want a fun as hell, nimble, shifty car that will also get you through all 4 seasons without breaking a sweat?

Based upon your location up in NH (esp. in winter), I think it's a clear choice, unless you can have more than one car... get the MINI, you won't regret it.

P.S. Used Mustang GT Convertibles can probably be found for very good prices, if you want both.
P.P.S. I didn't mention the Beetle, because let's face it - there's not a damn thing it can do (sports wise) that a MINI can't... and it is so much more of a "chick car" than the MINI, that for every "cute car" comment you'll get with the MINI, you'll get 10 more with the Beetle. Are you a straight guy? Do you care what other people think at ALL? Yeah I thought so. MINI > Beetle.

Last edited by Edge; 03-13-2005 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Added reference to VW New Beetle
Old 03-13-2005, 05:58 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
P.P.S. I didn't mention the Beetle, because let's face it - there's not a damn thing it can do (sports wise) that a MINI can't... and it is so much more of a "chick car" than the MINI, that for every "cute car" comment you'll get with the MINI, you'll get 10 more with the Beetle. Are you a straight guy? Do you care what other people think at ALL? Yeah I thought so. MINI > Beetle.
Well, yes and no.....

Yeah I care what other people think, and yeah I'm straight. BUT, I would most likely be able to get a 1.8T turbo beetle convertible for the same price as a regular non-S Cooper Convertible...and that's tempting. The local VW dealership has a black/black Beetle convertible 1.8T (150 hp) with 17" alloys and a turbo badge on the back...it looks HOT, not really cutesy like some beetles do. If I had that car, I wouldn't be as concerned about the car's image. It's a bit different than your average bright green or yellow 115 hp 2.0 Beetle (chick car) IMO.

I think I'd be happy with either car, but only a back to back test drive of both will be the deciding factor.

P.S. I ruled the Mustang out for many reasons, including the ones you mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Kyle,

Some things are simply worth the additional expense. In this case, I think that's true. Test drive both (for more than just 5 minutes), and I suspect you'll probably agree.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:05 PM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
I'd love to see a turbo beetle on an empty (curvey) backroad with a cooper... we'll see who the winner is

Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WindMeUp
I'd love to see a turbo beetle on an empty (curvey) backroad with a cooper... we'll see who the winner is
Stock vs. stock the Cooper wins hands down. With suspension mods it'll be closer than you think but the Cooper will still win. Of course, it depends on the driver.

Old 03-13-2005, 06:38 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Keep in mind...If I got a Cooper convertible it would be the 115 hp (NON-S) model.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Cherry2005
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
Keep in mind...If I got a Cooper convertible it would be the 115 hp (NON-S) model.
Now stop it! Enough! Get the S and don't look back.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:27 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Just to update you all...I've completely ruled out the Mustang and just about ruled out the beetle convertible...and that's without even driving a MINI. I imagine that when I test drive one it will seal the deal.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
KRGMini05,

One final bit of advice on the MINI test drive. Go ahead and test the regular Cooper... but if you truly can't afford the extra $4000 for the MCS, then DON'T test drive it because you'll wish you could get it.

Don't get me wrong, the Cooper is still fun as hell, once you get moving. It's just the "get moving" part that I find lacking (but then again I was used to a V8 RWD beforehand heh).

Old 03-13-2005, 08:58 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Old 03-13-2005, 09:06 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
Don't get me wrong, the Cooper is still fun as hell, once you get moving. It's just the "get moving" part that I find lacking (but then again I was used to a V8 RWD beforehand heh).
Then again, I'm considering selling my MCS and getting COOPER.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Interesting, DiD... why?

Old 03-14-2005, 01:01 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I had a cooper convertable CSV for a weekend and I thought it totaly kicked ***. Having driven the cooper 5 speed I can easily say it would have kicked even more *** in 5 speed format.

Take my word for it even if the 1.8T could outperform the Cooper convertable (it can't) the bottom line is you'll kick yourself every time you see a MINI drive by. Go take a real test drive.

Quick Reply: R52 MINI Convertible vs. Beetle Convertible vs. Mustang Convertible