R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Rear view mirror dissassembly ease?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Sharky_PI
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear view mirror dissassembly ease?

Hi all,

I clicked the manual dimmer on the rear view mirror and it seemed to 'overclick' and possibly break something, such that the mirror is now loose in it's gimbal and droops down during driving.
Thanks to various threads & links on here I was able to look at the exploded parts diagram of the mirror assembly, however that has the mirror as a single piece, and I want to open it up. I removed it from the gimbal just to check and it has a black plastic hoop loose which looks like it should be secured within the assembly rather than floating around loosely on the gimbal neck.
Bill Salopek has a good thread here where he takes the mirror apart (pics) but the pictures begin with the mirror already open (different model car, may be same model mirror). Does anyone know how to open up the mirror without breaking it? And/or have any suspicions of what might be wrong, what that loose black hoop might be, whether it's an easy fix?
I'm due at the dealership Friday for a complimentary service and essentially want to find out whether it's worth me having them fix it (and potentially try to double-charge me) or whether it's quick and I can do it myself (or at least haggle the price down!).

Thanks in advance all!

Old 11-27-2018, 08:43 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The mirror is held on with fairly sturdy internal clips. You should get a plastic pry tool (or use some old credit cards) to wedge in between the mirror and housing. It's not easy and can be a bit stressful. Just take your time and be mindful of how much force you're using.