R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Which year/model is best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joylove
Crossing the center line to get a better view before a corner (when safe and legal to do so) is part of British police driver training.
Crossing the center line on a hill or curve where marked with no passing zone stripes is illeagle and just plain stupid in the United States, irregardless of those "less inspired".

Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
...and LEO driving calls for extraordinary tactics upon occasion that civilians don't need to mess with.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
Crossing the center line on a hill or curve where marked with no passing zone stripes is illeagle and just plain stupid in the United States, irregardless of those "less inspired".
It's the same in England. However if safe and legal to do so, I will often move to get a better view when traveling around a curve at speed.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 PM
whichcooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my 2006 Manual S. You can't beat the supercharged urgency.
I'm going to love mine too, that's what I just decided on

Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM
whichcooper
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove my 2006 S home today. Most fun I've ever had driving a car. Amazing.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Crossing the center line to get a better view before a corner (when safe and legal to do so) is part of British police driver training.
Last time I looked....your mini was NOT in hot pusiut of a criminal....and you did not have lights and sirens......simplely poor form, illegal, and unsafe. But I guess If cop does it...your feel entitled to be able to do it...or you would never have posted it........remember...some police tactics are done for the "common good" even if the individual tatatic is dangerous to some.....kinda of like why a cop shoots hollow points...you hope the shell deforms in the person you shoot... And does not hit the person behind them like with a full metal jacket....

Old 04-10-2014, 05:03 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by whichcooper
Congratulations!!! Have a blast!!

Old 04-10-2014, 06:33 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by whichcooper
Grats! Enjoy it.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Last time I looked....your mini was NOT in hot pusiut of a criminal....and you did not have lights and sirens......simplely poor form, illegal, and unsafe. But I guess If cop does it...your feel entitled to be able to do it...or you would never have posted it........remember...some police tactics are done for the "common good" even if the individual tatatic is dangerous to some.....kinda of like why a cop shoots hollow points...you hope the shell deforms in the person you shoot... And does not hit the person behind them like with a full metal jacket....
+1
And in addition, visit a few Tail of the Dragon web sites and then keep convincing yourself that it's OK to cross the line on curves. There are bones in them thar ditches.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Yeah, positioning your car to get a better view, making for a safer drive, is exactly the same thing as shooting people. Gotta love Americans.

I don't know how you think moving before a tight corner TO IMPROVE YOUR VIEW can make you unable to see oncoming traffic.

In fact the polar opposite, saying tight for the entry a tight corner, gives you the least options and the worst exit trajectory.

Because, you know, momentum and inertia are real things.

You should get a nice mustang, go REALLY FAST on the straights and BRAKE TO WALKING SPEED for corners. It's the only way not to die in a fireball, clearly.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:36 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Yeah, positioning your car to get a better view, making for a safer drive, is exactly the same thing as shooting people. Gotta love Americans.

I don't know how you think moving before a tight corner TO IMPROVE YOUR VIEW can make you unable to see oncoming traffic.

In fact the polar opposite, saying tight for the entry a tight corner, gives you the least options and the worst exit trajectory.

Because, you know, momentum and inertia are real things.

You should get a nice mustang, go REALLY FAST on the straights and BRAKE TO WALKING SPEED for corners. It's the only way not to die in a fireball, clearly.
So we go from a guy enjoying his new MINI to stereotyping Americans???

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
So we go from a guy enjoying his new MINI to stereotyping Americans???
Do you feel stereotyped? UK police don't have guns and the mustang is available in both countries.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Don't know where I would have got the idea you were generalizing.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
Don't know where I would have got the idea you were generalizing.
It's true I was generalizing there.

Anyway I'm dropping out of this argument, I don't have much positive stuff left to post that isn't repeating my early replies. You can PM if you need to.

Good luck OP with your new vehicle!

Old 04-13-2014, 05:30 AM
TREX
4th Gear
You know we all like to drive our cars in a "spireted" way, but on public highways we should not be driving in a reckless manor and certainly shouldn't be driving like we are racing on a closed circuit raceway.
There is absolutely no reasonable excuse for crossing the centerline going into a curve and puting lives in danger.
Why would one need to get a "better view" before intering a tight curve, your not going to see around that curve. That's why they have those no passing zones on curves, to keep idiots from crossing center line and having a head-on with some unfortunate soul.
And as far as an "exit trajectory", that's fine as long as you are not driving in reckless manor that indangers others on a public roadway, but you are NOT on a race track and should not be pushing it to the point others may be harmed.