R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Moss Rear Spoiler for Cabrio: Who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moss Rear Spoiler for Cabrio: Who's done it?

This is not the one that Brownflyer made - it's a peice from Moss.

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...eIndexID=47961

They claim that it fits on the 1st Gen cabrio, but I've never seen a pic of it installed. Has anyone seen one, and if so, do you have photos? I've emailed Moss for a copy of the installation insatructions and hopefully better photos.

Hopefully someone has something - thanks in advance!!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont see why it wouldnt fit. It mounts to the boot hatch.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Yeah, but does it block either the brake light or necessitate removal of the MINI logo? Brownflyer's initially had issues with both - later he made it with a center brake light, but the MINI logo needed to be removed and relocated - that's why I never pulled the trigger on it.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Moss sent me some new photos - looks like the brake light AND the center logo are retained with this design (although I do worry that it might be partially obfuscated behind the upper edge of the lip on the cabrio - somehting that's obviously not an issue with the tin top).

As per the mounting instructions, you just drill 3 9/32" holes and mount with gaskets, washers and screws. Looks pretty simple - definitely a "maybe". If someone has actually installed this peice though, I'd love to see your (hopefully better) photos!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Bang110
5th Gear
I have been thinking about this wing. But I haven't seen anyone with it on. I'm requesting pics also.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if it would keep the boot cleaner. I kind of like it. I'd like to see pictures on a 'vert and with the top down please.
On Cabrios there is no space between the boot door and the brake light, just a seam - wonder if that would make a difference.

Last edited by MiniMaybee; 04-16-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
I mailed both the supplier for pics on a cabrio, AND Moss to find out their return policy of the wing does not fit properly - the 3rd brake light is my main concern, yes.

This is looking quite promising, but the rear of the cabrio IS different despite their assurances that it should fit. We'll see...

And I can only assume that it would help with the dirt in the rear, if only a little bit. It's not like it can be much WORSE, right?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
More pics, this time from the manufacturer:

Looks like it DEFINITELY blocks the 3rd brake light - a truck might see it from their higher vantage point, but maybe not. This is on a show car it looks like, so no biggie blocking it, but I drive my car every day.

I wonder how hard it would be to router-out a notch in the trailing edge of the fin and then lay an LED strip inside? Hook it to the brake light power leads and you have a 3rd brake light that nobody cold miss.

Now I'm more torn than ever. Hrmmm...

PS - Moss said returns are fine so long as it's re-sellable, so there's no risk if anyone's been pondering taking a chance on ordering one. For $150 plus paint, the price certainly is right...

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-16-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, that does look good. Matt, if anyone can figure out how to install a LED light it that it would be you!
So the wing then is attached to the boot door and the whole thing comes down when open. That would make wiring a little tougher.
BTW, after doing all that work to make the MINI look so good, you would think he would have removed the visor stickers.

Last edited by MiniMaybee; 04-16-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
I swear I saw that car at AMVIV, but after I parked I went looking for it and it wasn't there??? I remember seeing the spoiler and doing a double take...

That actually looks nice! and from the looks of the thickness of the edge, it would seem that you could embed a led strip there.

Running the wires is not too difficult. It just requires a bit of patience. You have to fish them from inside the boot and run them through the plastic weather sleeve from the boot to the body. It gets a bit tight in there. You won't be able to pull the third brake light wire from the alluminum frame where it runs through. It's a complete wiring loom that includes the rear window defroster wires. You just have to splice it by the left brake light and run it from there.

I think the biggest challenge would be running the wires from the spoiler into the boot w/o having to drill any more holes. With my spoiler, the debadging of the boot left 2 holes (wich the spoiler covers up) and I run the wire thru one.

I was hoping Frank (the gentleman I sold a spoiler to) would post pics of his but I haven't heard from him in a while. I suppose I could post mine with the 3rd brake light installed and the OEM third brake light deleted.

Sorry, Matt. Don't want to derail your thread. Back on topic!

I have to say, the MOSS spoiler does look good. I wonder how much it weighs?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
It's plastic, so I imagone not much.

PS - if you want this rear spoiler, but are waiting for the manufacturer to add a brake light LED strip into the trailing edge, send an email to:

Electrodyne Sales sales@electrodyne.cc

...and let them know your desire. They are Moss's supplier for the wing and have contact with the person who made the dies, so if enough people ask about it, maybe we can make it happen! Can you imagine a Group Buy on the "special edition" w/ tail light version?? Let's make it happen!

I'm still on the fence about MODding the stock one... I don't think I have the proper tools to not only router out the channel for the LEDs but also drilling a path for the wires. Hooking the LEDs to the brake lamp is simplicity - it's stealthing the wires and getting the LEDs to look good in such a visible spot that's tricky...

PS - I like Brownflyer's version better, actually, but I can't remove my MINI logo - some things I just won't do. But, hey, Brown - if you re-do the mounting points like Moss's, such that I don't have to remove the badge, let me know!!!

Last edited by ImagoX; 04-17-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I saw the one at AMVIV. In fact I hook up the lower center rear foglight as his third brakelight. The owner was a bit disappointed that it blocked the third brakelight. After seeing it in person I would not install one.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Why? Any reason beyond the 3rd brake light?

Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
It has nothing to do with the light. I just did not like the look. It looked a little cheesy to me. It was unpainted and flat black that may have some bearing on my feelings.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 AM
wmwade
Neutral
I have this spoiler on my 05 S conv. never thought about the brake light issue, it's painted black to match the car and I like it. I have pics from a recent show but I can't send them from work. (i have dial-up at home). it gets a lot of looks.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
bimmerbud
2nd Gear
Any new news of a wing w/ third brake light? Will it work w/ MINIFINI continental kit spare tire? AND does it keep dirt and dust off the back window and cabrio top?