R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 When I lock the car with remote, I can get out.. so whats th

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 12:19 AM
Fooo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep hearing people talk about not being able to get out of the MINI, whether they locked it from inside, or they used the remote or whop knows what.

But I tested it both ways. If I lock the MINI with the central locking, I can get out with 2 handle releases, like normal. If I lock the MINI with the remote, it does the same thing and also sets off the alarm siren.

So why did my dealer warn me not to lock people in with the remote? Is there some combination I'm missing or have they fixed this?

Old 03-18-2003, 08:58 AM
CCM
4th Gear
Is it just those of us w/ 2002's that have this issue then?

Old 03-18-2003, 09:03 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said on a previous discussion about this, I think that the warning is because someone not familiar with the MINI and the double-handle-pull thing might not try the handle more than once, and think that they're trapped. I guess the scenario seemed likely enough for the lawyers that wrote the manual...

Old 03-18-2003, 09:05 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
When you usethe remote you set the alarm. This is the feature of the alarm. If you want to lock the car and not set the alarm you need to do the following:

1. Close the drivers door.
2. From the passenger side press internal lock switch down to lock the doors.
3. Close the passenger door. The car is locked and the alarm is not set.

Have to do this when on the ferries in WA.

I also heard that if you press the locking on the remote twice it disables the motion sensors. I have not tried this yet.

Old 03-18-2003, 09:14 AM
retroom
4th Gear
I'm pretty sure it's normal for the door locks to not work from the inside when locking the car with the remote.

Look in the owner's manual I think it has this information in there.

retroom

Old 03-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Fooo
2nd Gear
Two things:

If you press the lock button twice on the remote, you'll disable the motion sensor and tilt sensor of your alarm I've heard - for ferries. No need to use the method you described mini-rolls as far as I know.

And all my passengers have to do the double unlock. My doors lock automatically when I start driving but they don't unlock automatically. I find this to be a fine feature. but it requires all my passengers to do the double door handle open thing so they already know.:smile: I thought about getting the unlock feature programmed but decided this an ok behavior.:smile:

My main question was why some people have said they physically couldn't get out of the car. They had made mention of trying to get out the boot. But none of that is required on my vehicle, so I was curious.:smile:

Old 03-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Calvin77
5th Gear
Ok, I tried this yesterday so everyone please be warned and take note.
I locked my car using the remote while I was still in it and tried "pulling twice".
I absolutely could not get out of the car until I unlocked it using the remote again. Pulling twice only works when the car has been locked using the toggle switch.
So if you lock someone in the car using the remote, THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET OUT OF THE CAR unless they crawl through the boot or break a window.
Be advised that if your MINI was built before October 2002, then crawling through the boot is not an option as these cars have no emergency boot release.