R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dealer prep/picking up my MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:03 PM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer prep/picking up my MINI!

Hopefully I'll be picking up my new MINI in the next month or so, and I'm finalizing a list of things I want taken care of before I pick it up.
  • Dealer programmable options:
    • central locking & unlocking,
    • lock again 2 min after unlocking
    • automatic lock after starting
    • automatic unlock after engine off
    • automatic unlock after removing key
    • sunroof 1-touch open/close
    • convenience opening (sunroof, windows)
    • daytime driving lights (not sure about this one ... ? Might be good for gloomy, overcast Seattle days. But I'm getting xenons, so I don't want to burn out the bulbs prematurely)
    • Low fuel chime enabled
    • Anything else?
  • Drain some/all of wiper fluid and replace with diluted solution (I've been reading about people's wiper fluid leaving trails in their paint! )
  • Don't mount front license plate bracket - I'm going to DIY with the tow hook mount.
  • When will I get my welcome kit?!
Also, my MA told me I could get a free accessory due to the fact that I was double-charged for my down payment. What should I get? I'm not quite sure what qualifies as an "accessory". Aux port? Floor mats? Hopefully I'll get something good!

Is there anything I'm missing that you think I should definitely do? Thanks!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pancakex
  •  
    • daytime driving lights (not sure about this one ... ? Might be good for gloomy, overcast Seattle days. But I'm getting xenons, so I don't want to burn out the bulbs prematurely)
    • Anything else?
  • When will I get my welcome kit?!
Congrats!

DRLs do not use the Xenon lights. DRLs use the High Beams (H7 halogens) by rapidly switching power on and off. DRLs are a GOOD thing.

Anything else ... Follow me Home lighting. I think you can program that

welcome kit. It comes when it comes ... 4 -8 weeks

Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
  • convenience opening (sunroof, windows)
  • Drain some/all of wiper fluid and replace with diluted solution (I've been reading about people's wiper fluid leaving trails in their paint!
Uh, so U live in Seattle? A tad wet there? Do NOT have this first option programmed in. The MINI key fob unlock button is very sensitive and it's VERY easy to place unwanted pressure on the unlock button (keys in pants, purse, etc.) to where your moonroof and windows will open unbeknownst to you some very rainy and wet Redmond day and you return to one soggy Cooper (then post a horror story on NAM about how much U hate the auto open). Trouble is, there are already are plenty of horror stories on NAM and M2 about this happening. It's OK for real hot and dry climes in the summer but it's freaking useless everywhere else.

To wit: I came back from a week long trip (to Seattle) and was shocked to find my MCS wide open in the classic "convinence opening", windows halfway down and moonroof halfway open--before I even pulled out my keys to disarm and unlock. Had it parked under covered parking in a secure lot so all was OK, but.... It must've happened on departure when I put my keys in my pants, accidently pressed my carry-on bag getting on the shuttle (or something like that) and +voila+ opened the car (and stayed open for one week) My dealer gives me one free shot at reprogramming and I immediately took advantage and disconnected this useless stupid lame option that borders on true nincompoopery in the name of "convienience" (but impresses the chicks )

And as far as the streaking goes, that's not from the washer fluids, it from the Cosmoline that's applied to the car before it's shipped from England (and taken off at the VDC Port Hueneme) to protect against the salt air/moisture. Problem is, it tends to collect and be almost impossible to get out of recessed areas like the wipers and nozzles, front and especially the rear. So don't waste your time diluting the fluid, have fun motoring in your new car! (and keep some good cleaning wax or rubbing compound around to deal with the Cosmoline. It usually goes away after the first few washes or Puget Sound typhoons.) Congrats! Jimbo

Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my daytime driving lights. I even think the 25% high beams look good, and not like you just forgot and left your lights on.

Are you aware of the "follow me home" headlight option. If it's the same as my '03 the headlights can be programmed to stay on for 40, 60, or 90 seconds after you turn off the car and turn the lights off. I picked 40 seconds cause it seems like a long time when you are looking back to make sure they turned off.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:18 AM
pancakex
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Uh, so U live in Seattle? A tad wet there? Do NOT have this first option programmed in. The MINI key fob unlock button is very sensitive and it's VERY easy to place unwanted pressure on the unlock button (keys in pants, purse, etc.) to where your moonroof and windows will open unbeknownst to you some very rainy and wet Redmond day and you return to one soggy Cooper (then post a horror story on NAM about how much U hate the auto open).
Ooh, good point! Maybe I will skip the automatic open programming

And good advice about the cosmoline stuff.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:27 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
What should I get? I'm not quite sure what qualifies as an "accessory". Aux port? Floor mats? Hopefully I'll get something good!

Is there anything I'm missing that you think I should definitely do? Thanks!
Try for the arm rest. I had a loaner with one and it was in the perfect position. I'm just not in the position to shell out $200+ for one.