R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Clearbra's or Leathers, Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearbra's or Leathers, Which One?

Alright, so, i understand that their must be over 10 threads about which is better: a clearbra or a leather bra...but i'm kinda of in a different situation.

This morning i took the time to look at the bonnet of my car and noticed many small time chips and a few "look at me, i'm 5 meters away from your car and i can see that nasty chip" chips (alright enough with the chips). Now keep this is mind...

1) I live in Montreal, with nasty winters;
2) I drive on a daily basis...HWY...streets...nothing fancy;
3) I noticed more construction going on around my area;
4) I don't drive behind rigs, cement trucks, fillers etc.;
5) I don't throw rocks at my car;
6) It's a Hyper Blue Metallic paint;

Well, i'm sure you get it. it so bad, that i force myself not to wash the car for a month and make the dirt cover those chips (well, that doesn't make matters any better). So, i now i turn to all of you and ask you, which is better, a clearbra from 3M or another manufacture, or a leather bra...
One more thing, i heard that the clearbra needs attention especially during the winter and the leather can cause damage to the bonnet.

Wait wait one last thing...i have a chip on my freakin' bonnet strip...and i can see it WHENEVER IM DRIVING!

Thank you all for your time,

Giancarlo

PS: you think maybe a clearbra bikini would look good on my g/f? (don't know where that came from)

Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Neither one on the car, but definitely the clearbra for your girlfriend!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:44 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leather Bra?

I believe those are called paint scratcher, not bra's.

oh yeah, and dont leave it on for more than a month, you will take it off any notice a difference in paint color.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
alright...so far i got...yes for the clearbra on my g/f and say no to the leather...and no to both...right...

Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Mayim
4th Gear
Ha, sorry not to address the question with more input, I simply am not a fan of bras (on cars). If I had to choose, I would go clear just because it won't look as bad as the leather, but cars have been around for 100 years, and bras are relatively new to the industry. I understand your frustration with the chips, but so is life. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 PM
CooperGear
Banned
Neither! Forget both of them and save the $ to have your hood and bumper re-painted in a few years. This is what I plan to do. When I have this done I will have the bonnet stripes painted on as well. Sure, it will cost more in the long run but it will look WAY better. These cars are not collectors items and having original paint that is beat to hell is not going to help re-sale value.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and the clearbra bikini is the way to go!

Motor On

Old 04-29-2006, 12:23 PM
trico
6th Gear
How much is a respray? I've found harsh conditions will yellow many "clear bras". In addition, any repaint or damage to body work will require removal of the "clear bra". I'm not a big fan of bras . . . spent most of my adolescence trying to take them off girlfriends . . . don't want to put them on now

Old 04-29-2006, 12:35 PM
lexbomb
3rd Gear
FWIW, I've had a clear bra on mine since the beginning. (Nov 03) It still looks pretty good. It is starting to yellow very slightly over the white stripes, but not too bad. I'll probably have to replace it in another year or two.

From my experience, it is one of the best things I did. The paint and stripes underneath are still pretty much in pristine condition after 40K+ miles. I have had virtually no maintenence other than to Zaino right over the top of it. But, if you do Zaino it, be careful of the edge. The paste gets in there and creates a white line, you just have to make sure to buff it out thoroughly.

One thing I do like, is when those particularly stubborn bug guts get epoxied to the front, I don't even think twice about using my fingernail to scrape it off. I even had a red one that hit right on the stripe. If it weren't for the clear bra, it would have stained the stripe instead of the clear bra.

I had it done on the front half of the bonnet, both headlights, fog lights and turn signals, aero kit front, rocker panels, leading edge of the spoiler, and the first five inches of the roof above the windscreen. BTW, that strip on the roof protected it from a pretty nasty rock that bounced off the glass (cracked it) and up onto the roof.

Personally, I wouldn't even think of a vinyl bra. I saw an older car with one on and it looked like they didn't ever remove, clean, or maintain it. The paint was worn through to the steel underneath. If you do choose a vinyl bra, make sure you religiously maintain it so you don't damage the paint underneath. All it takes is a bit of sand between the bra and the paint and you can have big problems.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your MINI is well built, I'd just let it go braless.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:06 PM
mini552
4th Gear
I went with the clear bra on my '06 Cooper and like it a lot - the way you describe conditions in your area I think it will be money well spent. I've owned vinyl bras for other cars I've owned, and they were always a PITA - they trap dirt around the edges, trap moisture beneath them, etc. - also a pain to put on and off and store.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:55 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
While I agree a clear bra is best, a Colgen bra is a good option.
I have the Colgen and it works well, no problems others seem to have. I have had it on for many high speed trips and day-to-day driving, no problems.
If you have perfect paint and want to spend the money, go clear. If you want to keep your paint from getting worse for about $90, a Colgen is a good option.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:12 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
I have had mine just over 2 weeks now and I am definately getting the clear bra but in the mean time I have the leather one to give it protection as needed. I figured it would be a good thing to put on for a long trip as well for extra protection. If you take care of your MINI and its accessories I am sure you will make the right choice for your needs!

Old 04-29-2006, 03:12 PM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
Clear Bra

I went with a clear bra, due to prior cars with Colgan bras were too much work. Can't drive in the rain, collects lots of dirt on the felt side and just the effort of installing/removing.

Yes the clear bra is more $'s and yes I do have chips above the bra line, but hey it makes me happy. If I could cover my entire car, I would!

Either way, what ever keeps you driving.

Attached Thumbnails Clearbra's or Leathers, Which One?-cimg0131.jpg   Clearbra's or Leathers, Which One?-cimg0132.jpg  
Old 04-29-2006, 03:59 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm no fan of the leather route for all the reasons cited and the fact that, to me, it just doesn't look good, ruining the lines of the MINI bonnet.

I'd go braless or clear...in fact, I've done both. For the 1.5 years my MINI was braless and I did pick up a few tiny, nasty stone chips. Sadly, it was unavoidable. They bugged me, but I could live w/ them. Then the wreck happened and I got a new bonnet w/ fresh paint and, given my experience w/ the stone chips, also got a clear bra. I have not regretted it. Admittedly, I have little experience w/ harsh winter climates, but I do w/ bugs, dust, and sun and it's been really great 1.5 years in.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Hi Montreal MINI driver! I used to live there for a long time, and I know that the weather and roads are really hard on a car.

My MINI is protected by 3M clearbra and it is really great!! It does protect from small chips and you need to look really close to notice it.

PM me and I'll send you the best guy in Quebec to install it. He's a former 3M "teacher" for the installation. He only uses 3M tape.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i would definitely do the clearbra.

those faux leather bras will cloud up the paint in humid climates...and
as mentioned above, they do scratch the paint unless you are VERY
careful handling it.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
those faux leather bras
Dang, Ken, I mis-read and thought you said faux feather bras! Hadn't seen those! Weirdest thing was that my first thought was, given the right occasion, a MINI probably could pull off a feather bra. How many cars can do that!!!

I know, I'm an idiot sometimes!!

Old 04-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
I got my g/f a clearbra in the end...i thought it'll look good...

Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
Hi Montreal MINI driver! I used to live there for a long time, and I know that the weather and roads are really hard on a car.

My MINI is protected by 3M clearbra and it is really great!! It does protect from small chips and you need to look really close to notice it.

PM me and I'll send you the best guy in Quebec to install it. He's a former 3M "teacher" for the installation. He only uses 3M tape.
YES! Montreal!...hold on a second...your from Miami!...how could you!?........so how is it? you living the life? you party animal you!

Anyway, i'm still going to listen to what MINI drivers have to say...as for whoever posted so far, thanks for your patience.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gokartride
Dang, Ken, I mis-read and thought you said faux feather bras! Hadn't seen those! Weirdest thing was that my first thought was, given the right occasion, a MINI probably could pull off a feather bra. How many cars can do that!!!

I know, I'm an idiot sometimes!!

Old 04-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
Feather bra?? I try not to wonder...

Hey Ken, hows the BassLink from Infinity? and about your clearbra, what do you think about it? Works good enough for you?

Old 05-01-2006, 08:05 AM
DownSize
3rd Gear
please stay away from the leather, it'll give you more problems than it will solve. clear bras are definitly the best thing to hit the market in a long time. and dontlisten to all the myths about clear bra's , they arent true

Old 05-01-2006, 10:29 AM
C4
Banned
Clearbras are the only way to go in my experience. The Colgan Custom Vinyl black bras, while a high quality product if used and taken care properly, have a hard time preventing vinyl flapping at highway speeds on the top bonnet section, because the MINI's hood is very, very contoured and the bra has a hard time following the deeply sculpted bonnet.

I am very happy with my clearbra and has protected the front end of my '05 MCS effectively. I hate paint chips and have neither the time or patience to deal with them. I'll take the "line" of a clearbra any day of the week over the irritating sight of thousands of rock chips ruining the looks, paint and value of your car.

The choice is yours.... You either opt for the easier or the hard way to solve the problem.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
...blunt.........thanks guys

Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Col.Bobby
2nd Gear
Clear-Bra vs Vinyl Mask

I have a clear-bra on my 2005 MCS (hyperblue) and it is great... Expensive but great. I have always had vinyl bra on my 5 year old Subaru Outback, and it has worked great, (replaced with new after 3 years). In my opinion the vinyl has a "rugged" ambience, like for heading up logging roads or speeding down a recently oiled unpaved road in the country. These things look quite crude on a Mini, like maybe you're preparing for a ralley in Baja or something. The virtue of a clear-bra is that the owner can appreciate his car's beauty and still have equivalent protection against stone chips. I think your question practically answers itself if you present it as Clear-Bra vs Vinyl Mask .
Only a sadist would put a mask on his Mini!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:05 AM
mini_muscle
1st Gear
Just from a personal point of view, clear is the way to go. I find the leather ones to be tacky and they detract from the car.

I'm desparetly trying to keep my dad from putting one on his G35 Coupe

Quick Reply: R50/53 Clearbra's or Leathers, Which One?