R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 '05 MCS auto levelling headlamps STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
sjarvis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 MCS auto levelling headlamps STUCK!

My '05 MCS's headlamps (xenons) are stuck all the way down. When I turn car on, the lights come on normally and seem to move some (just from seeing the light shining on the driveway in front of me), but they don't level out. Nothing I do seems to have any effect on them.

Has anyone else out there ever encountered this? Is there a way to fix it without going in to a dealer? I'm 4 hours away from my dealer (and they're the closest one), and I'd like to avoid making that trip if I can. The car's not really driveable at night except around town where the streets are pretty well lit and/or I'm not going very fast.

Thanks!

Steven

Old 06-30-2005, 08:36 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
I don't know what the failure mode of the levelers is, but I'd assume that between full up and full down, full down would be the logical choice.

There are position sensors on the left rear and the right front suspension members. If one of them gets unhooked it might cause the levelers to go into failure mode.

Have you had any suspension work done lately? Like maybe springs? If so whoever did the suspension work may have failed to reconnect the sensors.

If it were me, I'd jack up the car and go looking for dangly bits at the top of the left rear strut and the right front strut.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 PM
sjarvis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
There are position sensors on the left rear and the right front suspension members. If one of them gets unhooked it might cause the levelers to go into failure mode.

Have you had any suspension work done lately? Like maybe springs? If so whoever did the suspension work may have failed to reconnect the sensors.
No suspension work at all. Heck, no performance mods period. She's bone stock. They just didn't level out when I turned it on tonight.

I'll check for the sensors tomorrow when I can see what I'm doing out there.

thanks,

Steven

Old 07-01-2005, 05:37 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
You said you adjusted them. Do you mean you turned the screw behind the bulb housings?

Old 07-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I had one of mine get all funky when I went off track. Look at the light anf the rear part should be more less ligned up with the rings toward the front of the light. If the rear section is pointing down you can probably fix it without going to the dealer ( I did )

If its pointing down ( or if it isnt ) open the bonnet and remove the high beam bulb ( dont touch it with your fingers ) reach inside th ehousing and see if the assembly is loose ( mine was ) if it is, just use your finger to push it up and it should snap/click back into place. If this does the trick and you have messed with th eadjuster bolts like I did just re align the lights with the adjusters and you are in business.

My light would turn on but was pointed 5 feet in front of the car and wasnt leveling.

Its worth a look but unless its already loose dont get carried away pushing on it and break it.

Good luck, let me know if it works or not.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:20 AM
sjarvis
1st Gear
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. But, nothing I tried worked. Other than the fact that they won't level up, everything seems to be correct. Looks like I'll be driving up to KC next weekend (which isn't all bad, by any means).

Steven