R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Topic Re-Hash... All-Season tires vs Winter (Snow) tires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Digression: If the MINI has a bonnet and a boot, as opposed to a hood and a trunk (hatch), shouldn't it also have tyres?)

I was looking for the origonal thread, but alas, I couldn't find it, so here's a new one. During a discussion about the winterability of a MINI, quite a few people said to just slap on some Winter (aka snow) tires, and you'll be fine. I posted that last I heard, snows are not that good on ice, but i wasn't sure... Here's what "The Straight Dope" says:

Ordinary snow tires, as the name implies, are designed for snow and not for ice. On black ice, they are no better than ordinary tires, and in some tests very slightly worse. Studded tires (tires embedded with metal studs to grip the snow and ice) are somewhat helpful, reducing stopping distance on ice by about 20% compared to ordinary tires. Tire chains are more helpful, reducing stopping distance by about 30% to 50%. But even with tire chains, stopping distance is still several times greater than on dry pavement with ordinary tires.
Just thought i'd let ya know...

Rocketboy_X
(OBTW, source URL is Straight Dope on Black Ice

Old 07-06-2002, 06:21 AM
Pamlico
3rd Gear
While regular snow tires are no better on ice than non-snow tires, those that are manufactured using a hydrophylic formulation (e.g Blizzaks) can provide shorter stopping distances on ice.

I had a set of Blizzaks on our last car and did notice that things were better on icy surfaces. You still slide, etc. on the ice, but there is a difference. The downside of the Blizzaks is that only the top few mm of the tread is hydrophylic and it can wear away quickly on dry roads. The remaining tread is a regular compound.

Old 07-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
My word... do you have this much trouble with your other cars? It's quite simple... Since you want the most traction on snow, (something usually associated with winter) you're going to slap some snow tires on. If you come across some ice, and imminent death is in your future, deal with it. Mini is a regular car, which should be treated just as any other car... well maybe with the exception of being washed, and photographed more than usual.

Old 07-06-2002, 11:55 AM
Rocketboy_X
6th Gear
>>My word... do you have this much trouble with your other cars? It's quite simple... Since you want the most traction on snow, (something usually associated with winter) you're going to slap some snow tires on.

Nope, no problems at all, why? :smile: But ice is always much more of a concern for me than Snow. Snow, you can see. Ice, you usually can't if you drive at night, because you run into the whole black ice problem. Or even the ice under the thin layer of show problem. I guess it just matters on what kind of winters you usually get. Snowy, or Icy.

Rocketboy_X

Old 07-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Tollag
4th Gear
Just slap on what you've got on your other cars, just in a size that fits... thats the only thing i'm trying to get across.