R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini Sound System Makes top 10

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:17 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Sound System Makes top 10

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/...nds.topten.5.*

Mini Cooper (Harman Kardon)
Considering the relatively reasonable sticker price on this roller skate on steroids, it's amazing how much they're able to pack into this vehicle. Case in point: the audio system. Yes, we admit the interior of the Mini is just slightly larger than a pair of AKG headphones. Still, this eight-speaker Harmon Kardon setup is one for the ages. In addition to its bounteous digital amplifier, the system boasts a built-in Digital Sound Processing (DSP) unit, speed-sensitive equalization and a really cool feature called "driver acoustic setting," which, at the press of a button, optimizes the sound for the driving position. The built-in equalizer offers four preset modes for customization of the sound, which, in conjunction with the DSP, should leave no user wanting. Order Option 674 for this kickin' little ground-pounder.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I tried to change my order to include the HK but found out "Dingo" was already built and on the boat. No notice from the Dealer! Anyway, I think the standard system ain't bad and it does play my mp3 cds. HK would have been nice tho!

Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Did MINI Upgrade the H/K Over The Years?

It's funny as we have an 03 MCS with the H/K sound system in it and it is terrible. The thing doesn't have much clarity and it won't go very loud at all. However, we also have an 05 MCS with the H/K system in it and that thing totally rocks! I'm in complete awe every time I listen to it. The system plays very loud (and clear), and the base really thumps for it not having a dedicated sub-woofer. We've had the 03 checked out at the dealer and they claim that it is within spec and that there is nothing wrong with it. However, I can't believe the difference between the two sound systems (which should be the same). The 05 has got to be the best sounding stock system I've ever heard. Thus, I wonder if MINI or H/K has made some improvements to the system over the years???

Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
sleepy_nokkie
2nd Gear
really ?? .. I don't think HK in MINI is that great .. so much different from my HK in my 3 series.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
It's funny as we have an 03 MCS with the H/K sound system in it and it is terrible. The thing doesn't have much clarity and it won't go very loud at all.
Same, kinda disapointed , my brother though the ohms werent correct , should we take it to the dealer?

liljack and matchbox

Old 02-08-2005, 09:18 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Jan 03 build HK (yes, one of the first ones off the assembly line). And it is plenty powerful/loud/clear enought. It rocks! I guess there's some bad apples in the batch every once and a while...

Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 AM
pc
1st Gear
I also have one of the first 03 H/K systems (Jan 03 ??). The sound is outstanding with very good base response. Its does'nt have the clairity of a high end aftermarket system or the base of a system with a subwoofer, However once its tuned for the type of music your listening to the sound is excelent.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
The Mini H/K system is one of the best that I've ever heard and I'm big into car audio. I just wish the speaker grills would stop breaking :(

Old 02-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by littlehandegan
Same, kinda disapointed , my brother though the ohms werent correct , should we take it to the dealer?

liljack and matchbox
I;m with ya on this! I thought it was just me... & XM!!!!!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:26 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
It could depend on the type of music you prefer. I listen to electronic Thump music and the power is amazing...it travels from the garage through all 2500 sq ft of our home so I can't play it loud after the family hits the sack

Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Shazam's white lightning
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
It could depend on the type of music you prefer. I listen to electronic Thump music and the power is amazing...
I do too. Maybe I've become deaf because of it, 'cause I get back in the car and notice how loud it really was when I left.... and I wanted it louder!!!

Maybe the Mini is saving me from myself!!!

Old 02-08-2005, 12:00 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the premium (non-Monsoon) factory audio in my Jetta and the HK was a bit of a let-down by comparison. I'm surprised to see the HK on a top-10 list, unless they were listening when the car wasn't moving. I think it sounds awesome at a stand still, but not when moving.

I think it has more to do with the construction of the car, and the amount of road noise you get at speed than the audio system itself.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
You're suppose to be listening to the engine when you're moving..not the stereo.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:35 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bee1000n
I think it sounds awesome at a stand still, but not when moving.I think it has more to do with the construction of the car, and the amount of road noise you get at speed than the audio system itself.
Actually I think the MINI is the quietest (road noise) car while on the freeway that I've ever owned!!

Also the HK is my first stereo that I've been able to hear CLEARLY while motoring at 75 MPH with the windows open (including the sunroof). Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:28 PM
C4
Banned
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Actually I think the MINI is the quietest (road noise) car while on the freeway that I've ever owned!!

Also the HK is my first stereo that I've been able to hear CLEARLY while motoring at 75 MPH with the windows open (including the sunroof). Pretty amazing if you ask me.
I agree with Dominic here. The MINI for being such squared off and brick like shaped car, there is virtually no wind noise and minimal wind noise at highway speeds!.

I love my HK stereo! I had it in my ex-'04 MCS and have ordered it again with my upcoming '05 MCS along with the MINI iPod adaptor. Can't wait!

Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree...even with a header and loud exhaust, I can't complain There is a difference between LOUD music and CLEAR music

Old 03-28-2005, 02:03 AM
C4
Banned
It's funny as we have an 03 MCS with the H/K sound system in it and it is terrible. The thing doesn't have much clarity and it won't go very loud at all. However, we also have an 05 MCS with the H/K system in it and that thing totally rocks! I'm in complete awe every time I listen to it. The system plays very loud (and clear), and the base really thumps for it not having a dedicated sub-woofer. We've had the 03 checked out at the dealer and they claim that it is within spec and that there is nothing wrong with it. However, I can't believe the difference between the two sound systems (which should be the same). The 05 has got to be the best sounding stock system I've ever heard. Thus, I wonder if MINI or H/K has made some improvements to the system over the years???
May be you had bad speakers on the '03 MCS?

Old 03-28-2005, 02:05 AM
C4
Banned
Lotsa plastic in the interior...

Originally Posted by bee1000n
I had the premium (non-Monsoon) factory audio in my Jetta and the HK was a bit of a let-down by comparison. I'm surprised to see the HK on a top-10 list, unless they were listening when the car wasn't moving. I think it sounds awesome at a stand still, but not when moving.

I think it has more to do with the construction of the car, and the amount of road noise you get at speed than the audio system itself.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
we have an 03 MCS with the H/K sound system in it and it is terrible.

we also have an 05 MCS with the H/K system in it and that thing totally rocks!

We've had the 03 checked out at the dealer and they claim that it is within spec and that there is nothing wrong with it.
Hmmm.... sounds like they just wanted to get you outta there. Have you tried a different dealership? This should be handled under warranty. Tell them, if they don't know what to do, is first to replace the head unit. If that doesn't clear it up for you, then tell them to replace the DSP unit. If that's not it, then it's either the wiring or the speakers. Process of elimiation. If they don't want to take the time to do one component at a time, tell them to "shotgun" it. Replace everything at once, and see if it improves. Remember you paid a premium to get the uprated sound system. Don't let them stiff you!

Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM
HailUnc33
1st Gear
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I don't know much about the Mini yet but each day I learn something new from this website. What's the difference between getting the HK and the base stereo system? What's the price difference? And finally if it is more expensive is it worth it? Thanks I am still learning day by day.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
I ordered the HK option on my '97 328is, and it stank to high heaven. I swapped out the head unit for an Eclipse, though, and it is very good now.

However, as others have observed, the '04/05 HK systems I've heard sound very good. I've listend to the Dave Holland Quintet to Slipknot, and both sound pretty good. This is one of the deal makers for me!

It's funny as we have an 03 MCS with the H/K sound system in it and it is terrible. The thing doesn't have much clarity and it won't go very loud at all. However, we also have an 05 MCS with the H/K system in it and that thing totally rocks!

Old 03-28-2005, 09:10 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think with about 200 dollars in dynamat, my H/K will sound a million times better. the doors seem to resonate alot of unwanted sound. the rears could use a bit to keep the bass going the right direction!!!

Old 03-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much does that much dynamat weigh? I heard that stuff weighs a decent amount

Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do all the H/K systems have "the driver dynamic thingy ?"

How do you set it ???

Old 03-28-2005, 10:56 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dynamat isnt that heavy, just have to use it in the right places and not throw it in every crevice on the car to reduce noise. most of the time, the extra crap you'd throw in, might not even do anything.

it needs it in the doors BAD. i'm gonna slap down 40 bucks for some tomarrow and see if ti makes any difference in the doors

i think the driver dynamic thingy is when you turn driver on or off. it simple redistributes the music to benefit the driver, not passengers.