R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 New to me 2003 Mini Journey

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 05:48 AM
CRC
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefM
Thanks!\
CRC sent it to me and I really like it. I wonder what the shift surround and cup holders would look like in black now.
My '06 originally came with the chrome trim rings, but I never really liked them. Too "cheesy" looking. So I changed them all for the Anthracite style rings instead. Much better with the Anthracite interior. I also relocated the Rally Light switch from the drivers knee bolster to the centre console.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:30 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Received 339 Likes on 238 Posts
That look awesome!
I might be looking into getting some of those trim rings. The grey is OK but I think that looks much better to me.

After diving into the cooling system leak it seems the top radiator hose just popped off. A new clamp and some water and I will now be able to make it home this afternoon. I’ll just park on the pad and get ready for the new water pump and radiator this weekend. My wife would tease me unmercifully if she had to come get me, that would make her day.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:08 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Here is the massive leak I had this morning.

I got a pretty good head start today getting it all pulled apart. Other than knocking over my antifreeze drain pan it went fairly smooth.

Old 10-14-2021, 05:50 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
The first thing I notice in the top photo is that you get to work too early. Glad the leak wasn't more serious.

The following users liked this post:
tcbrady (10-20-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 07:01 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
I work 6 Am to 2 PM, 8 straight. I am always up early anyway because I was in the Army for so long so it's a perfect shift for me. It also gives me time to do a little bit of stuff in the afternoon.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:50 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CRC
My '06 originally came with the chrome trim rings, but I never really liked them. Too "cheesy" looking. So I changed them all for the Anthracite style rings instead. Much better with the Anthracite interior. I also relocated the Rally Light switch from the drivers knee bolster to the centre console.
Your going to end up making me order new interior stuff in Anthracite!!

I installed the new water pump , radiator and hoses today. The hoses were a real pain in the butt, especially the small one from the block to the water pump. I also got the car put back together!! I still need to put in the push plug things in the fender wells and add coolant and bleed the system.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:24 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Another win with the new cooling system, no leaks! I do believe my very small oil leak is coming from the drivers CV axle seal not the rear main. USPS found my package that has my alarm bracket for the roof, supposed to be delivered next week. The Airbag module out of a 2003 should also be delivered next week. It would be so awesome to finally get the airbag light out, fingers crossed.

Old 10-18-2021, 12:20 AM
WolfUSAR
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say, reading your journey so far has given me hope in restoring my 03 back to its former glory. I believe it to be my alternator that finally went today, there’s been a racket from the front of the engine for about a week and she’s still sitting at work. I’m hoping it’s a simple fix, the wife’s brake pads disintegrated a day or two ago and I have that to work on tomorrow as well

Old 10-18-2021, 02:06 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Glad that I could inspire you!
In a day where everything made to be throw away it is been fun to bring something back to it's formal glory. The guy I bought it from was going to take it to the scrap yard if I didn't buy it, CarMax had offered him $400 dollars for it.. I think of it as my Mini rescue mission!! I don't see hardly any first gen mini's so it's great to have something different.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:50 AM
WolfUSAR
1st Gear
I had bought it a few years ago well under blue book value and I’ve had a lot of things to fix since then. The previous owner thought themself a tuner and messed a bunch of things up and I’ve spent some money getting it right again. The year I bought it I put some old Motegi wheels on it with some new tires. This last year I put a cold air intake and a full aftermarket exhaust system on but done right. I had to replace the speakers and head unit but I had to run all new wires because there were bad wires in the harness for the speakers and I believe the original stereo had been stolen. Miscellaneous small things replaced and many more on the list to be done yet. Allmag is a great resource for used parts and they’re great people that’ll help you get just about anything.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:44 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
I am pretty much doing the same thing by doing all the past due repairs and neglected maintenance. I am still way under what I see on Craigslist for sale. I have been looking at Allmag.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:57 PM
WolfUSAR
1st Gear
Well I think by now I’m over blue book with what I put in but aftermarket parts will do that quick. Just did the alternator today, went to put my tools away and close the hatch and snapped one of the hinges off… if they’re rusted, might want to replace them both. Just don’t drop the socket or one of the nuts

Old 10-19-2021, 01:41 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
There are a few dents and some minor hail damage but no rust from have I've seen so far. The mini cooper engine oil under carriage rust prevention system was working very well for many years before I bought the car.

The alarm bracket finally arrived yesterday that the post office lost for over a week. The airbag module is in Atlanta and it should be delivered today or tomorrow. Those won't get installed till Sunday, I have to replace a bad eve on the mom in-laws house on Saturday. I ordered the remote control module and hope to get the keyless entry working again. I also need to get a door lock module for the passenger door. If I get those 2 things working and I get the 2 A pillar covers I will good for a while. I can collect parts over the winter.

The end of the radiator was cracked where the upper hose connects and I think that's why the hose popped of last week. No worries now that all that is new.

Last edited by ChiefM; 10-19-2021 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
SRS module arrived today, It is for a 2014 BMW 1 series, not even close to the part number I ordered. Grrrrr.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:56 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
The guy and I emailed and somehow there were 2 shipments that day, seems someone got my Mini SRS module instead of a BMW module and I got their module. Anyway they are sending me another module out of an R50 and hopefully that will solve the airbag light once and for all.

Keyless entry radio should be arriving early next week! That would be awesome to get that working again.

The car seems to be running a lot better lately for some reason. It still runs rough on first start up but after scouring the forum that seems to be a normal thing. But it idling rough and it wanting to die at stop lights is getting a lot less frequent. Happens now and then but not as often.

Last edited by ChiefM; 10-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:14 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Well this was totally unexpected.... Startled the cr#p out of me when it peeled back and slapped the side window as it quickly departed the vehicle at 70 MPH.. I now know what I am ordering next.

Old 10-21-2021, 01:41 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Left and right A pillar trim is on order. The right one is cracked too so might as well replace as a pair.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Those tend to get glued down or double sided foam taped back on upon windscreen replacement as the techs that typically do this job don't bring new clips.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:12 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
They were both old and cracked from top to bottom, the drivers decided to let loose first. The new ones have the clips included so I should not have anymore scary incidents going down the highway. Now playing the waiting game. Have to move some stuff with my Escalade so the Mini will sit for a few days anyway.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:42 AM
ernesto rex
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can help but think that the best day in this MINI's life is when it found you.

Love this thread. Thank for taking the time to share this journey with us.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ernesto rex
I can help but think that the best day in this MINI's life is when it found you.

Love this thread. Thank for taking the time to share this journey with us.
Thank you very much!! I think we were both got lucky.
I have really enjoyed fixing her back up to the way she should be and driving it. Some cars are just transportation and some are works of art. I think of this one as a little piece of art. More to come, in a little bit of a parts break right now.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:29 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
I ordered all new wheel bearings for all 4 corners. Pretty sure I have at least one and probibly more making noise but I can't pin point it exactly. Pretty sure they are all original and I figured with 158 thousand it was way past time to replace them. When I do the front bearings I will replace the leaky CV axle seal and that should be the last of anything leaking on the car. The keyless radio module processed thru Atlanta USPS and hopefully will be delivered today. It will be at least another week before the SRS module comes in. Waiting on the A pillar covers to come in along with the steering wheel cover. Going to try and drop a corner of the headliner this morning and install the bracket for the alarm thingy and finally get the big hole covered up.

After looking on real OEM I realized yesterday that the metal piece that goes under the windshield can be removed and is not welded onto the car. Mine has a pretty good dent along with both the small fenders. If I can find some good used ones in black after the holidays those might be next.

Last edited by ChiefM; 10-23-2021 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:28 AM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Did you order OEM or aftermarket bearings? I need to do them on my son's Paceman but genuine Mini are very expensive.

Old 10-23-2021, 05:42 AM
ChiefM
5th Gear
I ordered them from Detroit axle on Amazon. I have been using there stuff for years with no issues and they have a 10 year warranty. All 4 for less than 200 bucks, that’s a deal.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:12 PM
ChiefM
5th Gear

Yay!! I got the big hole covered up!! I fixed the ends and it looks much better now. I even cleaned the headliner too.

Decided that the black marks on all the pillars and the sun visors had to go. They were everywhere.

Much better !!

The keyless radio came in today but it's a bit too late to even mess with it right now. I got everything done at the mom in-laws so I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow and I can put it in.

The following 2 users liked this post by ChiefM:
ernesto rex (10-24-2021), ssoliman (10-23-2021)

Quick Reply: R50/53 New to me 2003 Mini Journey