R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Project "rice"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 612 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally Posted by JerBear
Hey man, LOVE this car! Looks dam good!

I had a couple questions though.
Do you have a link for the front lip you used? I know you said it was an eBay universal but if you have a link that'd be sweet.
Also, do your tires rub and is your suspension stock? You list your tire/wheel setup as "15x8 et25 with 5mm spacers and 205/55r15 street tires". I have 15x8 et20, no spacers, and 205/60-15 tires, they rub pretty bad on hard corners or big bumps. The rear is worse than the front. I'm running Bilsteins with stock springs.
I dont have any rub issues what so ever , I belive my suspension is stock sportplus from what i can tell. Here's a link to what looks like the lip I used , I just added the supports my self. The lip lined up very well and I was actually impressed with its fitment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-MINI-CO...AAAOSwP4ZZwGA7

Old 08-06-2020, 02:25 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks for the link! I was on eBay for quite awhile yesterday after reading through your thread. I couldn't find one quite like you have but it looks like it was made for it so I wanted to get the same one. Your tires not rubbing is interesting. I wonder if going from a 60 series tire to a 55 is enough? I'm also not sure I entirely understand wheel fitment as far as offsets are concerned. They way I understand it (and I'm probably wrong ) is my et20 should be the same as your et25 with a 5mm spacer.

Anyway, I love what your doing with your car, keep the posts coming! I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying the read. Us noobs get inspiration for our builds from people like you that take the time to share what you did and how you did it.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:48 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 263 Posts
That is the power of a forum and the reason why pictures + videos are so valuable

Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Thanks for the link! I was on eBay for quite awhile yesterday after reading through your thread. I couldn't find one quite like you have but it looks like it was made for it so I wanted to get the same one. Your tires not rubbing is interesting. I wonder if going from a 60 series tire to a 55 is enough? I'm also not sure I entirely understand wheel fitment as far as offsets are concerned. They way I understand it (and I'm probably wrong ) is my et20 should be the same as your et25 with a 5mm spacer.

Anyway, I love what your doing with your car, keep the posts coming! I'm sure I'm not the only one enjoying the read. Us noobs get inspiration for our builds from people like you that take the time to share what you did and how you did it.
I actually ran 60s and did have rubbing issues. Switching to 55s fixed that, I only get rub IF I have an additional 250+ lb in the car. It takes 3 midsized people for it to rub. With me 160lb my wife 140lb and my daughter 60lb it will ONLY BARELY rub on big big bumps and 2 adult passengers its fine but also my tire design too might help as some the tread sits further out.. its hard to explain but ille take some pics of clearence m such if ud like.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM
JerBear
4th Gear
I love pictures! So yes please, if its not too much of a pita. My front tires barely rub and very rarely at that. I'm hoping the I.E. camber plates I just bought will fix that. The rears are worse. Looking at how far down the sidewall they rub its obvious that they are tucking up into the fender but still barely scraping. I'm not crazy about adding too much more camber to the rear but I might try a set of control arms and see if I can get it to tuck in just enough to clear. I plan to buy a bigger rear sway bar too (hopefully very soon) so that might reduce some of the rubbing from cornering too (less body roll). I'd honestly rather just sell this wheel/tire setup and go with a 195-205/50-15 on a 15x6.5 rim. I have an R50 so any weight advantage I can get is a plus.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:59 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
I love pictures! So yes please, if its not too much of a pita. My front tires barely rub and very rarely at that. I'm hoping the I.E. camber plates I just bought will fix that. The rears are worse. Looking at how far down the sidewall they rub its obvious that they are tucking up into the fender but still barely scraping. I'm not crazy about adding too much more camber to the rear but I might try a set of control arms and see if I can get it to tuck in just enough to clear. I plan to buy a bigger rear sway bar too (hopefully very soon) so that might reduce some of the rubbing from cornering too (less body roll). I'd honestly rather just sell this wheel/tire setup and go with a 195-205/50-15 on a 15x6.5 rim. I have an R50 so any weight advantage I can get is a plus.
no prob man , if anytime I can help I try, I will snap some pics tonight if lighting allows if not tomorrow morning .
I would go as wide as you can on the rim btw . I feel these cars need as much tire to pavement contact as possible .
and if you did camber the wheels it would for sure help tuck them. a recamber on my buddies r56 was enough on stock stuff to stop his setup from rubbing as he's running a 215 wide and drop springs.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:39 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
OK thanks for the info. A set of control arms would be cheaper than a whole new wheel/tire setup and I do like the way these look, although the set I have in mind would shave another 6.5 lbs of unsprung weight off each corner. I think I'll try control arms and a bigger RSB and go from there. I can always drop the tire size to what your running too when this set wears out. Thanks for the response man it's a huge help.

And sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Old 08-08-2020, 06:16 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
OK thanks for the info. A set of control arms would be cheaper than a whole new wheel/tire setup and I do like the way these look, although the set I have in mind would shave another 6.5 lbs of unsprung weight off each corner. I think I'll try control arms and a bigger RSB and go from there. I can always drop the tire size to what your running too when this set wears out. Thanks for the response man it's a huge help.

And sorry I didn't mean to hijack your thread!
No need to apologize, thats why I'm here . Get knowledge and pass it on when possible. Ille snap em pics soon

Old 08-08-2020, 09:36 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Got everything painted and cleaned up under the hood I wanted too and it all turned out nice, imo I like the contrast that the aluminum mounts are now black and hide so the intercooler and intake stand out more and then i did the support bars all red as well as the bushing canister because DUH , red means performance (and its my favorite color).
also I snapped a few pics of the fitment on my tires to better show how they sit. I think these ebay tires design helps . They even have a ridge/lip thing to prevent you from curb rashing your rims and then the tread is set kinda back almost staggered or something.
I also might not be getting rub because I do have the sportplus suspension on the preface lift which people actually complained it was too stiff(geez) and I have the front and rear support bars which may help.
BUT DO NOT GET THESE TIRES. Look nice, ride comfortably but ARE GARRRRRBAGE. The treads worn down fast as F as you see my front are almost done and ive put like 7 months on them maybe and like 25k miles MAX. They also don't provide even decent traction , just suck. Ive learned my lesson about cheap tires, THATS ONE THING you CANNOT skimp on. They make a huge difference in performance , just tires alone !

Old 08-08-2020, 10:10 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
Thanks for posting those pictures. And your motor looks dam good! All in the details.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:45 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Hehe snagged both these for 35$ only on sale so im gonna need a torque wrench on hand so just bought a cheapo that's actually very nice. Tested it with a snap-on one and it was same torque specs as it so im sure its all calibrated correctly and the little hat light , heck YA its bright and no more having to aim light where I need. It will always be lit anywhere I'm glancing around now..CMON HEAD ! I can't wait to get it.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:22 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
More tools is always better :P

Old 08-10-2020, 03:04 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
More tools is always better :P
What he said!

Old 08-10-2020, 01:02 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Here's videos to better show it and let you guys hear it.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:02 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
The R87 double spoke I have right now are a 5.5j and weigh about 15.3kg with 205-55-16 tyres with about 5mm profile on them. The tyres are a bit wide, 195 is advised as a maximum for 5.5j.

The following users liked this post:
ssoliman (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:34 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
I Rotated the tires and cleaned the inside of the rims , well. My daughter did ! Free works the best work.

The following 2 users liked this post by MiniManAdam:
cmt52663 (08-14-2020), ssoliman (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Family time is good time

Old 08-12-2020, 10:30 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nd-photo.nl
Family time is good time
4 sure ! Almost anytime im out working on the car shes helping.
I also got my porting tool, I will get a porting bit from harbor freight soon enough. I grabbed this cheapo dremel because I had to return something anyways plus it was 20% off and theres nothing else of use in that store for me so I figured to spend it on at target , ugh , hate target . Lol

Old 08-14-2020, 08:57 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
I got my porting tool from Lidl LMAO!!! so don't feel bad. Worked well though. And it came with a long flex attachment that made porting the intake a lot easier

Old 08-14-2020, 09:10 AM
JerBear
4th Gear

This was my first attempt at porting. I was just messing around with an old set of iron mustang heads. I want to get an R53 head (better valves), port it, and slap it on my R50.

Last edited by JerBear; 09-16-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:10 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Returned the torque wrench and dremmel for what's pictured below . THE GUY AT HARBOR FREIGHT GAVE ME THE DIGITAL TORQUE BOX FOR FREE FOR STANDING UP FOR HIM TO A JERK CUSTOMER, LOL long story but seriously.
the porting tool i ordered seems much more heavy duty and fits larger size shanks, i also bought porting bits, lol all he rang up .lol coooooool . Glad theres still cool people left out there.
that 40$ i just saved will be re invested into this head job im planning on.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:27 PM
JerBear
4th Gear
Oh that tool you ordered looks mad sweet! I like the chuck on it too! And for porting (or polishing) harbor freight also sells a sandpaper roll kit for small rotary tools. That's what I use for polishing ports. They work great. I will say I have never polished an aluminum head, only iron, so maybe I shouldn't comment on the subject lol.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:52 PM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Low-speed setting on my fan went out so im sure its the resistor so I strait wired it with a switch n stuff to run on high-speed until the replacement arrives.
my map sensor also went bad and what a pita it was diagnosing and figuring it out but lol I'm glad it did because now that they have been cleaned I swear to GOD it makes the car pull so much harder, either that or tightening my belt more helped bit either way man,damn. Rolling at 5mph and full gunning it within a few seconds i have to let off as im hitting 80-90 and still pulling hard . It sqeals them going into 2nd now harder than it ever has and shifting into 3rd it bucks the car forward n back , lol its fricken awesome !
I HIGHLY suggest cleaning both map sensors guys. BOTH mine were pretty dirty,i used mafs cleaner..
from what I've been taught and have read you actually don't want a full polish but actually like a 100 grit. So a little rough not perfectly smooth on the intake side.. exhaust im pretty sure should be polished. Thats what i did on my tbird back when and i was happy with the results after.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:12 AM
nd-photo.nl
6th Gear
Which one did you buy, there are 2 types.

-Old type, which is known to fail over time

-New type

Old 08-17-2020, 03:10 AM
JerBear
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniManAdam
from what I've been taught and have read you actually don't want a full polish but actually like a 100 grit. So a little rough not perfectly smooth on the intake side.. exhaust im pretty sure should be polished. Thats what i did on my tbird back when and i was happy with the results after.
I believe you are correct. Those pictures I threw up there are before and after on an exhaust port. I'll polish the exhaust side but only port the intake side. I did a set of GT-40's for a mustang. With a basic valve job, better valve springs, ported GT-40 intake, F303 cam, 3400 stall and 4.10 gears it went 11.3 in the quarter on street tires. It had major traction issues lol. That motor only last about 300 miles and I split the block in half right down the valley! Something to do with revving it to 8000 rpm I think ha ha.

But all that to say, if done right, there are some huge gains to be made with porting.

Last edited by JerBear; 09-16-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Project "rice"