R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 PO2096 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 11:58 AM
alconk
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
PO2096 code

Can someone please help me get rid of this code 2096. I t says bad 02 sensor (post) so replaced it and still can’t get rid of the code. I bought the special cable that goes to the laptop with disk and loaded the IMPA but only goes to the 2002 R50. I need this code gone! I even took to to a import shop and they told me that I needed a tune with my mods. Maybe so but they weren’t able to clear it either. Closest Mini dealer is 2.5 hrs away.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 260 Likes on 194 Posts
What are your mods?
If you've made exhaust mods, depending on what they are, you can get this code.

Just for informational purposes, the ECU reads the variation between the pre & post CAT sensors to verify the CAT is working correctly.
​​​​​​ If you've changed the CAT, to something that isn't factory spec, the ECU reads this as a fault.
"Sometimes", the addition of an O2 spacer can help with this issue, but there are no guarantees that it will work.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:08 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
What are your mods?
If you've made exhaust mods, depending on what they are, you can get this code.

Just for informational purposes, the ECU reads the variation between the pre & post CAT sensors to verify the CAT is working correctly.
​​​​​​ If you've changed the CAT, to something that isn't factory spec, the ECU reads this as a fault.
"Sometimes", the addition of an O2 spacer can help with this issue, but there are no guarantees that it will work.
Just the typical sc puller, crank pulley Miltek exhaust and their header with cat. At first the only code I got was “catalyst below threshold “ which I was able to clear but would come back within a couple days. Then I read about the spacer so I bought it and installed. As soon as I started the car that’s when I got the 2096 but not till the spacer. I removed it and put the 02 back in the pipe. So what’s my options? I called the dealer and they want $160 for a few minutes worth of work. ( clearing the code) and I’m not doing that.

Old 01-21-2020, 02:41 PM
ladsjohn
2nd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Your local auto parts store should be able to clear that code for free.
Then run it without the spacer and see how you go.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:03 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 260 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by alconk
Just the typical sc puller, crank pulley Miltek exhaust and their header with cat. At first the only code I got was “catalyst below threshold “ which I was able to clear but would come back within a couple days. Then I read about the spacer so I bought it and installed. As soon as I started the car that’s when I got the 2096 but not till the spacer. I removed it and put the 02 back in the pipe. So what’s my options? I called the dealer and they want $160 for a few minutes worth of work. ( clearing the code) and I’m not doing that.
Ok, at least it tells you that it most likely is an issue with the CAT.
Since the ECU reads a variance, it also tells you that pulling the sensor as far as that spacer did, was too much.
Sound like the Miltek CAT was just barely doing enough, and now it has simply burned enough to get completely out of spec for the car
Simply clearing the code won't do it, it'll just come back, and you can't tune around a bad CAT code.

Personally, I'd look into reinstalling the factory CAT into the system. But, do some research with other Miltek owners, maybe they have found a fix.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
Ok, at least it tells you that it most likely is an issue with the CAT.
Since the ECU reads a variance, it also tells you that pulling the sensor as far as that spacer did, was too much.
Sound like the Miltek CAT was just barely doing enough, and now it has simply burned enough to get completely out of spec for the car
Simply clearing the code won't do it, it'll just come back, and you can't tune around a bad CAT code.

Personally, I'd look into reinstalling the factory CAT into the system. But, do some research with other Miltek owners, maybe they have found a fix.
I have a guy coming here on Thursday evening that works for a BMW dealer but told me that there equipment will not clear the code. He does have a fancy Snap On scanner that’s he thinks will clear it. If he can clear it I can live with the “catalyst under threshold “ code that I can clear. Unfortunately I tossed the original cat with the manifold when I got the new header. Reason being it had been welded on before and looked hideous.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:20 PM
alconk
4th Gear
Well unfortunately he wasn’t able to clear it with his $11k SnapOn tool but something weird he brought up. After he tried clearing it then it comes back as 02 lean. Well how can it sense that when the car is not running so could it be a bad ECU?

Old 01-24-2020, 06:08 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 166 Posts
...OK, so recap the exhaust has two O2 sensors, a Pre-CAT and a Post-CAT. SO the ECM reads the data from both sensors, you removed the CAT and now your Post-CAT sensor is not reading data within spec .... have you considered it is because the CAT is missing? I just reread what BlwnAway wrote and that pretty much sums it all up.

I would guess the reason the code can not be cleared is because the condition that throws the code is permanently there.

I would guess if you don't want to install the CAT, the other option would be to change the emission control coding on the ECM, and we all know how well that worked out for VW.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 01-24-2020, 08:00 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I had this code years ago on 2006 JCW. Only thing that kept the code from returning was replacing both O2 sensors.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
I’ve been getting this code Everytime i drove the car hard. I clear with with OBD Fusion App. It’s like Torque for iPhones.

I’m running catless headers spacer for the 02 sensor. Borla exhaust. 17% etc ...

i think it is running lean when i punch it. Even with 380cc.

hope this will all go away after a Cam , 550cc and bytronik tune.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:45 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 178 Likes on 166 Posts
One more thing ... Did you have the JCW ECM code loaded? The larger Injectors and JCW Head and Supercharger, come with the need of getting the JCW ECM code installed.

A few of our sponsors (for example Way Motor Works: https://www.waymotorworks.com/services.html look under: CUSTOM ECU/DME TUNING:) can also custom tune your ECM if required, you pack up and send them your ECM they apply the tune and send it back.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 01-27-2020, 06:06 AM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
One more thing ... Did you have the JCW ECM code loaded? The larger Injectors and JCW Head and Supercharger, come with the need of getting the JCW ECM code installed.

A few of our sponsors (for example Way Motor Works: https://www.waymotorworks.com/services.html look under: CUSTOM ECU/DME TUNING:) can also custom tune your ECM if required, you pack up and send them your ECM they apply the tune and send it back.

Best of luck.

Motor On!
i was under the impression having the JCW 380 don’t need a tune and your ECM Will adjust to it over time.

and yes any tune will make things better and tighter.