R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Help/advice with exhaust manifold probs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Whozyodaddy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help/advice with exhaust manifold probs!

So my stock exhaust manifold failed like many at the welds around the pre-cat. I didn’t want to dump a bunch of money into the car because I probably won’t keep it much longer and I ordered an EBay/amazon header with the test pipe/resonator.

I installed said Ebay/Amazon and it sounds like crap! It’s raspy and noisy and sounds like there is a leak and I hate it. There is also a horrible drone and vibration and lower RPMs. I double checked all the connection points at the manifold and the gaskets and all seems fine.

My next thought was that it may just be the lack of catalytic conv. that is creating the problem, so maybe pull the stock cat off of the OE manifold and have it welded up to replace test pipe. I found that no shops will touch it because it’s illegal to mess with the cat apparently.

Question now is...should I buy a used stock exhaust manifold or have a universal cat installed? Help!

Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Whozyodaddy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Addt’l

I talked to one shop about welding the stock manifold back together and he said that they have on VW’s several times and they end up coming back a few months later, broken

Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 259 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Whozyodaddy
So my stock exhaust manifold failed like many at the welds around the pre-cat. I didn’t want to dump a bunch of money into the car because I probably won’t keep it much longer and I ordered an EBay/amazon header with the test pipe/resonator.

I installed said Ebay/Amazon and it sounds like crap! It’s raspy and noisy and sounds like there is a leak and I hate it. There is also a horrible drone and vibration and lower RPMs. I double checked all the connection points at the manifold and the gaskets and all seems fine.

My next thought was that it may just be the lack of catalytic conv. that is creating the problem, so maybe pull the stock cat off of the OE manifold and have it welded up to replace test pipe. I found that no shops will touch it because it’s illegal to mess with the cat apparently.

Question now is...should I buy a used stock exhaust manifold or have a universal cat installed? Help!
Yes, most of what you're describing is typical of deleting the CAT.

Try seeing if they will weld the stock CAT on the new exhaust if "you" remove it from the old exhaust.
Either that or pull the new header back out and try to find a welding shop or home welder to do the work, instead of an exhaust shop that has to worry about the legality of it all.