R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini on meth?! 🤪

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:59 PM
meanmini135
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini on meth?! 🤪

Ok so if anyone can give me a rundown on how water and methanol injection works I would greatly appreciate it! I just bout my first mini, it has 15% pulley, CAI, and catback. I want to get W/M but i have no idea how it works and how to install it, All i know is that it makes your intake temps cooler. My car is a DD btw but I dont mind a little inconvenience for more power as I am a hardcore car guy.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Look at these I made.

The following users liked this post:
meanmini135 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:34 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by meanmini135
Ok so if anyone can give me a rundown on how water and methanol injection works I would greatly appreciate it! I just bout my first mini, it has 15% pulley, CAI, and catback. I want to get W/M but i have no idea how it works and how to install it, All i know is that it makes your intake temps cooler. My car is a DD btw but I dont mind a little inconvenience for more power as I am a hardcore car guy.
W/M injection in general does two things, cools the intake charge and enriches the fuel, the methanol part of the equation basically raises the fuels octane level, the higher the octane, the less chance of detonation, the less chance of detonation, the more advance you can run with the timing, the more timing, the better the power potential.

So... With this in mind, your intended use (cooling or power) will determine your mix ratios and the quality of kit you should choose.
Menthol itself is a more corrosive fuel, so the higher the ratio of meth, the better the seals and lines for the kit should be.

Installation depends on the kit you choose, the kit you choose "should" depend on your intended use. But in general it requires a pump, fluid reservoir and spray jetting tapped into the intake system.

For just cooling, a simple, boost referenced, less expensive kit is just fine.
For power and tuning purposes, a better quality kit is suggested, not only for the above mentioned parts, but the way the mixture is delivered, like injector duty cycle referencing (not just boost) and also built in safeguards for delivery faults or malfunctions.
The safeguards should be an absolute must if you're tuned for the mixture, if there's a problem, and the mixture doesn't flow properly, with the advanced timing, and tuning, you could easily damage your engine if you don't get the desired spray.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-24-2019 at 07:18 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlwnAway:
Goldsmithy (02-24-2019), meanmini135 (02-26-2019), veedubpat (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 AM
meanmini135
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
W/M injection in general does two things, cools the intake charge and enriches the fuel, the methanol part of the equation basically raises the fuels octane level, the higher the octane, the less chance of detonation, the less chance of detonation, the more advance you can run with the timing, the more timing, the better the power potential.

So... With this in mind, your intended use (cooling or power) will determine your mix ratios and the quality of kit you should choose.
Menthol itself is a more corrosive fuel, so the higher the ratio of meth, the better the seals and lines for the kit should be.

Installation depends on the kit you choose, the kit you choose "should" depend on your intended use. But in general it requires a pump, fluid reservoir and spray jetting tapped into the intake system.

For just cooling, a simple, boost referenced, less expensive kit is just fine.
For power and tuning purposes, a better quality kit is suggested, not only for the above mentioned parts, but the way the mixture is delivered, like injector duty cycle referencing (not just boost) and also built in safeguards for delivery faults or malfunctions.
The safeguards should be an absolute must if you're tuned for the mixture, if there's a problem, and the mixture doesn't flow properly, with the advanced timing, and tuning, you could easily damage your engine if you don't get the desired spray.
Thanks blwnaway! that was exactly what I was looking for, very informative. How much power did it add to your car, or how much do you think it would add to mine??
And this also has me thinking, wouldn't a 50 shot of nitrous do the same thing technically and add even more power?

Old 02-25-2019, 04:47 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Just a little more info.......I have a meth injection kit on my car. Pieced it together from parts I bought online (pump, lines, relays, nozzles, etc, etc,).....about half the price of the "kits" you can buy, and it works great. I mainly did it to keep intake/charge temps down in the summer time, and help increase the octane when running the 91 octane fuel in my area (can't find 93 any more). It did get rid of any pinging/detonation....but as far as any kind of power increase, I'm not feeling it. Maybe if you get a tune set up for running meth where you can run more timing...then I could see it bumping up the power a little bit.

I run a 50/50 mix of distilled water an VP M-1 Methanol. I have it hooked to a boost reference switch...anything over 10psi of booth and it's spraying.

And yes.....a 50hp shot would also cool down the intake charge (a lot more than meth), and you would have that 50+hp boost on top of it. Just make sure you have it jetted correctly, and check your spark plugs for any sign of detonation. I've ran larger nitrous systems on a few other cars....the problem I would be worried about on a mini is that you are probably just going to spin the hell out of the tires in 1st-3rd gears.......so not really practical on the street.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:16 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by meanmini135
Thanks blwnaway! that was exactly what I was looking for, very informative. How much power did it add to your car, or how much do you think it would add to mine??
And this also has me thinking, wouldn't a 50 shot of nitrous do the same thing technically and add even more power?
As far as power gains, used just for cooling, it should net you 5-10 hp depending on the ambient temps.
But for tuning, it's near impossible to say.
Remember, your parts make the power, and tuning simply optimizes the way those parts work together. So if adding methanol helps by being able to advance timing, the amount of gain is really determined by if your parts can utilize the extra timing or not.
AS for me, I can't tell you, we won't be doing my W/M tuning until next month some time, plus my setup being turbo converted, it's a completely different set of circumstances, since we'll be able to add boost as well.

Nitrous, yes it can accomplish the same thing as far as cooling and will give you the additional power.
It's actually not a bad option for the Mini, on a stock bottom end and head bolts you would absolutely want to do a Wet Shot and limit yourself to a 100 shot MAX, with no tuning,

If you'd really be interested in nitrous, besides putting together or buying a system, you'd need to go one more step colder on your plugs (you should already be one step colder with your pulley) and I would really suggest the addition of an AFR gauge (preferably with logging software) so you don't have to rely on calculations alone for fuel jet tuning.
With a 50 shot, you'd really only be looking at traction issues (with an LSD) in 1St gear, with your mods, but you really wouldn't need to use it in first much anyway.
​​​​​​

Last edited by BlwnAway; 02-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlwnAway:
Andy_S (02-25-2019), meanmini135 (03-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
For those of you who are running meth kits on your mini...what size nozzle are you using? I'm running a Devils Own 2gpm....I'm wondering if it's too small?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Wow thats the old madness IC, so cool to see that.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 AM
sirnixalot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Left is no water injection and right is 100% water with a 3gph nozzle.

The following users liked this post:
veedubpat (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 AM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Much nicer looking AFRs on top of the IATs getting down nicely!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
What are you using to log your IAT's? Did you have to add a sensor?

Old 02-27-2019, 11:48 AM
sirnixalot
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
What are you using to log your IAT's? Did you have to add a sensor?
ByteTronik is what took that log. It's logging the stock MAP-T sensor