R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 heavy handed moderations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Revolution Motor Works
Vendor
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JrTr
[size=3]I watched the thread and had a few posts. Maybe because I have a Thumper head some thought I was Mike Schultz and then at the end one guy thought I was the guy that started the thread. [/size]

[size=3]Seen this happen over and over. Guy makes a post about a Thumperhead and Jan and Jan wanntabees start attacking. On this one, the guy started out nice but each time they attacked he smacked them back, At the end somebody deleted maybe 3 weeks of his posts and left all the attacking ones.[/size]

[size=3]Now poof and its all gone. It sucks as the posts on bytetronik with the log graphs were really good. But say anything bad about Jan and your gone baby.[/size]
really? I have seen you attack me on most threads when my name is mentioned.....Hi pot , meet kettle
regardless, there will never be a real challenge on these topics because everyone is scared to see a real test , head to head, same day......I'll start a thread and we will see who will step up so the world can see the truth instead of marketing garbage

Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Mini_Crazy
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
^^^^. I'd like to see that "real challenge".

A head-to-head performance build, sort of like a MINI version of the Engine Masters Challenge. I like it!

If organized well (all significant components, including cams must be disclosed), and they run on the same dyno, the result would be a clear path to making serious power from our little engines.

Definitely a fun thought.

The following users liked this post:
Goldsmithy (03-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:30 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Yep..that would be pretty awesome!!

Old 03-06-2019, 04:44 PM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
So why did ThumpeR52 (previously Whine Not Walnuts) get banned??
I've seen recent posts, and read his farewell from being a moderator, don't think that qualifies and banned???? Am I missing something?

Old 03-06-2019, 07:44 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
If you go to his profile page....it says "banned" under his user name. I'm assuming that means he's been banned. That and the fact that I haven't seen a single post from him since that thumper head thread got locked down. Unless I'm wrong....everything I've seen leads me to believe he's been banned.

​​​​​Who knows....he might be on here under yet another user name. He's already got two....what's to stop him from having three or four?

Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by rondayvous
I've seen recent posts, and read his farewell from being a moderator, don't think that qualifies and banned???? Am I missing something?
ThumpeR52 and a few other members are currently banned because of personal attacks between each other, both in private messages and the open forum.
Threads have gotten out of hand, and it has happened before with other members, but is quite often not permanent. (I was hoping it wouldn't happen with his thread, but unfortunately I could see it heading that way once again) Jan was even banned a while ago, but he's back now. Only time will tell about ThumpeR52.

Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
​​​​​Who knows....he might be on here under yet another user name. He's already got two....what's to stop him from having three or four?
I'm sorry but these are the kind of speculative statements that scared away that new user a few weeks ago, for simply asking a question.

As far as him having different user names, I only knew of 2, one (Whine Not Walnuts) from when he was a site administrator (not moderator, there is a difference), and the other (ThumpeR52) which he coined once he was no longer an administrator, as to separate the two different time frames on the forum. (This was all explained clearly in one of the now defunct posts)

And while it's possible to re-join with a new name, you'd have to do it from a completely different IP address and e-mail, plus cover a few more bases for admins and mods to not realise who you are.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:47 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
I know moderating a forum is a thankless job, especially now that a lot of newbies don't bother to post at the right places. On excellent thread like My bigger valve head, TPR2, journey we certainly understand that some of the offensive post should be censored and/or deleted. It would be more constructive to give warnings and utilize penal system MiniTorque uses. Offending member get to sit out for a week, for example. IMHO SquawSkiBum acted heavy handedly by burying the entire thread. It was bad enough to even locking it.
pnwR53S, I have read many of your informative and thoughtful posts and have great respect for you. Members like you help make NAM a great place. That said, I have to give my perspective on your comments about acting in a heavy handed manner by closing ThumpR52's thread.

Yes moderation is a mostly thankless task that takes a lot of time for not much appreciation and even less pay. Most of the moderators have never met in person, but we have developed a camaraderie and respect for each other from the shared experience. Personally, I believe a light touch is best for moderation, and that a lively debate based on facts and information should be encouraged. ThumpR52's thread stared off as a great thread, but unfortunately spiraled into a mess of trolling and name calling. Anyone who followed the thread has opinions on who was contributing constructively and who was not. Yes I am being very careful to not name names and provide my own opinions, in keeping with forum guidelines regarding personal attacks.

The moderators put a lot of time and thought into trying to keep that thread under control and on topic, it was incredibly frustrating and unfortunately we were not successful and had to close the thread. Yes we were warning people to behave. There was a lot of discussion among the moderators, we really tried and gave a lot of members a lot of slack. Speaking for myself, I was VERY unhappy about the way it ended up. Maybe one day when I have some spare time I will go back and edit the thread and bring it back so the information and history is there for others to read.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 03-06-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 PM
squawSkiBum
I would like to remind everyone of the Forum Guidelines: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-motoring.html
A few excerpts:

RESPECT
When posting, both members and vendors must ALWAYS be respectful of fellow members and vendors. Personal attacks, trolling/baiting, deliberate antagonizing, and flaming will not be tolerated.

POLITICS & BANNING
Discussions related to politics and banning are not permitted.

Further discussion is welcome, within the forum guidelines of course. I think all the moderators are open to hearing comments about where members think we could improve. But be careful, you might end up getting asked to join the crew.

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 03-06-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:48 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
ThumpeR52 and a few other members are currently banned because of personal attacks between each other, both in private messages and the open forum.
Threads have gotten out of hand, and it has happened before with other members, but is quite often not permanent. (I was hoping it wouldn't happen with his thread, but unfortunately I could see it heading that way once again) Jan was even banned a while ago, but he's back now. Only time will tell about ThumpeR52.

I'm sorry but these are the kind of speculative statements that scared away that new user a few weeks ago, for simply asking a question.

As far as him having different user names, I only knew of 2, one (Whine Not Walnuts) from when he was a site administrator (not moderator, there is a difference), and the other (ThumpeR52) which he coined once he was no longer an administrator, as to separate the two different time frames on the forum. (This was all explained clearly in one of the now defunct posts)

And while it's possible to re-join with a new name, you'd have to do it from a completely different IP address and e-mail, plus cover a few more bases for admins and mods to not realise who you are.
Thanks for the info, I figured it was something like that. He had PM'd me a few times (not sure why), and he was pretty nasty with the insults. I just ignored him. It sounds like I wasn't the only one he must have done that too.

I like the posts on the "high dollar" engine mods that most people don't mess with (heads, cams, full motor builds, turbos, etc etc). Hopefully some more posts like that will pop up.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:38 AM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
in private messages
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
POLITICS & BANNING
Discussions related to politics and banning are not permitted.
Whatever the difference is between a moderator and a site administrator (as you define them) is trivial in the context of this conversation as a site administrator generally has WAY more authority over a site than a moderator.
Banned for private messages? Really? Is it not possible to block a user from sending you private messages? Why would you ever ban someone for a private message?
Which brings me to the second quote. I suppose I will now be banned for discussing banning?

As a new user here I have to agree with the title of this post. That and the poorly functioning "New Posts" menu selection that seems to run on some unquantifiable algorIthm makes what would otherwise be a useful forum seem unfriendly.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:07 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Whatever the difference is between a moderator and a site administrator (as you define them) is trivial in the context of this conversation as a site administrator generally has WAY more authority over a site than a moderator.
Banned for private messages? Really? Is it not possible to block a user from sending you private messages? Why would you ever ban someone for a private message?
Which brings me to the second quote. I suppose I will now be banned for discussing banning?

As a new user here I have to agree with the title of this post. That and the poorly functioning "New Posts" menu selection that seems to run on some unquantifiable algorIthm makes what would otherwise be a useful forum seem unfriendly.
Not for sending private messages, for the content of those messages.
PM content may be private amongst the users, but they are not private from the moderators.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:23 AM
squawSkiBum
Not for sending private messages, for the content of those messages.
PM content may be private amongst the users, but they are not private from the moderators.
No, moderators can not see PMs between other users. Besides, that would be creepy.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
No, moderators can not see PMs between other users. Besides, that would be creepy.
My bad, I guess it's just "some" forums, I've been told that it was to avoid these types of situations, and since it was "their" forum, the administrators of that forum, had the right to do so.

I stand corrected for NAM, thanks

Old 03-07-2019, 08:52 AM
rondayvous
2nd Gear
To which I refer back to my original quote and question. Why would PM's be a ground for Banning from Public forums? Doesn't make sense. If someone has a beef and keeps it private, no matter how obnoxious, that shouldn't result in public banning.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
To which I refer back to my original quote and question. Why would PM's be a ground for Banning from Public forums? Doesn't make sense. If someone has a beef and keeps it private, no matter how obnoxious, that shouldn't result in public banning.
Since I've been corrected about the PM's, it had to have been solely on the public, off topic, personal attacks.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 AM
squawSkiBum
As I said before, the way the whole situation with ThumpR52 and the big valve thread ended up left me very unhappy. Behavior by multiple people posting in that thread was very disappointing and discouraging. I don't think there's anything to be gained by re-hashing it. Just remember the forum guideline about Respect - it doesn't mean we all have to agree, but it does set boundaries.

In my career as a moderator, other than spammers, I have banned only one user (no, not ThumpR52) and sincerely regretted having to do so because while the guy could be abrasive at times, he did have interesting input. But for some reason he went off the rails spreading obscenity and baiting people and we had no choice. (Spammers of course are instantly "executed", but another one seems to pop up almost daily. We have even banned some ranges of IP addresses that correlate to the spam factories.)

Rondayvous, I don't know anything about you other than you're new here at NAM, settle in and relax and get to understand the community. Like any group, we have our internal disagreements from time to time. As a very rough analogy, imagine you got dropped into medieval France right after the end of the 100 Years War and started asking "what was all that about?" That's kind of what this thread is doing. Like any community, there's a set of norms around behavior at NAM that won't necessarily be the same as on other forums or communities. Since NAM is has a growing member base and has remained an active forum, we must be doing something right.

If people want to PM me about this general topic, please do.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:07 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I've been on here for years....and everyone has always been nice and civil. When people disagree, they have an educated and down to earth debate, and it's done. I've been on some other forums where it's nothing but people attacking each other 24/7......I'm glad NAM isn't like that.

The guy from the cylinder head thread (you know the one) was going overboard with the insults when people would do nothing more than ask a simple question. I'm ok if Mods want to ban people that intentionally attack others. That chases members away, and makes people afraid to share info and voice their opinion. That's counterproductive to the whole idea of a forum.